How Many Years Relaxed Before Going Natural?

How Many Years Relaxed Before Returning To Natural/Unprocessed Hair?

• 1-5 years

Votes: 26 16.1%
  • 6-10 years

Votes: 26 16.1%
  • 11-15 years

Votes: 38 23.6%
  • 16-20 years

Votes: 31 19.3%
  • 20-plus years

Votes: 40 24.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ms_Twana

I have had a relaxer since I was a kid. I don't remember exactly when, but I don't think it was before I turned 8. So I put between 16-20 years. That scares me to death when it comes to going natural, because I have NO idea what my natural hair is like.

As a kid, I remember having really curly, thick hair. When my mom washed it, it would shrink right up. And all she needed was a brush, water, and grease. She began pressing it with a hot comb because it was too thick for her to manage. My mom doesn't know ANYTHING about doing hair. Eventually, that became a problem because she said my hair began to break off, and she thought getting a perm would fix it. Little did she know. So, that's what she did. And I've had one every since.

But now it's time to break free, and join the club. I am beginning my transition. (I just realized this was supposed to be for those that are already natural. Sorry).

For those that had a relaxer since childhood, did you feel how I feel about being afraid of what "your" hair will be like??? What was the outcome when you finally saw "your" hair???

Last edited:

PaperClip

Ms_Twana said:
I have had a relaxer since I was a kid. I don't remember exactly when, but I don't think it was before I turned 8. So I put between 16-20 years. That scares me to death when it comes to going natural, because I have NO idea what my natural hair is like.

As a kid, I remember having really curly, thick hair. When my mom washed it, it would shrink right up. And all she needed was a brush, water, and grease. She began pressing it with a hot comb because it was too thick for her to manage. My mom doesn't know ANYTHING about doing hair. Eventually, that became a problem because she said my hair began to break off, and she thought getting a perm would fix it. Little did she know. So, that's what she did. And I've had one every since.

But now it's time to break free, and join the club. I am beginning my transition. (I just realized this was supposed to be for those that are already natural. Sorry).

For those that had a relaxer since childhood, did you feel how I feel about being afraid of what "your" hair will be like??? What was the outcome when you finally saw "your" hair???

Hey Ms Twana (gotta say your name with 'tude! :))

I'm close to 10 months in my transition. I was afraid for a minute but as I have spent time on the hair boards and gotten information about my hair texture and the products and techniques that work for my natural texture, that's reduced the fear a great deal.... I'm doing things with my hair I never thought I was capable of doing.... I'm wearing a quick weave/half-wig today that I picked out myself and worked out in my hair today.... Wow! It's really cute!

Congrats and much success as you return to your "roots"!

Jackie

I got my first relaxer at age 4
I cut all my hair off and went natural at age 19
I relaxed again 9 months later
I cut it all off and went natural again at age 21. (I cut it all off this past May)

To Ms Twana,
When I cut all my hair off and got my first look at my own texture for the first time at age 19, I was mesmerized. I fear that I may start to sound corny, but I really began to know myself. It was a part of me that had been kept a secret my entire life. When I cut my hair initially, I had no idea what to expect. I figured black hair (especially group 4 hair) was nothing but a wadded up heap of cotton. I was so very wrong. Only then did I learn that our hair is truly curly and beautiful despite what we've been programmed to believe. I couldn't keep my hands out of my hair, I couldn't stop looking at it. I never knew I had so many textures throughout my head. It was a great experience just to know another thing about myself that had been right under my nose all these years. Even now, after being natural for the second time in 2 years, I'm still mesmerized by my own texture. By someone else's standards my hair would be classified as "bad hair" because I'm clearly group 4, but I honestly can't call any hair texture "bad hair" after experiencing my own and loving it. So I definitely say GO FOR IT GIRL!

Jackie

kitchen_tician

20+ years. My last relaxer was May '05. I'm still transitioning, but it's so fun discovering my natural hair, but I don't even remember what my natural hair was like as a child. That was a one of the reasons for going natural, because I wanted to experience it and not relax forever, eventhough I was only relaxing 3-4 times per year. I love my natural hair and I can't wait until it's all natural.

Initially, I was a little "scared" to see my natural hair, because I figured it had to be sooooo unmanageable for my mom to relax me at such an early age. Also, I'm VERY tenderheaded, so I think this was the main reason for her. I waited until I was 6 months post relaxer to make my final decision about going natural. That would be enough newgrowth for me to see if I would be able to take the natural journey, regardless of how my naps and curls I had. I'm so glad I made the switch. No, it's not ALL fun and definitely a struggle at times, because I do miss wearing my hair silky straight sometimes, but I don't want to damage my natural hair texture with heat damage. So it's a trade off. Overall, I'm still experimenting and haven't done the BC yet, but I'm determined to have all natural healthy hair.

