Natural and Relaxed ladies: How long do you spend styling your hair?

Estimate how long you spending styling your hair each week?(major wash day and daily)

• Relaxed- 2 hours or less

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • Natural- 2 hours or less

Votes: 12 25.5%
  • Relaxed- 3 to 4 hours

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • Natural- 3 to 4 hours

Votes: 10 21.3%
  • Relaxed- 5 to 6 hours

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Natural- 5 to 6 hours

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • Relaxed- 6 to 8 hours

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Natural- 6 to 8 hours

• Relaxed- I spend so long styling my hair I can't total up the hours

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Natural- I spend so long styling my hair I can't total up the hours

• Total voters

Ms Lala

Hey ladies!!!!

I was talking to a friend who is relaxed and I always thought that one benefit of having relaxed hair was styling time. Her hair is about the same length as mine and it takes her 3 hours to blowdry and flat iron her hair, that seemed like a long time. Not to mention daily combing etc... Now I"m just curious how long it take ladies to style their hair weekly. Please vote for the amount of time you estimate that you spend on hair styling each week (including if you are natural or relaxed). If you don't mind please explain your response in your post.

I keep toying w/the idea of texturizing (my hair hates chemicals though) but now I wonder how much it will really cut down my styling time.

Last edited:

Ms Lala

I guess I"ll start,

I spend about 6-8 hours every 3 weeks washing, dcing, and styling my hair. In between then I spend very little time cowashing or touching up but no daily styling. So I estimate that it comes to about 3 hours a week.

loveable37

It takes me a long time i can't fingure out the hours especially when left the conditioner in while standin in the bank line to deposiit. (all day)

C

chica_canella

I guess I"ll start,

I spend about 6-8 hours every 3 weeks washing, dcing, and styling my hair. In between then I spend very little time cowashing or touching up but no daily styling. So I estimate that it comes to about 3 hours a week.

Well, I am putting braids back in my hair soon. And I would wash my hair weekly, co-wash. I would wait for my hair to dry the next day and then apply moisturizer and MTG.

When I had my hair out. I would co-wash about twice maybe three times a week standing facing the shower head so the water would flow over my head. Then I would detangle using the water, get out of the shower and put a towel around my head until my hair was just damp. then i let it air dry. after that i applied moisturizer and sealant but remember i wasn't putting heat in my hair and just wearing it in a bun or clip.

It would take about 2 hr.s for my hair to dry, I think but I was doing other things. But yeah, it doesn't take as long with relaxed hair I think.:yep:

NewYorkgyrl

I spend about 5- 6 hours every 2 weeks on my hair. I am natural.

The 6 hours includes:
1 hour pre-poo treatment
Shampoo (in sections)
Deep Condition (30 min)
Detangling in sections (30 min)

I add a leave-in and moisturizer and let my hair airdry for 4 hours. I take this time to do house chores or study. (I am not counting these four hours in the total time to do my hair)

Then my friend does my hair in two-strand twists with braids in the front. It takes her about 3 hours.

I keep this style in for 2-3 weeks then wear the back in a twist out. So it is not too hair time considering that I don't have to touch my hair for 2 weeks.

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
I'm texturized, but voted natural, 2 hours or less. My hair is not anywhere near straight/texlaxed. Hope ths doesn't skew the results...

Isis

I wash and deep condition my hair every 3 to 4 days, then airdry in a rollerset overnight. This takes several hours for drying time but I'm asleep. :sleep:

In between wash days, it only takes about 5 minutes or so to style my hair (no combing), which could be removing rollers or letting out my pincurls, or unbraiding hair for a braidout. It could also be putting my hair in a ponytail, bun or French Twist and these styles take 2 to 5 minutes to do. :)

Neroli

I wash once a week ('poo, henna, co-wash, DC, protein treat, whatever I'm doing that week), then apply leave ins and let hang loose to air dry. This may take anywhere from 3 - 6 hours total, depending on how long I DC or leave the henna on with majority of time spent air drying. Sooooo, it varies from week to week . . .

In between washes, it takes 3 - 5 minutes every day to smooth a bit of oil and water into hair and finger comb into my staple "styles":

1. let hang loose on back (with ends well oiled)
2. put into bun
3. put into large braid(s)

divya

I'm transitioning so I didn't vote. But probably 2 hours a week, no more than 3.

ekomba

It used to take me 30mns and less, the longer it gets one hour to 2 hrs. it mostly doubled in volume and when straightened i m forced to curl it else it brushes shoulders and clothes and the ends break so i basically make sure i use a small iron for the back to keep it off the shoulders. That s my secret weapon lol the small iron but hum as it get past apl i will have to find something else maybe only buns! or silk sweaters lolllll:lachen::grin::yep:

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I voted Natural- 2 hours or less (for major wash day).

On a daily basis, depending on the style I'm wearin, it doesn't take very long at all...less than 5 minutes.

Dearlove

I wash once a week. I prepoo for at least 30 min, then I wash and condition. Sometimes I dc under the dryer for 20 min, if I have time. It takes me about two hours to do my two strand twists.

Ms Lala

It used to take me 30mns and less, the longer it gets one hour to 2 hrs. it mostly doubled in volume and when straightened i m forced to curl it else it brushes shoulders and clothes and the ends break so i basically make sure i use a small iron for the back to keep it off the shoulders. That s my secret weapon lol the small iron but hum as it get past apl i will have to find something else maybe only buns! or silk sweaters lolllll:lachen::grin::yep:

Ok you have really thick hair, I thought it would take you longer. What is your secret to your short routine because I"m tired of 6 hour hair styling sessions.

Ms Lala

I voted Natural- 2 hours or less (for major wash day).

On a daily basis, depending on the style I'm wearin, it doesn't take very long at all...less than 5 minutes.

