Natural 4a/b's: Have you ever used Aphogee 2 step? I need help with application!

ladylo

I am thinking my breakage prone hair might need a protein boost. I have tried using milder proteins in the past (Ion, Smooth as Silk and 50/50) but these have not made any difference and I am ready to bring out the big guns.:210: I picked up one of those small packages of Aphogee 2 step at Sally's but now I'm scared to use it because I've heard it's very sticky and difficult to apply. The instructions seem to be geared towards hair that is straight/ relaxed and easy to comb through. I'm worried that if I follow the directions I will experience excessive breakage from combing it through my kinky tangle-prone hair.

Some more info: I do not have a hood dryer, just a soft bonnet and blow dryer. I wash my hair in 8 plaits to keep it from tangling and i'm afraid to put it loose under my soft bonnet with a product that will make it curl up and get hard. Seems like I'd be asking for trouble.... BUT I know that if I apply the product in plaits it will probably NOT dry for hours upon hours even with the hooded dryer.:perplexed I already gave up on rollersets because they were taking 5+ hours to dry.

Naturals who like protein please help by letting me know your application method for this product and your results. I'm especially interested to know whether you did loose hair or plaits/twists, if you used heat and what kind, and whether your hair was soaking wet or damp when you applied. did this product totally dry and harden in your hair??? What were the results?

Also please let me know about any other awesome intensive protein products you've used as an alternative to this one.

I'm sorry if this question has been asked before. I'm a newbie and the search function was not helping me out much.

Thanks in advance,
Ladylo

I'm transitioning and did my first treatment last month.

I did it on loose hair and used mmy blow dryer to harden it. The only thing I noticed was that I had to be careful about my ends, some of them got stuck to my shoulders (no shirt.

But I dont remember any problem with it drawing up and tangling, once it hardened, it pretty much stayed in that position

I've done it before. I used a spray bottle and DID NOT COMB IT THROUGH! For the love of God don't comb it through.

I sprayed it on loose hair after I had ALREADY detangled it and then bunned it up to sit under the dryer.

My fav is Dudley DRC-28 <3 Best stuff ever, but it's 55 bucks. But so worth it.

My hair doesn't require heavy protein treatments, but my 11 year old's hair does. Hers is mostly 4b, fine strands, and is more dense than anything I've ever seen- online or IRL. She's my hair idol actually lol....

Anyway, I give her the Aphogee 2 step (A2S) monthly, immediately after washing her hair. I t-shirt dry her hair, then put the A2S in a bowl and section her hair off, applying the A2S to each section with my hands, root to tip. Because she has so much hair, it always looks like I'll run out, but there's always just enough to do her entire head.

Our hard bonnet dryer just broke, so I use the soft bonnet cap (I forget the name) that I attach to my handheld blowdryer. It works great. Her hair hardens after about 20 minutes (rock hard), then I rinse. Of course, I always follow-up with a super moisturizing DC, usually HEHH mixed with oils, which I apply with heat for 30-45 minutes.

Unlike other treatments that sometimes take days or weeks to show a marked difference, I IMMEDIATELY notice a difference with the A2S. Her hair breaks VERY easily, with little manipulation, and this treatment immediately strengthens her strands. It's the only protein treatment I'll ever use on her hair- works like a miracle.

HTH.

Last edited:
Thanks ladies! I will try distributing the product with my fingers on loose, sectioned hair. I am just about to wash so I will post later tonight with my results.

If any one else has other methods please continue to add to this thread!

Thanks again ladies! This treatment was just what my hair needed. I will definitely be doing it as needed.

In the end I was too scared to leave the hair totally loose so after each application I quickly did a fat Rudy Huxtable twist and secured it at the end. When I was done I had 8 twists and tucked them up under the bonnet. I was not at all prepared for how FAST this stuff dries and I was scared I was going to crack all my hair off with how hard it was. Once I stepped under the shower though it was fine. I used their balancing conditioner afterwards (just in case it works specifically with that product) then rinsed that out and DC'ed to make sure I got my moisture in. The resutl was immediate, instead of feeling limp and soft my hair felt bouncy and wiry. There was also less breakage when I twisted afterwards. We'll see how this does throughout the week. Hopfully I'll stop getting little hairs in my hand when I moisturize my twists.

For anyone else who wants to try this. Make sure you are FAST when you apply it, it's easy to get into your hair but it gets sticky pretty quickly afterwards. The less you can manipulate your hair while the product is being applied the better.

Back