I was about 8 years old when I got my 1st relaxer, but it was always healthy and long. I come from a family of stylists so they always took great care of my hair. I grew up with deep conditioners, protein treatments, jojoba oil, olive oil hot oil treatments, satin pillowcases, silk scarves, no tight braids and ponytails, no rubberbands, quality hair products, boar bristle brushes, denman type brushes and of course good 'ol grease and water. :grin:

BTW, my mom and other family members were trendsetters, they often alternated between natural twas, texturizers and relaxed punked coifs when everyone thought they were crazy, now I see many ladies doing it too.

Sorry for all of the info.

Last edited:

Ms_Twana

Thanks for all the responses ladies. You have definitely made me excited about seeing my natural hair. I have a long way to go though. It's not even time for a touch-up yet. It's just been 4 weeks since my last relaxer. So it will be a minute before I get to really see my hair.

MJ

1998: first relaxer (@18)
2000: shave it all off (@ 20)
2004: second relaxer (@23)
2005: last relaxer (@24)
2006: last big chop (@ almost 25)

I was only relaxed for a total of 4 years.

OnceUponAtime

Since my last relaxer, 18 months transitioning, 18 months without relaxer.

I'm a serial transitioner. When I joined the board, I realized (via a discussion in another thread) that I had transitioned about 3 times in that five year period.

I think overall, I may have spent more years natural or transitioning than relaxed. The longest period I remember remaining relaxed was for 3 years.

Faith

I was relaxed from about 83 to 87 = 4 years relaxed. Then 2 years natural.
Then from 89 to 99 = 10 years relaxed. Then about 5 years natural.
Then from August 2004 to August 2006 = 2 years relaxed.

Now I'm going natural again. 2006 on....

lmjenk67

Had my first relaxer around 9 or 10; finally did a BC on Aug. 10, 2006, so I was relaxed for nearly 30 years!!! No turning back now - I will forever remain natural!!!

I'll update my avatar pic as soon as I quit being lazy and snap a new pic (or crop the camera out of the ones in my fotki).

Hair Iam

First perm at 12 years of age:eek: ( resulted in limp life less hair:( ).
Close to 2 years natural, last kiddy perm was June 2004, big chop June 2005, 100% natural since June 2005.
After a tangled mess April 2006 (no slip product, lost about 50% of my hair:cry2: ) found the LHCF in April 2006. Now my hair is near approaching shoulder:dance7: .
Thanks to God and the ladies on the LHCF
p.s over 19 years processed

Last edited:

KiSseS03

I was mostly relaxed from the age of 4 or 5 (i knooooow!) until the age of 20, so for about 15 years! I say mostly because I had a curly perm in grade 2 :/ and I tried transitioning twice in the last 4 years... Now I am 100% natural as of my BC just over a month ago :)

Wildchild453

When I hit waist I stop
I got a relaxer when I was in 5th grade, thats about 10, and I stopped relaxing in 10th, about 15. So 5 years for me

Last edited:

BlackMasterPiece

I was relaxed only about 4 yrs outta my life.

I grew up in a household where my mom outlawed relaxers so it was my little mini rebellion.

I wanted to be down with the thin haired shoulder length girls that always made fun of my type 4 thick hair:rolleyes:

I quickly ran screaming back to my natural coarse coils except this time I really looked into caring for it properly....I'm in love with my kinks and I'll be natural for life:yep:

Last edited:
I had my first relaxer at 16 and my last one at 31 days ago. So I was relaxed for a little less than 3 years. I had terrible perming practices and only God knows how I have a strand of hair left on my head! I permed every 4 weeks/28 days on the dot, root to tip :blush:

But now I'm transitioning and on to a better hair regimen. I'm not saying perms are the worst thing ever created but they certainly aren't for Yanira :yep:

ilah

Started relaxing at 9-10 yrs old and started my transition at 29 (Getting ready to turn 30 was my biggest influence to do so).

MissK7

wave nouveau (sp??) at 8, relaxer at 10 (i think)

anywho last relaxer at 22.

so about 14 yrs (maybe less) with chemicals b4 going natural. never ever again going back to chemicals. if i want some variety ill use a wig. i loves my curly naps!!!!