Natural but dyed... is there such a thing?

maddie611

Hello Ladies, (and guys if there are any),
I am fully natural, whoop whoop :grin: , for about a year and and change now. I love my natural hair, very fine 4b, but the color...eeeh not so much. I have been considering to change it to a honey blondish color but I dont want to damage my hair in the process. I have heard of henna but I am not sure it works for blonde. Right now my hair is a dry 2 and I want it to be more golden 27ish. I believe color would add that extra zazz and I would appreciate it more :spinning: . I have seen some "naturals" with light color like this. Does anyone know if their hair still thrives? Also can you still claim natural if your hair color is altered chemically? :rolleyes::angel: Naturals and Relaxers are free to comment .

Last edited:

MrsJaiDiva

Embracing the Light
People take this "Natural" tag too seriously man. Henna won't take you to blond...it's more for red's, brown's, and black' when paired with indigo. Going blond can be harsh on the hair, but if done right your hair shouldn't suffer. I know some ladies on here have some awesome color, and their hair looks gorge. :yep:

Kindheart

Of course you will be still natural ,your texture will be still the same , don't listen to the extremists ,they take it too far, the fact you feel like dying your hair but feel uncomfortable doing so for the sake of being 100 % natural is another form of slavery ,feel free to feel attractive and stylish. our hair has dust,exhaustion gas residues and germs on it anyway.

Leesh

In the "Natural Hair" world, I believe as long as it's the natural texture that grows from your scalp, it is indeed considered "Natural" hair...

jprayze

I wanted to suggest to you honey as a natural lightening agent plus you get the moisture benefits. It's all I use for my hair to lighten...overnight prepoos with honey and condish weekly or biweekly. It's a gradual process of lightening but it works to me. I'm a natural #2. Here's a recent pic of my hair color in the sunlight.

image-2439064375.jpg

danysedai

I'm relaxed (so don't listen to me, lol) but your hair is natural even if you dye it, no need for quotations marks, you ARE natural.

maddie611

I wanted to suggest to you honey as a natural lightening agent plus you get the moisture benefits. It's all I use for my hair to lighten...overnight prepoos with honey and condish weekly or biweekly. It's a gradual process of lightening but it works to me. I'm a natural #2. Here's a recent pic of my hair color in the sunlight.

View attachment 163169

how long did it take for you yo get to that shade?

Sugar

Its funny that this thread came up. I was at the Bronner Bros. Show last weekend and I sat in on lots of workshops and spoke with tons of vendors. I heard more than one person (stylists and vendors) say that hair isn't really natural if its dyed. I'm still trying to decide how to address this topic on my website.

MrsJaiDiva

Embracing the Light
Its funny that this thread came up. I was at the Bronner Bros. Show last weekend and I sat in on lots of workshops and spoke with tons of vendors. I heard more than one person (stylists and vendors) say that hair isn't really natural if its dyed. I'm still trying to decide how to address this topic on my website.

The Natural Nazi's need to hush it up! Gosh...some people want to have fun with their hair! I suppose you can say you're not a "natural brunette", but who cares?!

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
I consider myself a color treated natural {I dye darker and bleach lighter}. I acknowledge that my hair isn't virgin, but it's still natural. If someone wants to call it something else, that's their business, but since I'm the only person who cares for my hair, I get the final say on what it is.

maddie611, my relaxed friend goes lighter {but not as light as a 27} at home with Dark and Lovely Honey Blond mixed with L'Oreal lightener.

choctaw

Sugar,

I use henna and indigo and my hair been natural for over 50 years ... I don't think box dye or honey/lemon juice etc, changes hair texture ... might make it dry ... but I don't see why dyed hair is not natural ... except the color ...

eta: looking forward to this topic on your website

Last edited:

MsDes

I think natural is based on texture, not color. Some people take the term natural when it comes to our hair way too seriously!! I am a color treated natural and won't let nobody tell me I'm not natural!! lol. My texture is still the same.

manter26

If you lift your hair color to pretty much any shade of blonde (bleach or otherwise, even at Aveda) your curl will loosen. Color can damage the curl pattern.

