My second visit with Marvin (EXTREMELY LONG)

daviine

I arrived at my appointment maybe 10-15 minutes early. I didn't see Marvin but that was okay becasue I was trying to shove some french fries down my throat. His asssistant walked up to me and introduced herself to me as Liz (different assistant than last time). She told me to come over to the chair when I was ready and I went after I ate a few more fries. She based my scalp and when I looked at the time, it wasn't even 2 yet. (It was probably like 1:55--it may have even been 1:59). My appointment was for 2 so I thought this must be a good sign.

Marvin walked in, asked me how I was doing and left again. I saw him over by his chair finishing up a customer. I sat there with my scalp based until approximately 2:30 (2:29 if you want to be specific). There was another woman followmg Marvin around. She seemed to be important but she wasn't getting her hair done. He was showing her a book of photos (perhaps his work?). He was tryign to speak to her in between clients.

Anyways, I was about 14 weeks post relaxer so I was waiting to hear what kind of comments he would make. First thing out of his mouth--You need a trim bad.

He said its been a while since I came--where was I? I told him that I didn't have any time or money to come sooner (I'm on vacation and got paid this week). He thought I was holding out until Easter. Anyways, he told me that 2 months is pushing it and then I should come for a touchup every 6 weeks (at $100--no thank you--do I look like Ms. MoneyBags?).

Anyways, I could hear my new growth snapping as he applied the relaxer, I timed him and it took him 10 minutes from start to finish to apply. I remembered to wear contacts today but I was not seated in front of a mirror to see all that he was doing during the touchup. I did notice a fine tooth comb (like a rat tail) in his hand with relaxer and hairs coming out. I was not happy about that but just chalked it up to waiting so long before a touchup.

His assistant rinsed the relaxer out of my hair then applied Moisturefuse to my hair. I'm not sure how long the Moisturefuse was in my hair but I was able to watch him apply relaxer to another client's hair from where I was sitting. Her hair wasn't long at all and it seemed to me that he was slapping relaxer in. It seemed sloppily apllied and it seemed to me that in some areas the relaxer covered most of her short strands.....(Disclaimer: I'm not an expert. This is what it looked like to me and I never imagined that chemicals were to be applied like that). I wondered if he had applied it to my hair in the same manner. I hope not.

The assistant came back and rinsed the Moisturefuse out of my hair, and shampooed it. She applied Joico K-Pak leave in conditioner and a plastic cap and sat me in Marvin's chair.

Marvin comes over to me and with the scissors in his hand asks me if there's anything that I DON'RT wnat him to do to my hair. At first I was like no---but then I was like what do you mean...what do you think I might object to--he said a very thorough trim....I said if I need a trim then do it..

He starts trimming my hair and then said something about "slight layers". I almost freaked out. I asked him why the layers. He explained and I was okay with it but I'm not looking forward to trying to grow out layers. Hopefully they're slight just as he had said. I think he cut off of 1-2 in different areas. I wasn't expecting so much off but I guess its all for the best. Unfortunately, according to him, I have hairs that are damaged that he can't get to becasue they're in between regular long strands of hair but he said I could work with what I have. He also mentioned that the trim wasn't a trim but more of a cut but he wasn't charging me for it. I didn't really like the way he said it but I'm not about to argue with anyone who has scissors in their hand! I just said thanks.

He starts to rollerset my hair, and I'm watching closely in case there's anything I've missed as far as my own rollersetting techniques goes. I asked him what are end papers for----and he said--"Exactly what they say they're for--to hold the ends". I went on to explain to him what I meant by my question and he still didn't answer it to my satisfaction so I gave up....(Men don't listen
)

I realize this is getting long so to make a long story short..Marvin is not the stlyist for me. If I'm paying $100 to get my hair done, I don't expect to wait 30 minutes while you finish up clients. In fact--I expect to be your only client during that time slot. I'm not sure if I am hypersensitive but I just felt at times that he was talking down to me. Maybe that's the way he is but I don't need to pay $100 to feel less than thrilled when I leave a hair shop--I could pay $40 and feel the same way. I appreciate his scientific way of explaining things but that's about it.

I'm sure he knows a lot about hair but that doesn't make him an expert on my hair. He kept trying to tell me that I needed to take care of my hair by washing, conditioning, and rollersetiing. What makes him think I don't do that? That's all I do....
He makes it seem as though my hair is severely damaged or something. Maybe it is--he can see things that I can't. But if it is--I will attribute it to things---improperly applied relaxers over the years and/or diet. Don't tell me I need to condition my hair dude. At any rate, I can't afford him anyway.

So..thanks for reading my long post. Sorry it was so long. I think my hair is shorter than when I began my challenge but that's okay. I'm not usre about posting pics yet. I'm going to go back on my vitamins to play catch up and see what happens from there.

tc_333

D-

I am so sorry about your bad experience. I know that money's tight and to fork over hard-earned money to a person who seems to have a "couldn't care less" attitude towards you can make a sister angry.
I agree, he's not the one for you. But I'm glad you treated yourself and I really hope the next stylist you try is more sensitive!

T

daviine

Hey TC

Thanks. I kept trying top explain it to my bf but he says that my hair looks good anyways. He says it makes me look more womanly----what a stupid answer. He also said I was obsessed with my hair. Anyway, I couldn't post this yesterday I was too upset but I was ready to leave hairboards. Maybe I am obsessed but I'm not going to lie and say I'm leaving the hair boards becasue I know I can't and won't. What I am going to try to do is switch my obsession over to my body. I'm more dissatisfied with my body than myhair yet I don't do much about it. It's time for my body to get some much-needed attention....
Besides summer is almost here......

Happy Hair Growing Errybody!

NayNay

I hear u girl. I am sorry your experience wasn't the greatest either. I just 3 states away to get a relaxer. Daviine girl u have to try the KeraCare Humecto. I wait 3 months in between relaxers and usually the hairdresser has to tug thru my hair. Not this time girl! It was great. She bases me by parting the hair with a rat tooth too. She cut some of it. I am going to get trims every 6 weeks now. I figured 1/8-1/4 is better than an inch or more I probably get now every 3 months. I just had 6 inches or more cut in January and my hair is shorter than it was last July too
! But keep the chin up it will grow!!!!!!

NYCchild

Im sorry you had a bad experience. He's definately NOT for ya! I called him and was gonna go to him - but!- i had to call a lot (he was always busy) good for him im not really complaining, when he got on the phone (finally), he asked when i last had a relaxer - 7 weeks he said (why'd ya wait so long)?? hello - suppose i'd waited 12 weeks like i normally! he said other stuff and ill never forget - he said he gives trims with EVERY relaxer and i said i would not want one - he said "Im gonna talk you into one!"
Then he put me on hold for me to make an appointment with Natasha the recept. after 10mins. i hung up.
My spirit did not get a good vibe to begin with so.... and its better than go sit in the chair and see *BS* at which im tha type to get up and leave!
(sorry this was so long)

Keep looking sweetie, you'll find one that caters to your needs, listens to you and 'accomodate' you - thats certainly what im gona do!

daviine

The vibe thing is exactly it NYCchild---I don't vibe with him, we don't have a chemistry you know what I mean?

Thanks for posting--now I don't feel so crazy.....

NayNay...I definitely can understand why you drove so many states.....relaxers are not to be played with on people's hair....relaxing is serious ish man!

Allandra

Sorry you had a bad experience. Girl, I don't even live in NYC, and I don't even 'know' Marvin, but I can tell that he definitely wouldn't be the stylist for me.
Every six weeks? Forget it (for my hair at least). I'm sure he wants to keep his wallet fat though, but he wouldn't with my money.

Crysdon

A relaxer every 6 weeks. A trim with EVERY relaxer.

He has lost his mind. I wouldn't recommend him to anyone.

Daviine,

I'm really glad you posted this because at least we get to hear an all round tell it like you saw it view of Marvin and the way he treated you. I agree in that for $100, you expect him ONLY to be doing your hair from start to finish. That is what your money is for, not for assistants and then to sit for half an hour with base in your hair feeling like WTF?
If you felt he talked down to you then he was. You don't make up feelings like that. The salon reminds me of the Joseph salon fiasco where Natasha was apparently so 'in demand' that you wait with your head based by assistants, watching her flit between other customers until she can squeeze time in for you before moving on to someone else. That's BS and its the first and last time I ever want to sit around waiting with base in my hair like that for $100!. Anyway, I'm digressing....

I'm glad you got to watch him do another customer's relaxer so now you know how he works. Doesn't sound good if it was sloppy
And back to the same reason: for that kind of MONEY!!

Definitely move on to someone else. Let me know if you want more info. on what you asked me before.

ps. I agree in that looking after yourself is a wholelistic it approach and not just hair. But when you've got the right stylist you feel better about your hair too, not like you do now which is like blah

Ennyaa

****BIG FAT HUG****

Daviine I'm so sorry to hear about your bad experience and everything you said sounded on point to me. The second he said every six weeks for touch and trim that woulda been it for me. And I'm sorry but there is NO WAY ANY STYLIST can justify $100 for a touch up to me. I think that price is ridiculous especially given they don't even spend much time with you. I'm so nervous about finding a new place in ATL that I may stretch my touch up past 12 weeks. And I'm really leaning these days to smaller salons or even those who work out of their homes or something.

I'm sure your hair is still gorgeous because I know you're harder on your hair than you should be and as we all know it's gonna grow back stronger and more beautiful than ever. So don't be depressed and don't you DARE leave these boards. You know your sistas are gonna be here to support you no matter what.

NayNay

If I recall ur hair is pretty long. I am sure it is fine and beautiful as ever!!!!
Isnt it hard to find a beautician that doesnt believe that one kink needs to be DROWNED in relaxer! Your hair would never have been the length that is was if you didn't take care of it! SIGH!
If I find anyone here I will definitely post on the site good luck. And I know BRH seems to have a good beautician...she seems to understand her hand and won't scold u if you wait on a relaxer.....sigh our trials and tribulations!!!!!!
Hang in there CHICA!

vevster

Hey there,

I'm sorry you had a bad experience. I felt Marvin was good to my hair but not really worth the price to see him regularly. He will be cutting me in June tho.... that guy can cut! My cousin feels the same way - she likes Marvin but doesn't feel he is extraordinaire and for his prices we want extraordinaire! My hair is so maneagable and healthy since I went to Tonyce --love her. I'm doing some special treatments to see where I go from here.

I love my stylist in Queens, Tonyce.

daviine

Hey Vev----It's comforting to know that you think he can cut. I don't know much about cutting but at least I got a thorough trim from someone who can cut, as you say. I'm not really upset about the cut though--I know it had to be done---but it will take a little getting used to.

After I left, I thought of you, Tracy, and BRH in regards to my search for a new stylist. I'll probably be PMing you soon.

What kind of special treatmens are you doing if you don't mind sharing?

Thanks.

daviine

Girl--me leave these boards----NEVER---I'm an addict......and I'm on vacation too-----never me. Thanks so much for the BIG HUG.....

I've missed you posting, how is ATL treating you? Do you miss the tri-state area yet?

vevster

Well, for starters I am doing my hair myself instead of going to a salon - I have more control over what goes in my hair that way.

2. I switched shampoos -- loving and using Elucence.
3. I started using Phytocyane ampoules on my scalp(every shampoo.
4. I'm wrapping my hair every night
5. I am using and loving Carolyn Gray's healthier hair in a bottle -- I posted separately about this. This oil is a perfect hairdressing!

Already I am seeing glossier more maneageble hair. I'll keep you posted!

Armyqt

Hey daviine, I am also sorry to hear about this bad experience. I can definitley relate to feeling down and out about your hair. Some hairdressers are notorious for talking ish about people's hair. AS IF? I would have been pissed. I agree, he's not for you. After all the damn hard work youput in, how dare he says these things to you. I have seen your pics and your hair is gorgeous. ANyway, keep your head up girl, you'll get through this.

Ennyaa

Girl I can't miss the tri-state cuz my ass is still here!
. More like I'm SICK of the tri-state, but I FINALLY got my job situation straightened out and I'll be gone for good on May 3rd. So if you guys are still getting together on the 25th I'm there.

sweetcocoa

You had every reason to be upset...believe me, my behind going out the door would be the last part of me Marvin would ever see....

Kitkat

Daviine, I didn't read your post before I PM'd you, so forgive the redundant questions. I am SO SORRY you didn't have a great experience with Marvin. I remember when you posted about your first visit, you felt as if he was kinda talking down to you - wasn't he the one who said your hair was like a 7 out of 10 and he was being generous with that? Well, I say f*** him and all stylists who feel that talking down to customers is an appropriate way to do business. Why can't stylists just TRY to make us feel good about ourselves?
I mean, if he saw a specific problem with your hair, why not just tell you? Why hide the ball? I just don't get it. I guess they want us to come back to them so that they can be our hair saviors.

I agree with BRH - you felt uncomfortable for a reason and you weren't being hypersensitive. I think you hit the nail on the head when you said it's a question of chemistry, which he obviously doesn't have with you. You'll find the stylist for you, sweetie, but I agree with the others who say he's not the one. If I remember from the pics, you have a beautiful head of hair. It will grow back even fuller and healthier than before. You'll see!!

Leigh

Girl I wholeheartedly agree. It's time to ditch Marvin. His head has gotten to big for his neck. Maybe it's not getting a good supply of blood. At any rate, I'm glad your getting rid of him now. Besides, from all the pictures I've seen your hair is pretty healthy. You may not have needed that 2' trim.

Leigh

daviine

Thanks you ladies so much! You don't know how much your support means to me. I almost started feeling like maybe I just exude low self-esteem which causes people to react like that to me. I'm glad that you guys don't think I'm crazy and hypersensitive. I love you.
really I do.

Happy Hair Growing!!!!!!

mstankers

I sympathize with your situation. If he was going to give you a cut he should have ASKED you first not after and that dumb ass response he gave you to why he was using the rollers was not polite. I dont have any tolerance for hair stylists who get sarcastic when you ask questions. When I had a perm in my hair years ago I went to a HOT stylist who was an expert in cutting. I TOLD THIS HEIFER I DID NOT want layers in my hair and I wanted my hair style to be manageable. I brought in photos and everything. I made the BIGGEST MISTAKE of my life by closing my eyes for a few minutes and that heifer cut my hair so short I could not put a roller in it! Needless to say, I am still traumatized by the situation and this was almost a decade ago. I feel for you. Why is Marvin supposedly so hot anyway? I have only heard about him on this board and never anyplace else.
Also, not to sterotyoe but IF he is gay, gay men are as emotional and temperamental than the average woman and if you dont catch them on a good day then you are SCREWED!

Paris Belle

Okay...This is my second go round at a response to your post as Mommy accidentally closed me out of the browser the last time..

First, I am sad that you experienced this. It's one thing to wait for a few minutes longer than expected, but to be intentionally held up and then to be talked down to is quite another. And at that price!!

I've had experiences like this and vowed to never return to the same stylist or salon, no matter how great the stylist was. You are doing the right thing.

I can't wait to see you and Ennyaa on the 26th!!! I see one of the things we need to talk about is finding a good stylist in NYC. So many of us are having this problem!!!

I'm just mad that he treated you like you didn't have a clue and weren't concerned with your own hair. How little he really knows!!! I truly hope that he didn't take off a lot and that you are pleased with your hair.

Daughter

UK Blak
oh naaawwwww!

Such a man ain't getting my hard-earned money! Sounds like some salons need to find out what customer service is. For 100 moolahs he better be working on my hair alone and like it!

Stylists like that depend on people too scared or dependent (not saying that's you at all cos I've had hairdressers like that myself!!) to move to another one. Good luck on your future salon visits.

patticake

ok when you say he was just slappin' relaxer on the other clients head he sound just like my beautician! that can't be good!
i'm sorry about your experience to and i definitely know where you're coming from. and for $100! whoa!

G

I know exactly how he said it when he wasn't going to charge you for the "cut". He made it sound as if he did you a favor, huh? Humpf!

Good luck finding a new stylist. A majority of them are prima donnas.

azul11

omg i had a long post that i wrote and it got deleted.
anywho why is so hard to find a decent stylist in nyc. as big as this city is you would think it would be easy. God bless you all.

LuvableLady

I could never ever find a person to do my hair well on a consistent basis. If I found someone who was good and I went back for a second visit, it was never as good as the original visit. It's the only reason I went natural because I could not find someone I could trust and was tired of looking. I once had a hairdresser leave relaxer in my hair. When I woke up the next morning I had hard dry patches of relaxer in my hair, you better believe I went back the next day and got all my money back minus about $10.00 for a cut. I applied my own relaxers after that ordeal until I finally gave natural hair a try.