My Marvin Experience...

vevster

My Marvin Experience.. lol!!

First off I have to say Jelani’s is the nicest black salon I have ever been to. Clean, neat and Quiet… no loud music, talking or GOSSIP.

I arrived at 10am and the place was already humming. The salon has a consultation / relaxer / colouring area with sinks, then a main area with stylist’s stations and dryers.

I just went for a wash / set and trim but the first thing that M said was that I needed a touch up. I gulped, “are you sure??!!” He said I had an inch and a half of new growth. I saw this also and agreed to the relaxer.

I filled out a client card while he based my scalp and did my relaxer. He was very fast. I must add here that I asked him if the relaxer was lye and he was nice enough to actually show me the tub of relaxer to assure me it was lye(sodium hydroxide). I thought that was great; no ‘I am the stylist let me do my job’ crap.

I asked him what condition my hair was in and he said an 8 out of 10(thumbs up!) /images/graemlins/grin.gif

His assistant rinsed out my relaxer then applied a LHC forum favorite <font color="purple">Mizani Moisturfuse </font color> and let that sink in for a while. She then applied the neutralizer shampoo and final post relaxer conditioner.

I sat in Marvin’s chair and we discussed what I wanted. He gave me long layers. I maintained my length and have a bit more fullness. His assistant set my hair in wire rollers and I sat under the drier for about 45-50 minutes.

Just like Pumpkin, after my set had dried, he wrapped me and put me back under the dryer for 15 minutes. He then combed me out and I LOVED the way it looked. The only sad thing is that it was raining terribly in NY and I didn’t have a hat soooo my style is gone right now /images/graemlins/frown.gif I wanted to cry cause Marvin is NOT CHEAP. Never again: next time I will be ghetto fab and wear a clean plastic conditioning cap over my hair to protect it from the rain.

Ok, enough pleasantries I know you want to hear the product recs…

My hair is very fine so he said I had to watch it with the oils. He recced BioSilk serum as a hair dressing for me.

Hairline: ORS Temple Balm

Shampoo: Aveda Shampure

Conditioners: Aveda Shampure, ORS hair mayonnaise(of course!), Motions CPR

Leave ins: Wella Reconstructor or Sebastian Potion #9

Marvin on Cellophanes: He said he hadn’t used cellophanes since 1992. He says cellophanes leach when wet. He uses a similar product by Joico.

Marvin on relaxers: He really likes Mizani. He also uses Affirm but only on 10% of his clients. He hates Motions(which I had been using) :-O

That’s it, guys... Hope I wasn’t too windy…..

Nyambura

surfer girl
Great review, Vevster! /images/graemlins/smile.gif No too windy at all. Makes me wish I lived in New York with access to all these great stylists {sigh...}./images/graemlins/smirk.gif I'm glad you had such a positive salon experience.

Your hair sounds similar to mine so my antenna went up when you talked about Cellophanes - what did Marvin mean by them leaching when wet? /images/graemlins/shocked.gif I've been an avid user so any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks Vevster for the detailed post. Talk about a world apart from Joseph... /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Btw, I still have Sebastian Potion no.9. I may have to 'resurrect' it and see how I like it /images/graemlins/wink.gif

LMK how you get on with All the products you got, esp. the ORS temple balm.

Kitkat

Thanks for posting your experience, Vevster! I'm glad that you were happy with your results. Marvin really sounds like he's the man. I don't think you were 'too windy' - you gave lots of good detail. Sorry that your hair fell because of the rain. Don't you HATE when that happens?!!

Did Marvin say why he hates Motions relaxer?

vevster

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
what did Marvin mean by them leaching when wet?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, he said that if you got caught in the rain the colour would leach out being really messy -- over clothes etc. I currently use Cellophanes clear however, in the past I have used colour and never experienced this problem ever..

vevster

Did Marvin say why he hates Motions relaxer?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, he said that the only thing he would use motions for would be to smooth his beard /images/graemlins/grin.giflol Motions did the job for me tho... he said Motions doesn't perform to his standard.

