Natural hair - passing trend or here to stay?

I think "going natural" is . . .

• . . . a passing trend

Votes: 56 25.6%
  • . . . here to stay!

Votes: 163 74.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

caribeandiva

Human being
I think the whole natural hair "movement" is a fad. Don't get me wrong because I'm natural for life now. A lot of the people who are going natural are doing it for the wrong reason (for example to have a certain curl pattern, to see/prove that they have "good" hair, it's easy to care for, etc...). I believe a lot of those naturals will go back to relaxing, texlaxing or texturing their hair.

Ogoma

For me, in this moment, in this lifetime the natural me is here to stay. I cannot speak for others...I wasn't even aware this was a "trend" or "fad". For me it just IS. After rocking a relaxer for almost 30 yrs it suddenly dawned on me that Ididn't have to HAVE one...didn't NEED one. 5 yrs into my nappturality I am very comfortable with mySELF, myHAIR & it's ability to change and adapt without chemicals.

I have a similar story. I never planned to go natural or transition or any of that. I was struggling with always moving to a new city/country and trying to find a new stylist and 99% of them falling short. I had scheduled a relaxer appointment and was whinging about the stylist and not wanting to go and my SO made a simple, offhanded, 'how do I pretend to be interested, but get her to shut up' :lol: comment: "you act like you have to relax your hair," and it clicked. I don't need to relax my hair. I don't need to try out new stylists and salons. I can let my hair be.

JazzyOleBabe

I have been natural since 1996. It's a mind set and takes more than a notion to turn away from the chemicals even having using them for so long. My personal removal from the chemicals guaranteed me no more chemical burns, sore scalps, bald spots, thinning spots and chopped up looking hair. I think that the worse thing for me was the Beauticians saw all of these things happening to my hair and not one breathe a word to me about it while they were doing my hair. So sad.

ecadnacmc

southerncitygirl said:
its a trend....not for me but i think it is for most. i stopped relaxing before this hair board and the yt explosion of natural ladies. most natural ladies i know are not even trying to use natural products or be health conscious and are quite overweight or obese. many women are going natural cause even though they are 4b they think their hair texture will spontaneously turn type 2-3c. i want to think more positively about this natural movement but my assessments are based on what i see and hear on a day to day basis and it saddens me.

I'm confused. Why do you have to be health conscious to have natural hair but not so if you have a relaxer. Also why is there always this hair hierarchy like 2-3c hair is the pinnacle of hair worthiness???? That type of thinking saddens me.
Btw I've been natural for years, I think all healthy hair is beautiful regardless of type and I think there are way more overweight women with relaxers etc than the small minority of overweight naturals. I'm just saying...

ilong

God's Own
I thought of this thread the other night while watching a commercial on TV. A sister was in the commercial wearing an awesome APL wash n' go!!

lovegymnasts

I'm confused. Why do you have to be health conscious to have natural hair but not so if you have a relaxer. Also why is there always this hair hierarchy like 2-3c hair is the pinnacle of hair worthiness???? That type of thinking saddens me.
Btw I've been natural for years, I think all healthy hair is beautiful regardless of type and I think there are way more overweight women with relaxers etc than the small minority of overweight naturals. I'm just saying...

Let's be real now.
In the black community, 2-3c hair is the pinnacle of hair worthiness ergo
-the term good hair
- the negativity many (the majority?) of women encounter from family, friends, and/or spouses when going natural
- the term transitioning your mind not just your hair
- the reason many if not most healthy long haired women are told they must have that good hair or Indian in their family
:look:

Anyhoo, I don't get this connection between wearing your hair the way it grows out of your head and being health conscious and/or using natural products. One has nothing to do with the other.

caribeandiva

Human being
C'mon! When white girls are "going natural" you know it's a fad. My Allure magazine had an article a few months back geared to white women telling them to embrace their natural curls or waves. The title of this article? Go Natural!

