My Komaza Hair Analysis Results

caribeandiva

Human being
I had my consultation with Jenn 2 days ago. I was getting frustrated with my hair and needed answers. I sent her hair from the front, back and sides of my hair in separate baggies. I wanted to be as thorough as possible. The slides she sent made my heart sink. Slide after slide show that my hair is dry, dry, dry with lots of lifted cuticles and mid shaft splits everywhere! And of course breakage. Here are her recommendations:

1. Up my protein intake preferably through foods but protein supplements are a good option too. My body's not getting enough and my hair suffers as a result.

2. Do more protein treatments. Do mild protein treatments every 2 weeks because that will help my hair hold a lot more moisture thus solving the dryness issue. She recommendes her protein hair strengthner.

3. Immediately cut 1.5 inches off by a professional stylist. Why? Because my $10 Sally's beauty supply shears are not sharp enough to trim well. This is very important. She said only have stylists with high quality, super sharp cutting shears cut my hair. Otherwise cheap hair scissors cause more splits! Even if you use them on your hair exclusively (She's done experiments with this). I've been trimming my own hair for the past 2 years so that makes a lot of sense. You better believe I called my stylist asap and made an appointment for this Saturday for my cut! Then 1/4 inch trims every 3 months no excuses.

4. There's no safe, careful way to lighten your hair color without damaging it. period.

5. I need to be moisturizing my hair at least every 2 days with a good daily moisturizer such as the Komaza coconut damage control serum/ Calafia moisturizing spray followed by the shea butter lotion. If my hair is braided then moisturize with their Coconut curl moisturizing spray. If I do that then I can keep wigging and it'll be no problem. (I thought my wig cap was drying my hair out).

6. Vary the place of my buns, ponytails and braids because she was concerned about the number of indentations on my strands.

7. No cowashing ever because it's like washing your face with lotion and it interferes with hair growth. (I never really did anyway). Shampoo every week and there should really be no need for clarifying. Use ACV as a clarifyer if I want but i don't have to. Thank goodness cuz i hate the smell of ACV.

8. Since I have a dry, itchy scalp I should prepoo with coconut oil for 20 mins. Make sure I get it on my scalp.

9. Take the vitamin D3 2000 iu twice a day. Also take 2 spoonfuls of black strap molasses a day to help shrink the fibroids that are making me anemic. Make sure my iron levels are always up.

10. Drink a little more water and keep exercising.

11. Baking soda is bad for hair. She was glad I stopped doing those treatments.

caribeandiva

Human being
She also told me that my hair is thick with normal porosity. She said most people with kinky hair have normal to high porosity and that the hair strand in a glass of water porosity test is a joke. That test told me I had low porosity hair which is why I was doing the baking soda treatments.

sikora

Thanks for sharing! I submitted my samples last week and I'm guessing my results may be similar to yours. I went to a professional stylist yesterday to get a layered cut and she told me there was a lot of damage and I made a good decision to get the style I selected. She said there was a big difference between the thickness and quality of my hair at the root vs the ends. I believe I cut off 4 to 5 inches yesterday.

Best believe I will be in her seat every 2 to 3 months to trim my ends. Like you, I was trimming at home with some "professional" shears I bought on Amazon.

caribeandiva

Human being
Thanks for sharing! I submitted my samples last week and I'm guessing my results may be similar to yours. I went to a professional stylist yesterday to get a layered cut and she told me there was a lot of damage and I made a good decision to get the style I selected. She said there was a big difference between the thickness and quality of my hair at the root vs the ends. I believe I cut off 4 to 5 inches yesterday.

Best believe I will be in her seat every 2 to 3 months to trim my ends. Like you, I was trimming at home with some "professional" shears I bought on Amazon.
@sikora Wow, you cut a lot of hair off!! Isn't that amazing that trimming your own hair with cheap shears does more harm than good? I'll be in my stylist's seat every 3 months like clockwork too. :lol: I can't afford any more setbacks.

Evolving78

Will your purchase more expensive high quality shears, or will you go to the salon?
Now that I'm back to being natural, I use shampoo weekly, but cowash daily. I wear wash and goes. I'm also color treated, so I know I can't shampoo daily. I wonder what they recommend for people that need to wash daily?