Lita

It's good when you go to a salon and have nice results /images/graemlins/laugh.gif. Glad it went well for you /images/graemlins/smile.gif. Happy Hair Growing! /images/graemlins/cool.gif

daviine

8 out of 10---that's pretty good! I wonder what he'll say when I go to him. 1 1/2 inches of new grotwh that's great...I don't seem to have that much new growth this time around-- maybe its seasonal. So, ummm...stupid question....but should I have made my appointment already?

I guess I'm nervous and procrastinating......how much is a wash and set anyway?

pebbles

His assistant rinsed out my relaxer then applied a LHC forum favorite Mizani Moisturfuse and let that sink in for a while. She then applied the neutralizer shampoo and final post relaxer conditioner.

[/ QUOTE ]
Very interesting. I love mizani moisturfuse. I didn't know you could use it like that. I notice now that a lot of hairdressers are conditioning the hair before using a neutralizing shampoo. There must be some great benefit to doing it this way.

LondonDiva

Vevster Congrats on the 1.5 inches of new growth and the hair appointment with Marvin sounded great. When I next visit NYC I will book my appointment way before I get there. I've never been to a salon for a chemical treatment but he sounds very reliable.

vevster

I guess I'm nervous and procrastinating......how much is a wash and set anyway?

[/ QUOTE ]

All his pricing is on his website http://www.macstyle.net

daviine

Thanks vevster. I've been on the site before but I think I missed the prices somehow...or forgot what they were.

lshevonne

Now I wish I lived in NY. His site is also great.
Wear that plastic bag next time girl. LOL /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Robin41

Thanks for sharing your experience. I haven't checked out Marvin's website yet but maybe I'll try him for a wash and set. What I really want to know is how much $$$ they charged you and even more important, how long did you have to be there for a touch-up w/doobie dry?

My biggest pet peeve about salons is the TIME factor. If I met one stylist who didn't overbook and did a good job on my hair, I'd be a lifetime customer.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Hey, that's fantastic! Though your hair probably is a /images/graemlins/cool.gif

I am most pleased to hear that someone gave you layers without taking away your length. I had layers done twice and both times the length was smacked off.

He recommended Biosilk Serum for your hair dressing? If he iss talking about the Silk Therapy, that one has SD alcohol in it which is one of the bad ones /images/graemlins/frown.gif --Elucence has a similar product minus the alcohol.

Hair Care Hugs To Ya!

vevster

What I really want to know is how much $$$ they charged you and even more important, how long did you have to be there for a touch-up w/doobie dry?

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a touch up, hair cut and style and it came to $145 not incl. tip. It was expensive..but I'm worth it /images/graemlins/smile.gif It didn't take a long time at all. He doesn't over book clients. I was never kept waiting... It took about 2 hours and 15 minutes.......

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
It didn't take a long time at all. He doesn't over book clients. I was never kept waiting... It took about 2 hours and 15 minutes.......

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that's what I'm talking about! I've waited to be serviced longer than that! The $145+ bill leaves a lump in my throat, though... But I'm a country girl. /images/graemlins/grin.gif Only people in Atlanta pay that much for a 'do. But a few months ago I would have gladly paid that amount to a stylist in a ghetto fab-free enviornment who was knowledgeable, fast and courteous.
One question: Did he know you were from an Internet hair board?
(Remember how nice Natasha got when she found out?)

vevster

One question: Did he know you were from an Internet hair board?

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't mention it... I put 'Internet' in the referred by box..

Ennyaa

His site is nice and his prices seem pretty similar to where I go now. I work on 31st between 9th and 10th, not too far hmmm... I might call him to go for a wash and set but I know he's gonna tell me I need a touch up so I'll wait till after I get my next texturizer. I'm not willing to drop over $100 just now. Your experience sounded wonderful though.

G

Congratulations Vevster! I'm so glad you are happy with your hair and salon experience!! It sounds like Marvin will be a keeper for you! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sorry to hear your hair got wet. /images/graemlins/mad.gif I would have been upset about that too!