Is this since you started locing or has it always taken you 2 hours or less. I need your tips if this is w/your loose hair.

thanks for all of the responses ladies, please keep them coming. i am really curious about this.

meaganita

I'm natural and spend 2 to 4 hours a week on my hair depending on what I'm doing. This is only due to weekly major wash days.

Pre-poo/detangle: 5 to 20 min

Shampoo & Condition: 15 to 20 min (I let the conditioner marinate for at least 10 min)

Deep Condition w/heat: 30 min to 1.5 hrs (Depends on whether I use both protein & moisturizing dc or just one - rinse and application time included)

Blowdry: 30 min to 1hr (includes post-wash detangling and braiding time for each section as it's dried)

Flat iron: 2 hours

Ms Lala

I'm natural and spend 2 to 4 hours a week on my hair depending on what I'm doing. This is only due to weekly major wash days.

Pre-poo/detangle: 5 to 20 min

Shampoo & Condition: 15 to 20 min (I let the conditioner marinate for at least 10 min)

Deep Condition w/heat: 30 min to 1.5 hrs (Depends on whether I use both protein & moisturizing dc or just one - rinse and application time included)

Blowdry: 30 min to 1hr (includes post-wash detangling and braiding time for each section as it's dried)

Flat iron: 2 hours

I think I'm going to try flat ironing again. I've been trying to avoid heat.

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
Major wash days I take about 3-4 hours. Every day styling is like 20 mins or less though.

dillard

I voted Relaxed 3-4 hrs. For the breakdown:

Sun - morning & night routine 15min
Mon - morning & night routine 15min
Tues - morning & night routine 15min
Wed - poo/dc/rollerset 1.5 hr
Thurs - morning & night routine 15min
Fri - morning & night routine 15min
Sat - cowash/rollerset 1hr

Like Isis, I always go to sleep in my rollers and airdry overnight so I didn't count drying time!

ryanshope

I don't really know...I am not a big advocate for protective styles, but i am force into them now because I don't have time to rollerset my hair every two/three days...I voted 8 hours because it is normally about an 20-30 minutes a day plus 3 hours on the weekend for wash day--.
Since I am working twice a day, I wrap my hair into a bun, stick a chopstick in the middle or use the magic bun--wear my scarf and smooth it in the AM.

EMJazzy

Happily retired
I voted wrong...I put 2 hours or less (natural) I don't know how I missed the "weekly" :blush:....shoot it takes me up to 2 hours *daily* .....so weekly it's a LOT of hours :perplexed :blush: it's not like I have a lot of hair so I'm not sure why it takes so long....maybe if I write it out then I can *see* what's taking so long. :confused:

I slather a moisturizing conditioner on my hair and put on a plastic cap on for an hour.
After an hour I massage my hair and scalp for a few mins
Rinse out the conditioner
Shake out excess water
Apply leave in
Finger style

Upon looking at my daily routine it just may be the fingerstyling that's taking up the majority of that second hour. :spinning:

NYLegalNewbie

It all depends on what I'm doing for that day.

Regular no co-wash day - 5 to 10 minutes (just use a home made spritz when I get home from the gym and then put it up in a bun, twist, etc)

Regular co-wash day - 15 to 20 minutes (co-wash, followed by a scalp massage with homemade mixture of oils [jojoba, peppermint, and rosemary], then put it up in a bun)

Shampoo day (no protein treatment, no roller set) - 45 minutes to 1 hour (probably air dry with bun)

Shampoo day with protein treatment and roller set - 2 to 3 and a half hours

So, ON AVERAGE, I probably spend about a half hour to an hour on hair I guess. I guess that's not too excessive :grin:

Ms Lala

It all depends on what I'm doing for that day.

Regular no co-wash day - 5 to 10 minutes (just use a home made spritz when I get home from the gym and then put it up in a bun, twist, etc)

Regular co-wash day - 15 to 20 minutes (co-wash, followed by a scalp massage with homemade mixture of oils [jojoba, peppermint, and rosemary], then put it up in a bun)

Shampoo day (no protein treatment, no roller set) - 45 minutes to 1 hour (probably air dry with bun)

Shampoo day with protein treatment and roller set - 2 to 3 and a half hours

So, ON AVERAGE, I probably spend about a half hour to an hour on hair I guess. I guess that's not too excessive :grin:

your regimen doesn't sound time consuming at all.

natstar

I am keeping my hair in two strand twists for a while so on the day that I twist it may take up to 3 hrs. (washing, conditioning and twisting) but that last me almost two weeks.

KhandiB

to Do "Do" my hair i.e - Rollerset or BD/FI or AD/FI

can take anywhere from 30 minutes to 4 hours ...

Country gal

To the OP- it really depends on the style. When I straighten my hair, it takes a while. I would say2-3 hours for blowdrying, flat ironing. I recently hot combed my hair and applied a curling iron. I used the one for the hot stoves. My ends came out great. Before it would rub my shoulders and then look a hot mess.

JustKiya

*LOL*

I'm not really in my head all that much, unless I am putting in two strand twists......

Lets see.... everyweek I detangle (10 minutes), DC (10 minutes to put it in, leave it on overnight), Fatbraid (30 minutes), put in weekly style (20 minutes to 6 hours, depending on the style)....

Oh yeah, and then I spritz and freshen it up in the morning (5 minutes) and spritz and tie it up at night (5 minute) - so, ten minutes a day for five days.... that's almost another hour.

So - on a fast week, a little over two hours a week. On a involved week, 8ish hours.

Even on my henna weekends, that only adds an additional hour..... so the MAX I would spend on my hair in a week is 9 hours.

Now, if I ever put in my yarn twists, I'll be able to see how long that takes.....