Nazaneen

I use Revlon brow scissors (ones reserved exclusively for my hair) to trim.
They are very sharp.
How would anyone know that a stylists shears are properly sharp?

I still think its best to use your own sharp scissors rather than rely on a stylist for sharp scissors lol

What kind of magical shears do stylists have?

Evolving78

I use Revlon brow scissors (ones reserved exclusively for my hair) to trim.
They are very sharp.
How would anyone know that a stylists shears are properly sharp?

I still think its best to use your own sharp scissors rather than rely on a stylist for sharp scissors lol

What kind of magical shears do stylists have?
They get theirs sharpened and spend a lot of money on them. I once had a pair that cost me $200. Best shears I ever had. My mom gave my cosmetology school kit away... They can get extremely pricey. Most people aren't gonna spend that much. It is a good investment though.

nothidden

TeamNatural95-Fractals/Zigzags
She also told me that my hair is thick with normal porosity. She said most people with kinky hair have normal to high porosity and that the hair strand in a glass of water porosity test is a joke. That test told me I had low porosity hair which is why I was doing the baking soda treatments.
I was never a fan of that strand test for porosity. Glad you received such detailed info. The last time I used baking soda on my hair, it felt terrible. I stopped using it last fall/winter.

caribeandiva

Human being
Will your purchase more expensive high quality shears, or will you go to the salon?
Now that I'm back to being natural, I use shampoo weekly, but cowash daily. I wear wash and goes. I'm also color treated, so I know I can't shampoo daily. I wonder what they recommend for people that need to wash daily?
I'm going to the salon. Stylists's shears tend to be high quality, expensive and get sharpened on a regular basis because that's their job. A good pair can easily cost $200-300.

curlicarib

Lovin'' All of Me
I got my shears at Sally's on sale for $60. I haven't had them sharpened yet, but I have no split end issues. I'd rather invest in a decent pair of shears than pay a SHS to trim (cut) my hair. Even if they cost you $200, how much does it cost to get your hair trimmed? Over and over again? Do the math. It's probably more cost effective to trim yourself.

But I have trust issues.

gemruby41

I mailed my hair samples on Monday, and I'm anxiously waiting. I'm afraid, I'll be told my hair is in really bad shape. I just want to start fresh and know exactly what I need to do instead of experimenting.

How long did the process take from the time you submitted your hair samples?

caribeandiva

Human being
I mailed my hair samples on Monday, and I'm anxiously waiting. I'm afraid, I'll be told my hair is in really bad shape. I just want to start fresh and know exactly what I need to do instead of experimenting.

How long did the process take from the time you submitted your hair samples?
@gemruby41 The whole process took about 3-4 weeks.

Nazaneen

I got my shears at Sally's on sale for $60. I haven't had them sharpened yet, but I have no split end issues. I'd rather invest in a decent pair of shears than pay a SHS to trim (cut) my hair. Even if they cost you $200, how much does it cost to get your hair trimmed? Over and over again? Do the math. It's probably more cost effective to trim yourself.

But I have trust issues.

All of this :lol:

the scissors would probably pay for themselves in under a year

curlytwirly06

Really....no co-washing? Also I know people who have self trimmed for years with kitchen shears and had no problems but I guess everyone is different. I self trim and have not had that issue. For me my growth deterrent has been keeping a proper protein- moisture balance and trimming on time, along with lowering manipulation and not using bad tools. Every head is different. Look at nap85. She washes once a month with clay and just wets her hair and uses butters.

Last edited:

iLurk

Thanks for sharing seems like a lot of us have results needing more protein. Only thing I would be cautious about is the vitamin D though. Was always advised don't mess with it unless you truly are deficient cause it can be toxic if you overdose.

sikora

All of this :lol:

the scissors would probably pay for themselves in under a year

But if she was advised not to do so and has seen the negative effects of cutting her own hair, why would she choose to sabotage her efforts? If at-home trimming works for you, fine, but it clearly didn't work for her (or me).

I personally have no problem paying $40-$50 every 3 months if it means that my length retention would no longer be hindered.

mshoneyfly

Thanks for sharing seems like a lot of us have results needing more protein. Only thing I would be cautious about is the vitamin D though. Was always advised don't mess with it unless you truly are deficient cause it can be toxic if you overdose.

Yes but a lot of AA people are deficient in Vitamin D; especially in the colder months and if we live in large cities and/or don't spend much time in the sun.

curlicarib

Lovin'' All of Me
But if she was advised not to do so and has seen the negative effects of cutting her own hair, why would she choose to sabotage her efforts? If at-home trimming works for you, fine, but it clearly didn't work for her (or me).

I personally have no problem paying $40-$50 every 3 months if it means that my length retention would no longer be hindered.

But she specifically said that she has CHEAP $10 scissors which weren't sharp enough. She can buy PROFESSIONAL scissors for $60 - $100 instead of spending $160 - $200 per year. And she'd be assured of NOT having all of her growth, and then some, cut off by a SHS.

There is nothing special about a stylist cut except the quality of the scissors. If you have the right scissors, you can do it yourself.

But again, I do have stylist trust issues.

L.Brown1114

I put my hair in twists and cut my ends with cheap scissors. I really should go to a professional. I only trust white women at an all male salon because they are use to cutting and use to cutting off a small amount. Only people that don't chop my hair off

Nazaneen

But she specifically said that she has CHEAP $10 scissors which weren't sharp enough. She can buy PROFESSIONAL scissors for $60 - $100 instead of spending $160 - $200 per year. And she'd be assured of NOT having all of her growth, and then some, cut off by a SHS.

There is nothing special about a stylist cut except the quality of the scissors. If you have the right scissors, you can do it yourself.

But again, I do have stylist trust issues.
right and how do we know whether a stylist has even sharpened their scissors of late ?
some of them are lazy/dont gaf etc lol.

greenandchic

I've gone to a black women before but they don't stay for long. They usually start doing hair at home or switch to a black salon. I live in an all white small town lol

I feel you. I live in a very white city too and there is no one,that I know of, that practice healthy hair care. The last person that cut my hair in 2010 was a white women (and she did a great job).

TLC1020

Did you go on their website and go from there?

I had my consultation with Jenn 2 days ago. I was getting frustrated with my hair and needed answers. I sent her hair from the front, back and sides of my hair in separate baggies. I wanted to be as thorough as possible. The slides she sent made my heart sink. Slide after slide show that my hair is dry, dry, dry with lots of lifted cuticles and mid shaft splits everywhere! And of course breakage. Here are her recommendations:

1. Up my protein intake preferably through foods but protein supplements are a good option too. My body's not getting enough and my hair suffers as a result.

2. Do more protein treatments. Do mild protein treatments every 2 weeks because that will help my hair hold a lot more moisture thus solving the dryness issue. She recommendes her protein hair strengthner.

3. Immediately cut 1.5 inches off by a professional stylist. Why? Because my $10 Sally's beauty supply shears are not sharp enough to trim well. This is very important. She said only have stylists with high quality, super sharp cutting shears cut my hair. Otherwise cheap hair scissors cause more splits! Even if you use them on your hair exclusively (She's done experiments with this). I've been trimming my own hair for the past 2 years so that makes a lot of sense. You better believe I called my stylist asap and made an appointment for this Saturday for my cut! Then 1/4 inch trims every 3 months no excuses.

4. There's no safe, careful way to lighten your hair color without damaging it. period.

5. I need to be moisturizing my hair at least every 2 days with a good daily moisturizer such as the Komaza coconut damage control serum/ Calafia moisturizing spray followed by the shea butter lotion. If my hair is braided then moisturize with their Coconut curl moisturizing spray. If I do that then I can keep wigging and it'll be no problem. (I thought my wig cap was drying my hair out).

6. Vary the place of my buns, ponytails and braids because she was concerned about the number of indentations on my strands.

7. No cowashing ever because it's like washing your face with lotion and it interferes with hair growth. (I never really did anyway). Shampoo every week and there should really be no need for clarifying. Use ACV as a clarifyer if I want but i don't have to. Thank goodness cuz i hate the smell of ACV.

8. Since I have a dry, itchy scalp I should prepoo with coconut oil for 20 mins. Make sure I get it on my scalp.

9. Take the vitamin D3 2000 iu twice a day. Also take 2 spoonfuls of black strap molasses a day to help shrink the fibroids that are making me anemic. Make sure my iron levels are always up.

10. Drink a little more water and keep exercising.

11. Baking soda is bad for hair. She was glad I stopped doing those treatments.