Sugar

@Sugar,

I use henna and indigo and my hair been natural for over 50 years ... I don't think box dye or honey/lemon juice etc, changes hair texture ... might make it dry ... but I don't see why dyed hair is not natural ... except the color ...

eta: looking forward to this topic on your website

From what I gathered there were two basic ideas on this topic:

1) If its not the color that grows naturally out of your scalp..then you're not natural (unless your hair color gets changed by sun-exposure).

2) Commercial dyes (and even henna) have the ability to straighten the hair or at least change the curl pattern. I've used hair dye to change the texture of weave hair before and I've heard people say henna changed their curl pattern. In the case of commercial hair dye I assume the texture change is some kind of damage.

I'm not sure how to address this in an article on my site. I kinda want to just start saying chemical-free instead of natural.

Sugar

If you lift your hair color to pretty much any shade of blonde (bleach or otherwise, even at Aveda) your curl will loosen. Color can damage the curl pattern.

:yep: I think that's what the stylists and vendors were alluding to.

SummerSolstice

Hello Ladies, (and guys if there are any),
I am fully natural, whoop whoop :grin: , for about a year and and change now. I love my natural hair, very fine 4b, but the color...eeeh not so much. I have been considering to change it to a honey blondish color but I dont want to damage my hair in the process. I have heard of henna but I am not sure it works for blonde. Right now my hair is a dry 2 and I want it to be more golden 27ish. I believe color would add that extra zazz and I would appreciate it more :spinning: . I have seen some "naturals" with light color like this. Does anyone know if their hair still thrives? Also can you still claim natural if your hair color is altered chemically? :rolleyes::angel: Naturals and Relaxers are free to comment .

i am blonde. i have natural hair.

if your hair is dry you should find out how to keep it moisturized at all times before you consider using any color.

jprayze

maddie611 said:
how long did it take for you yo get to that shade?

I would say 2 months of doing it at least bi weekly. Very gradual every time. Now it's more for maintenance.

SummerSolstice

lastly, i couldn't care less of how someone else labels my hair. people who would say that i'm not natural are probably the same people who were telling me to get a relaxer in highschool... aka losers.

Xavier

View attachment 163169

jprayze Can you eloborate on this honey lightening process some more please?

How long did it take for you to see results with the honey? How did you hear about this?

manter26

jprayze Can you eloborate on this honey lightening process some more please?

How long did it take for you to see results with the honey? How did you hear about this?

andreaschoice on youtube has videos about it. I don't like her resulting color. It's not very even IMO, but she has tutorials, recipes, and you can see a noticeable difference in her color.

maddie611

i am blonde. i have natural hair.

if your hair is dry you should find out how to keep it moisturized at all times before you consider using any color.

When I say dry, i'm referring to the color. Its just not a vibrant color and I think I can do better :lol:. Can I see a pic of your blonde please? Did you apply rhe Aveda yourself or did you go to a salon?

Last edited:

jprayze

@jprayze Can you eloborate on this honey lightening process some more please?

This site basicially describes my process: http://voices.yahoo.com/4-all-natural-ways-lighten-hair-11164838.html?cat=69

I heard about here and there on this site and decided to try it out. I also read about it on nappturality.com but they use some other ingredients as well like lemon and cinnamon.

I will post some pics in a few.

jprayze

I will say I could do a better Job of making sure the honey is all over my hair section by section because I just kinda slather it on. but I think it looks super natural.

Here's a couple of pics from this summer. I actually started using about Mid June. Looks different depending on the light but it works great and I think being in the sun really helps.

image-747299922.jpg

image-493062716.jpg

Roller set after 8 hrs of honey at the beginning of July. These results were like wow!

image-66036501.jpg

LongLeggedLife

manter26 said:

Ive bleached my hair to blonde many times, the most recent being about a month ago, & never experienced a change in curl pattern.
Oh & yes, I still consider myself natural, OP!

Aviah

I have dyed my hair too, however my natural texture is still there. Same as what another poster said, this natural tag thing goes too deep.