LadyRaider

I think women might begin to turn to heat more.
They might turn to texturizers (whatever that is. I think something like that would just straighten my hair like a relaxer)

But I think natural hair will be here forever. It's hard to go back to spending that money and "dependency."

Now I feel the same way about my pedicures. I wish I could do them myself!!!!

lovegymnasts

C'mon! When white girls are "going natural" you know it's a fad. My Allure magazine had an article a few months back geared to white women telling them to embrace their natural curls or waves. The title of this article? Go Natural!

Here's another:
http://hair.allwomenstalk.com/tips-to-minimise-breakage/5/

7 Helpful Tips to Minimise Hair Breakage …

By Rebecca 28 days ago

5. Go Natural

If you work on your locks every day using a blow dryer and a ceramic straightening iron, you might want to take a break from this kind of intensive styling. Together with a nourishing shampoo and a conditioner, and a vitamin supplement, resting your locks and allowing them to fall naturally will help to minimise further hair breakage.

Leslie_C

I think it is here to stay, but Im a sunshine and rainbows kind of person lol. Back in 2006 or so after a bad relaxer where my hair was coming out by the handful everytime it was handled...I had a hair school refuse to relax it bc it was so bad. So I went home with hurt feelings and picked up a ponytail hairpiece. I barely had enough hair to get into a ponytail to attach a hairpiece (it took lots of bobby pins). As it grew a little, I cut out the relaxed hair damage and I was afraid of chemicals at that point, so I didnt relax it for a whole year with no intention of going natural, I just wanted to let it rest and grow. After that year was up, I had no idea what to do with my hair...the vision I had of natural hair was wearing an afro only unless one had type 2 or 3 hair. Nothing against afros, I just didnt want to wear one. I had no idea of all the possibilities. So I texlaxed and stuck with that for a few years. My hair thrived, but THIS time when my hair broke off (like it always does eventually it seems), I somehow stumbled on natural haired youtubers videos and it was love at first sight. Where have these ladies been all my life? LOL. Then I came back to LHCF and found that the board is full of naturals now, and started taking notes. I in no way expect to have type 3 curls...seeing type 4 haired ladies rocking it natural in such versatile styles motivated me so much that I can too. If I knew then what I know now I would have never texlaxed back in 07. Imagine how long my hair would be by now! I dont remember my hair being super hard to manage without the relaxer and I wasnt even giving it any special care other than weekly deep conditioning....so Im extra encouraged that Ill be able to manage it this time around since it is intentional.

Anyway long story short, there is soooooo much more information and there are so many more resources out there now along with so many products catered to natural hair that it is very encouraging to leave the relaxers alone. I no longer have to hold my breath after every touch up that this will be the one to make my hair start breaking off again. Setbacks are much less likely taking chemicals out of the equation. I wont say Ill never relax/texlax again...but it isnt likely. I would heat train before I would relax.

Linxnme

I think there is more information at our fingertips now than there has ever been. People now have info about natural hair, which equips them with the how to's, so to speak. So caring for hair is now a huge topic and it seems like a rush of folks are now divorcing their relaxers. There are some that are going natural because they like the look, there are others that switch up because they want to be chemical free and the list goes on. It may work for some, for others it may be too much work. I don't view those that make the choice to resume putting a relaxer in their hair as being natural because it was the thing to do at the time.

Was the relaxer a trend or did people decide to relax for a laundry list of reasons? Yes there are always going to be a small fraction of folks that are doing something because the masses are doing it but there are also people that know better so they do better and for them natural is better than choosing chemicals. In the past we did not have the Internet to give us info on complete hair care, now you can become your own beautician with info found right on the Www.

Last edited:

afroette

Trend. I remember in 1999 when I was almost the only natural chick walking around where I lived. So glad I went back to relaxing!

ecadnacmc

lovegymnasts said:
Let's be real now.
In the black community, 2-3c hair is the pinnacle of hair worthiness ergo
-the term good hair
- the negativity many (the majority?) of women encounter from family, friends, and/or spouses when going natural
- the term transitioning your mind not just your hair
- the reason many if not most healthy long haired women are told they must have that good hair or Indian in their family
:look:

Anyhoo, I don't get this connection between wearing your hair the way it grows out of your head and being health conscious and/or using natural products. One has nothing to do with the other.

I guess I must just have highly enlightened friends and family who have a high sense of self worth because I was always taught good hair is the hair coming out of your head as long as its healthy. I have been told on numerous occasions I have "good hair" and my hair is 4a maybe 3c mix but nowhere near 2 or 3a. I think we black women put more emphasis on this ridiculous hair hierarchy because most people in general really don't care that much about our hair at all. In fact most white people think all of our hair is the same. Just saying.....

lovegymnasts

I think we black women put more emphasis on this ridiculous hair hierarchy because most people in general really don't care that much about our hair at all. In fact most white people think all of our hair is the same. Just saying.....

Nobody is talking about what white people think or do not think.
BTW: most white people think black women have straight hair. Also, I can not think of one non-black person I know who was not fascinated by my natural hair. Shoot, all the black people I know were fascinated too.

Most people do not know what type 1 to type 4 hair means. Hair boards consist of a small number of people. It is not the general population.
Most black people, men and women, do care about what "grade" of hair grows out of their heads and those around them. I wish they did not but they do.
Shoot,, they care on hair boards and youtube. Hence, the eternal search on how to "pop" ones curls and hang time.
Other examples:

• relaxing your child's hair when they are toddlers despite the dangers
  • expression: "I would rather look like a slave than think like one"
  • Most adult women do not know what the hair that grows from their scalp actually looks like; their only clear memory is having relaxed hair
  • the prevalent use of weaves, extensions, lace fronts, wigs, and half-wigs that do not match "our" hair to the detriment of hairlines and scalps
  • the overwhelming use of children with type 2-3c hair in print ads, commercials, and on television
  • the opinion that kinky hair needs a relaxer or texturizer
  • the uproar over Malia Obama when she wore twists in Rome; people saying she was unfit to represent America for stepping out unstraightened
  • the recent uproar about Gabby's hair
I'm sorry but I wish people would not try to kumbaya reality. There is no hope for change without facing reality and discussing it honestly.

Last edited:

BrookeLynn

I think women might begin to turn to heat more.
Now I feel the same way about my pedicures. I wish I could do them myself!!!!

Me too! i would love to be able to do my own nails and toes. You would think after getting my nails done since 1996 I would be an expert but I'm a slave to those chairs at the nail shop. :nono:

sunnieb

To be quite honest I'm all natural haired out. People are just going way too hard for my liking which is making it feel like a fad.

I know exactly what you mean! I heard about a lady who organized a march a few weeks ago championing natural hair. Really? How about championing healthy hair overall? I mean, you love your natural hair - that's great, but there are far too many black women who need to learn healthy hair practices period.

In my opinion, lots of women will end up at least trying natural hair out of curiosity once their hair gets healthier. I've seen it happen amongst my circle of friends and family who took my haircare advice. I'm almost the only relaxed head left! :drunk:

I don't understand this comment? There's a lot more to successfully managing a healthy head of natural hair than there is to slapping on a relaxer and settling for NL or SL hair - so few naturals are alike with regards to type/texture etc that overcoming a particular problem is often down to time, trial and error, setbacks and more time. We have to learn our hair, learn what suits it's particular idiosyncracies, learn what it likes and doesn't... It's not as simple as "making sure to use regular protein" like it is with relaxers. If I've read you wrong or misinterpreted you please feel free to set the record straight.

I didn't settle for NL or SL hair and I'm relaxed. :look:

Just because we "slap" relaxer in our hair doesn't mean we are condemned to short, broken off hair. We have our own trials and errors as well. Not simple at all.

FemmeCreole

Island Gyal
LOL! :lachen:

For ME its here to stay
Unlike the 70s, we have so many more styling options and good hair products. For most of us, there really is no need for relaxers. You want straight hair? Just grab a flatiron. Got tired of the straight hair? Dump a bucket of water on your head :grin:

The hair you're born with can't be a trend unless we evolve into growing something else out of our scalps or having no hair at all and that takes time. The natural styles and care methods that are popular now will go out of style eventually but natural hair itself doesn't go out of style.

agree with both of you.

I did it in 08 and went back to relaxer. I still regret doing that. Had my last relaxer January 2011 and I don't believe I'll relax again. For me right now, it's just easier dealing with what comes out of my scalp naturally.

If I want a change, I can flat iron or just throw on a wig until I'm tired of it.

ecadnacmc

lovegymnasts said:
Nobody is talking about what white people think or do not think.
BTW: most white people think black women have straight hair. Also, I can not think of one non-black person I know who was not fascinated by my natural hair. Shoot, all the black people I know were fascinated too.

Most people do not know what type 1 to type 4 hair means. Hair boards consist of a small number of people. It is not the general population.
Most black people, men and women, do care about what "grade" of hair grows out of their heads and those around them. I wish they did not but they do.
Shoot,, they care on hair boards and youtube. Hence, the eternal search on how to "pop" ones curls and hang time.
Other examples:

[*]relaxing your child's hair when they are toddlers despite the dangers
[*]expression: "I would rather look like a slave than think like one"
[*]Most adult women do not know what the hair that grows from their scalp actually looks like; their only clear memory is having relaxed hair
[*]the prevalent use of weaves, extensions, lace fronts, wigs, and half-wigs that do not match "our" hair to the detriment of hairlines and scalps
[*]the overwhelming use of children with type 2-3c hair in print ads, commercials, and on television
[*]the opinion that kinky hair needs a relaxer or texturizer
[*]the uproar over Malia Obama when she wore twists in Rome; people saying she was unfit to represent America for stepping out unstraightened
[*]the recent uproar about Gabby's hair

I'm sorry but I wish people would not try to kumbaya reality. There is no hope for change without facing reality and discussing it honestly.

Maybe it's geographical because all the white people I know definitely know that our hair is not straight and is not the "same" as theirs.
Nobody is trying to imply kumbaya reality but perhaps maybe we should stop just accepting our races own stupidity about a hair hierarchy that no one cares about except other black women.

Last edited:

ThirdEyeBeauty

Definitely not a passing trend. I was the only female with a relaxing in my home when growing up. Natural is natural :grin:. Some women at work started wearing their hair natural after seeing me at work but they wanted to do it anyway but was hesitant.

empressri

I've seen this same question asked at least three times a year on different forums ever since I've gone natural, and that was over five years ago.

Here to stay!!!

BrookeLynn

One of my friends told me that 2013 is going to be a big year for her. Her sorority's Centennial, new job, and she's going natural. I asked her what she would do when she went natural and she shrugged. I think people think it's going to be this easy breezy beautiful process but they don't understand the work that comes with it. For those people, they will jump back to relaxers because it's easier. I can say for myself that I had NO IDEA of the work it took to transition. In hindsight, I would have just big chopped. But yes, natural hair is here to stay, as evidenced by the relaxer kit boxes sitting at the back of the BSS collecting dust while the ever expanding natural sections take over as everyone- both consumers AND manufacturers- jump on the "bandwagon".

sunnieb

But yes, natural hair is here to stay, as evidenced by the relaxer kit boxes sitting at the back of the BSS collecting dust while the ever expanding natural sections take over as everyone- both consumers AND manufacturers- jump on the "bandwagon".

I think the main cause of the bolded is that more relaxed heads have become enlightened to the fact that BSS box relaxers aren't the only game in town.

The women I know who still relax, use professional relaxers. :yep: