My Recommended Tips and Products for Double Processed Hair

Cincysweetie

Hello ladies! :wave: I think most of us can agree that double processing hair (i.e. relaxer and highlights) can be stressful and damaging on the hair...ESPECIALLY if the hair is not properly cared for. I've had double processed hair twice now (relaxer and highlights), once prior to starting my hair care journey and currently. I was definitley nervous about getting my hair highlighted the 2nd time around b/c the first time it really damaged my hair. However, I wanted them done again and felt like I was more capable of handling it this time.

I just wanted to share with you all some of my tips and products that have helped me to handle double processed hair. I'm not saying that if you follow these tips you'll have perfectly healthy hair...I have just found that they have helped me.

Tips:
Deep condition (mixed with a little EVOO) with each wash. I personally wash once a week and use TWO conditioners (see below).

Always keep hair covered at night. I have found that the most damage occurs when I'm rolling around at night without my hair covered.

Double up on moisturizing. If in the past you moisturized once a day, you may find that you need to moisturize twice a day. I try to always use a little something in the morning and also a little something at night before putting on my protective sleep covering.

Cut out the heat as much as possible

**These are tips that I swear by anyway...regardless of whether or not my hair is double processed. They just become more important when my hair is double processed.

Products:
When I first got my hair highlighted again back in April, it went through a serious dry spell despite my efforts and I became really depressed and regretted my highlights. I talked to my stylist about it and she recommended that I switch from the Design Essentials product line to the KMS Color Vitality line, the shampoo and the color revitalizer(conditioner). I noticed an IMMEDIATE difference in my hair. I stopped deep conditioning for a period of time while using the KMS brand, however I've now decided to deep condition with my Design Essentials and then follow up with the color revitalizer.

I also swear by Roux Fermodyl Leave-In Treatment #233 for Double Processed hair. My friend recommended this to me and it's done wonders in smoothing my hair, moisturzing it, and it helps in detangling. I love it! It comes in a 3-pack of clear plastic tubes at Sally's for about $7 and I usually open up all three tubes and dump them into a spray bottle for easy use.

I also still use a good moisturizer (I usually switch up between EQP Mango Butter and Vitapointe) and oils (EVOO and coconut oil).

Good luck to you all! HTH!

Leslie_C

I heard products targeted to colored hair are actually good for anybody with dry hair because they are extra moisturizing and gentle on the hair.

Cincysweetie

That's great info even if your hair isn't double processed. I always treat my hair as if its severly damaged.
Almond, that's a good way to look at it. There's very little that I do different now that my hair's double processed than I did before...I just make sure that I def. stick with it and am that much more cautious.

LeslieC, I hadn't heard that before, but interesting. I especially love the conditioner b/c I do feel that it's super moisturizing for an "instant" conditioner.

gymfreak336

YW, no problem. I hope it works for you, cause it was a lifesaver for me!! Oh, and let me also mention that a little of the shampoo goes a long way and I concentrate it primarily on my scalp.

I am looking at their website right now....they seem to have good stuff

gymfreak336

What else do they have over there as part of that line? I may have to go check out the site.

Well the color line has a shampoo conditioner, protect spray and a blond leave in treatment, shampoo and treatment.

The moisture line looks good too. The line that seems to target AA hair is the flatout line which has a shampoo, conditioner, straightening cream, serum and anti humidity spray. The moisture line has a overnight conditioning treatment. I really might check some of this out

SelfStyled

Hello ladies! :wave: I think most of us can agree that double processing hair (i.e. relaxer and highlights) can be stressful and damaging on the hair...ESPECIALLY if the hair is not properly cared for. I've had double processed hair twice now (relaxer and highlights), once prior to starting my hair care journey and currently. I was definitley nervous about getting my hair highlighted the 2nd time around b/c the first time it really damaged my hair. However, I wanted them done again and felt like I was more capable of handling it this time.

I just wanted to share with you all some of my tips and products that have helped me to handle double processed hair. I'm not saying that if you follow these tips you'll have perfectly healthy hair...I have just found that they have helped me.

Tips:
Deep condition (mixed with a little EVOO) with each wash. I personally wash once a week and use TWO conditioners (see below).

Always keep hair covered at night. I have found that the most damage occurs when I'm rolling around at night without my hair covered.

Double up on moisturizing. If in the past you moisturized once a day, you may find that you need to moisturize twice a day. I try to always use a little something in the morning and also a little something at night before putting on my protective sleep covering.

Cut out the heat as much as possible

**These are tips that I swear by anyway...regardless of whether or not my hair is double processed. They just become more important when my hair is double processed.

Products:
When I first got my hair highlighted again back in April, it went through a serious dry spell despite my efforts and I became really depressed and regretted my highlights. I talked to my stylist about it and she recommended that I switch from the Design Essentials product line to the KMS Color Vitality line, the shampoo and the color revitalizer(conditioner). I noticed an IMMEDIATE difference in my hair. I stopped deep conditioning for a period of time while using the KMS brand, however I've now decided to deep condition with my Design Essentials and then follow up with the color revitalizer.

I also swear by Roux Fermodyl Leave-In Treatment #233 for Double Processed hair. My friend recommended this to me and it's done wonders in smoothing my hair, moisturzing it, and it helps in detangling. I love it! It comes in a 3-pack of clear plastic tubes at Sally's for about $7 and I usually open up all three tubes and dump them into a spray bottle for easy use.

I also still use a good moisturizer (I usually switch up between EQP Mango Butter and Vitapointe) and oils (EVOO and coconut oil).

Good luck to you all! HTH!

What a good idea or those vials, I never use the whole one-

Cincysweetie

^^

Yeah that's the one thing I don't like about the product...not easy to use so I had to come up with my own method.

Gymfreak, I am thinking about purchasing the overnight mask or the other treatment from that same line. Let me know if you purchase something.

gymfreak336

^^

Yeah that's the one thing I don't like about the product...not easy to use so I had to come up with my own method.

Gymfreak, I am thinking about purchasing the overnight mask or the other treatment from that same line. Let me know if you purchase something.

Girl, you know I made a list up already....

I am getting the moisture shampoo and conditioner, overnight mask, leave in cream, flat out shampoo and conditioner, the color shampoo and conditioner, and the silk line conditioner, leave in cream and treatment.

Cincysweetie

Girl, you know I made a list up already....

I am getting the moisture shampoo and conditioner, overnight mask, leave in cream, flat out shampoo and conditioner, the color shampoo and conditioner, and the silk line conditioner, leave in cream and treatment.
Well goodness...you should be able to give me a full product line review, ha ha ha ha.

Cincysweetie

I will report back after Christmas. I have been looking for a comprehensive line and this might be it...they have a wide variety of products.
That's good. I may check one of the local hair salons in the mall and see if they carry any of the products...if so, I may purchase something.

gymfreak336

That's good. I may check one of the local hair salons in the mall and see if they carry any of the products...if so, I may purchase something.

I was looking online I think I found a site that sells the small sample packs and what not. I might buy one or two gifts sets to get a little of everything

Cincysweetie

I was looking online I think I found a site that sells the small sample packs and what not. I might buy one or two gifts sets to get a little of everything
Sounds like a good idea!!!! I don't really want to purchase online so if I find them in the store I may pick up one or two products.