My Komaza Analysis/consultation

iLurk

Making this thread because I didn't want hijack someone else's thread. Well got this done because I've grown too frustrated with my hair not moving pass apl. I had clumps of hair in the strainer every time I washed but thought it was shedding which I thought the reason why my hair wasnt moving was because it was falling out.
Well it turns out it was brillo pad sized clumps of breakage.

From the images my hair was dry and lacking protein and some diminished root sheaths which I was told is on the cusp of damaged and healthy and could be a sign of thinning. My hair sample was mostly broken hairs so she didn't have many root sheaths to analyse in the sample but since there's not any evidence of my hair falling out due to lack of sheaths anyway I might be okay.

My diet sucks. I thought I got enough protein from food and supplements but no. Its not that protein products are failing me completely but protein in my diet just isn't getting to my hair and I need more in order to get the strength I need and help retain moisture.

What she suggested:

Protein shakes to help my diet out
Drink a little more water, I drink about 3 24 oz glasses a day
She liked the supplements that I'm currently taking so no need to drop any of those but suggested to add super greens and blackstrap molasses to the lineup
Protein treatment every 2 weeks with mild protein
Use a leave in with mild proteins in it after washing
Do not use products that have mineral oil and petroleum.
Co washes are unnecessary. Stick to washing once a week with shampoo.
Deep condition 1 time a month (isn't really that necessary if I use a good leave in)
My moisturising and sealing regime is really sealing the moisture out of the cortex. If I do decide to seal, do so very lightly, I use shea butter lotion mixed with oils to seal but thats too heavy so take a tiny dab of just the lotion.
Its okay to use cheap conditioners to help with detangling. Using fingers should be the #1 option to do so. Wide tooth combs are okay but paddle brushes would be better.
Also since my hair is so damaged she suggested that I chop off 1 inch right away and then trim 1/4th an inch every 8 weeks for a year and then afterwards 1/4th an inch every 12 weeks.

Also some specs about my hair:
Hair Porosity: High in damaged area
Hair Texture: .057mm-0.102mm Majority of the hair is Med with some fine and thick strands
Hair Length: 12 inches about 5-6 inches of new growth (was 25 weeks post at the time I sent my samples in)

Uggh trying to add the images and the forum won't let me :-/

Last edited:

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Adding protein to my diet has helped my nails and hair tremendously. I have never really been a big meat eater, but lately I've been eating lots of fish and poultry. I also drink protein shakes and I eat egg beaters and greek yogurt.

I added protein to lose weight, but it's good to know that my hair will benefit from it too.

mshoneyfly

Thanks for sharing your experience.

What moisturizer were you using with the shea butter lotion, if any?

ajargon02

Thanks for posting..I plan to get my analysis done soon
I ordered my analysis yesterday. I can't wait to see what they have to say. I had a MAJOR set back and had to take off 5-6 inches of damaged hair. I think I am back on track now though. So I am really interested in what they have to say.

alex114

Hmmm. As a self-diagnosed protein sensitive natural, I would be really interested in what an analysis would say about my lack of strong protein use. I deep condition weekly with a cocktail that has SM curl enhancing smoothie, which has silk protein pretty high up on the ingredient list (and i don't wash out my DC since it's all organic) but whenever I see posts touting/emphasizing the importance of regular protein treatments I get concerned that I'm not using enough.

Please let us know how more regular protein treatments work for your hair! :spinning:

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
^yeah because I find silk protein is not really a strengthening protein. My analysis said to do protein treatments every two weeks. I already knew my hair loved protein though.

almond eyes

Hmmm. As a self-diagnosed protein sensitive natural, I would be really interested in what an analysis would say about my lack of strong protein use. I deep condition weekly with a cocktail that has SM curl enhancing smoothie, which has silk protein pretty high up on the ingredient list (and i don't wash out my DC since it's all organic) but whenever I see posts touting/emphasizing the importance of regular protein treatments I get concerned that I'm not using enough.

Please let us know how more regular protein treatments work for your hair! :spinning:

I also wonder the same. I don't mind protein treatments but the protein as leave ins can lead to protein overload. Maybe the last of my one inch colored ends don't like the protein.

Best,
Almond Eyes

alex114

@Froreal3 hmmm I suppose I need to look into that more deeply. I'm not seeing crazy breakage or anything and I have retained a lot of length with my current regimen, but I'm always trying to improve it and tweak it, you know? Also I never knew that about silk protein. Do you know what its main function is, if not to strengthen?

@almond eyes gosh darn I hate that different parts of my hair require different treatment lol. For me it's the center and back of my hair -.- and of course the ends-- that's the part of my hair I'm convinced I need to find a regular and effective protein treatment for.

almond eyes

@Froreal3 hmmm I suppose I need to look into that more deeply. I'm not seeing crazy breakage or anything and I have retained a lot of length with my current regimen, but I'm always trying to improve it and tweak it, you know? Also I never knew that about silk protein. Do you know what its main function is, if not to strengthen?

@almond eyes gosh darn I hate that different parts of my hair require different treatment lol. For me it's the center and back of my hair -.- and of course the ends-- that's the part of my hair I'm convinced I need to find a regular and effective protein treatment for.

I guess that's it!!!!I never realized that different parts of the hair can require different treatments. I know some women who never use protein at all and their hair thrives I've tried it but my hair needs protein treatments followed by a moisturising conditioner. But the front of my hair is the most challenging.

Ogoma

I did my analysis 3 years ago and she didn't mention anything about more proteins to me. My strands are medium. But, I have used Curl Junkie Repair Me (and at one point Bask Vanilla Whiskey) every 4-8 weeks from almost the start of my journey. That is the only time protein touches my hair. It seems safe to assume, anyone that has avoided all proteins for years, probably needs some.

Last edited: