NappyNaturals: What comes before the flat-iron? Airdry, Rollerset, or Blowdry?

brownsugarflyygirl

What is the best hair drying method for 4a/b naturals to achieve
the silkiest straight hair with a flatiron?

I am toying with the idea of straightening my hair next month for my birthday and my bootcamp starting picture. I only have one shot so I want my hair to be flyy!! ;)

Can you please give details of what you do? The more the better :)

Blowdry Ladies - Do you use a Denman brush, roundbush, comb attachment, diffuser while blowdrying? What products do you use?

Airdry Ladies- Do you use twists, plaits, ponytail, banding, etc.? How long? What products do you use?

Rollerset Ladies- What kind and size rollers? How long? What products do you use?

Everyone - After you are done drying, do you add additional products? If so, what kind?

Any additional flat-ironing tips welcome :D TIA

chocolate01

I blowdry using a comb attachment. I use my leave-in PM The Conditioner and Beyond straight. When flat ironing I spray on a heat protectant by Matrix, the name is escaping me right now.

kristina

I prefer to air dry in braids. I usually have a conditioner in my hair (biolage detangling solution) and a little castor oil. After my hair is bone dry I maxi glide in sections.

angellazette

I haven't straightened my hair but this is what I plan to do...

Apply coconut oil to wet hair. Stretch my hair with the dryer on cool and my denman or a comb attachment. Apply heat serum in small sections, flat iron.

lana

Hey what's up. I am a 4a natural that straightens. I usually deep condition every wash. Then I rinse with cool water to seal the cuticle. THEN I put my hair into two ponytails after applying my blow dry straightening lotion, blow dry the bottom one first on medium heat and then the top with a comb attachment. I then wait awhile to make sure it's really dry and flat iron with my maxiglide.

I get bone straight results and lots of body. I hope this helps.

Lana

londonjakki

lana said:
Hey what's up. I am a 4a natural that straightens. I usually deep condition every wash. Then I rinse with cool water to seal the cuticle. THEN I put my hair into two ponytails after applying my blow dry straightening lotion, blow dry the bottom one first on medium heat and then the top with a comb attachment. I then wait awhile to make sure it's really dry and flat iron with my maxiglide.

I get bone straight results and lots of body. I hope this helps.

Lana

Lana I was wondering :) ...what brand of blow dry straightening lotion do you use? Whenever I flat iron my hair myself it does not have any body.....:confused:

keluric

I straightened my hair earlier in the month (pics in my fotki). If I had used more heat, I know it wouldn't have reverted on me but I wasn't going for really straight hair. I detangled with a Denman and airdried in twists. However, I did blast my roots with a warm dryer.

Qetesh

traditionally i would use the attachment on the blowdryer or just comb and blowdry it, this is when i had it hott combed pressed.

when i go to a domincan salon they rollerset it first then blowdry it or sometimes they will jus blowdry it bone striahgt while wet :eek:

since i got my sedu i have only used it once and i may have done it incorrectly but my hair was still wet when i flat ironed it :eek: , it doesnt seem to be breaking off exsessivly so i donno??

jtsupanova

Wow my birthday is next month and I plan to do the same thing pics challenge and all

To flat iron my hair straight as possible with very little heat I set my hair on jumbo rollers (right after I wash while it in its nappy coily curly state, it seems difficult but you just have to make small sections and keep the hair taught)
I let my hair air dry with the rollers in (you can use a hood dryer for a firmer set but I try to use as little heat as possible)

When I take the rollers out my hair appears to be straight in rolled sections (kinda of like it would look if i were relaxed) If I wear to comb out the curls I would have a semi straight floopy fro

I have flatironed two ways after the roller set
1.In sections from the semi straight floopy fro
2. Straight from the roller set sections
I prefer to roller straight from roller set because it kinda cuts out all of the guess work

brownsugarflyygirl

Thanks ladies :grin:

Now I just have to figure out WHEN I am going to do it....I think I am going to blowdry it first in sections using my denman then flatiron...Your tips really help.

nurseN98

Ayiti cherie
I airdry in about 8 big braids I detangle thoroughly and put some type of serum mixed with shea butter on and let it dry over night. The next day it's ready for my maxiglide. I figure the less heat I can use the better, that's why I don't blowdry.

I haven't flat ironed in a while...I feel the urge coming on..:scratchch

lana

londonjakki said:
Lana I was wondering :) ...what brand of blow dry straightening lotion do you use? Whenever I flat iron my hair myself it does not have any body.....:confused:

Hey just to answer the question...sorry I'm so late...I own three different kinds. Loreal Studio Hot Straight Cream in the pink bottle (this does the best so I use it regularly), Aveda Blow Straight Marshmellow Root lotion (this does pretty good but I add oil because it leaves my hair dry otherwise) and Paul Mitchell Silky Straight Serum.

I put one of these creams on wet hair and then blow dry. I usually use the Paul Mitchell Serum for flatironing only but sometimes I mix a little with my Loreal Cream before blowdrying.

I hope this helps.

missnappylady

How long can can you keep hair your sraight and what do you do to make it last that long? (Mine hardly ever last one day) sorry to hijack the thread

loonatick

missnappylady said:
How long can can you keep hair your sraight and what do you do to make it last that long? (Mine hardly ever last one day) sorry to hijack the thread

same over here

I also blow dry with my denman, some times i quit there and just where a bun, or i go on to flat iron. It stays striaght for that day or a few hours, but i can see it reverting slowly. I do use heat protectants, none work at keeping it straight. I might have to try a pressing comb with grease :look:

lana

You guys I use my heat protectant to protect against heat. BUT I use a straightening serum or cream to help my hair avoid reverting to it's naturally curly state. I wrap it at night with a silk scarf to hold the style. It usually lasts all week.

I'm not saying I have this perfect routine. It just works for me most of the time.

Today though I need to wash again and use Shampoo this time not just conditioner. My hair is barely holding up. I think it's all about trial and error.

CaramelMiSS

I used to blow dry my hair then hot comb to get the roots straight then flat iron but now I think I will just do a rollerset and then flat iron I just brought my maxiglide today and I can't wait to use it!!!

missnappylady

lana said:
You guys I use my heat protectant to protect against heat. BUT I use a straightening serum or cream to help my hair avoid reverting to it's naturally curly state. I wrap it at night with a silk scarf to hold the style. It usually lasts all week.

I'm not saying I have this perfect routine. It just works for me most of the time.

Today though I need to wash again and use Shampoo this time not just conditioner. My hair is barely holding up. I think it's all about trial and error.
Thanks Lana!! I'll have to try it again. Last time I used IC straightening serum (pink); is that only a heat protectant or should I be using a pressing oil too?