Natural ladies, How do you keep the greys away?

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
I don't want highlights though. I prefer my hair jet black. I always have. There has to be a healthier way(meaning no Ammonia) to get my hair jet black.

Then indigo is the way to go. Yes it takes.forever but worth it. Plus it also increases strand fatness. And I found that after that first henna and indigo, it's easy enough to just add indigo to a reconstructor or protein treatment to keep the color rich.

BostonMaria

I don't know if I can claim natural after today cause I'm getting rid of these greys one way or another.:ohwell:

PinkSunshine77 Don't let that whole natural hair craze thing deter you from covering your greys if thats what you want.

Let me warn you about henna. I used to dye using Henna back in 2007, but please know that henna does NOT go away. It'll stay on your hair forever. That sounds great BUT now I can't dye my hair at all. I tried to do a nice brownish red and the henna did not let the dye penetrate the hair shaft. I had half red half brown hair and looked cray cray LOL I did henna 5 years ago and to this day I can't get rid of the henna. I'd have to cut my hair, which is almost Hip Length and you know that's not going to happen LOL

So now I use Nice & Easy Root Touch-up and just touch up my grey roots only every 4-6 weeks. I don't do my whole head because of the henna, but this works for me just fine.

There are also less harsh hair dyes out there. I sometimes buy Natural Tints at either Whole Foods or Vitamin Shoppe.

Last edited:

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
I don't know if the color has protein in it or not. You may need to check the ingredients. But it is a permanent color so you may not want a permanent color. If you do use a demi-permanent or permanent color you should balance your hair's ph immediately after your final rinse and do a keratin protein treatment 4 days after your color to strengthen your strands. You may be able to get by with a semi-permanent one of the other poster's mentioned. They are less damaging. You may want to try them first. Shea Moisture doesn't have ammonia. There are more and more brands that don't have ammonia. You should be able to find black with no ammonia especially if you are going the semi-permanent route.
thanks so much! I resisted temptation to use that permanent hair dye I have in my cabinet right now

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
Then indigo is the way to go. Yes it takes.forever but worth it. Plus it also increases strand fatness. And I found that after that first henna and indigo, it's easy enough to just add indigo to a reconstructor or protein treatment to keep the color rich.
thank you! :)

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
PinkSunshine77 Don't let that whole natural hair craze thing deter you from covering your greys if thats what you want. Let me warn you about henna. I used to dye using Henna back in 2007, but please know that henna does NOT go away. It'll stay on your hair forever. That sounds great BUT now I can't dye my hair at all. I tried to do a nice brownish red and the henna did not let the dye penetrate the hair shaft. I had half red half brown hair and looked cray cray LOL I did henna 5 years ago and to this day I can't get rid of the henna. I'd have to cut my hair, which is almost Hip Length and you know that's not going to happen LOL So now I use Nice & Easy Root Touch-up and just touch up my grey roots only every 4-6 weeks. I don't do my whole head because of the henna, but this works for me just fine. There are also less harsh hair dyes out there. I sometimes buy Natural Tints at either Whole Foods or Vitamin Shoppe.
thanks so much for letting me know! I had no idea

PerFicMsFit

PinkSunshine77

I was successful with using the following on my mother's gray hair for the first time: 3 oz. bottle of Clairol Professional Beautiful Collection Semi-Permanent Hair Color Advanced Gray Solution in the Midnight Black Color with a 2 mL (0.068 oz.) packet of Ardell Gray Magic added to the entire bottle of hair color and shaken well.

After shampooing and deep conditioning her hair, I applied the color, covered her hair with a plastic cap, and allowed it to process for 30 minutes under the dryer on medium heat. Then, I rinsed it out with cool water.

I bought both items from Sally's Beauty Supply.
http://www.sallybeauty.com/gray-hair-color/CLAIRL50,default,pd.html
http://www.sallybeauty.com/gray-hair/ARDELL18,default,pd.html

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
PinkSunshine77 I was successful with using the following on my mother's gray hair for the first time: 3 oz. bottle of Clairol Professional Beautiful Collection Semi-Permanent Hair Color Advanced Gray Solution in the Midnight Black Color with a 2 mL (0.068 oz.) packet of Ardell Gray Magic added to the entire bottle of hair color and shaken well. After shampooing and deep conditioning her hair, I applied the color, covered her hair with a plastic cap, and allowed it to process for 30 minutes under the dryer on medium heat. Then, I rinsed it out with cool water. I bought both items from Sally's Beauty Supply. http://www.sallybeauty.com/gray-hair-color/CLAIRL50,default,pd.html http://www.sallybeauty.com/gray-hair/ARDELL18,default,pd.html
thank you :)

ChristmasCarol

PinkSunshine77

I have never colored or hennaed my hair, so I can't help there, but I do take quite a few vitamins that prevent graying! 50 is knocking on my door and I only have a few grays (I like them alot, however)

A lack of B and C vitamins is why some populations gray quickly and others gray slowly. Both my parents grayed early, so it's not a genetic factor keeping them away. I've been on a vitamin regimen for about 4 years and I have only noticed a few more grays in all this time.

So, in addition to henna/coloring, you may also want to consider vitamins that slow the graying process.

Duchesse

I used to do henna until my hair was almost entirely auburn. Now that I want a jet black look I jusrt ay bump it as far as keeping it all the way "natural". I use Clairol Rinse for greys, or Clairol Natural Instincts demi-permament.

If you don't mind the color, I'd give henna a go.

jlatr

PinkSunshine77 I have never colored or hennaed my hair, so I can't help there, but I do take quite a few vitamins that prevent graying! 50 is knocking on my door and I only have a few grays (I like them alot, however) A lack of B and C vitamins is why some populations gray quickly and others gray slowly. Both my parents grayed early, so it's not a genetic factor keeping them away. I've been on a vitamin regimen for about 4 years and I have only noticed a few more grays in all this time. So, in addition to henna/coloring, you may also want to consider vitamins that slow the graying process.

What vitamins do you take/recommend?