naturals: does your HAIR GROW OUT OUR DOWN?

does your hair grow out or down or both

• my hair grows "down", my curls/kinks hang

Votes: 40 15.3%
  • my hair grows "out" like an afro, and does not really hang w/o me handling it some

Votes: 97 37.2%
  • mine is a combo of both out and down

Votes: 117 44.8%
  • other - please explain

Votes: 7 2.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kurlybella

when i first started my natural journey and had short hair it grew outwards and never used to hang.
now that it's longer it hangs out and down more than it did before.
my friend who's been natural as long as me has hair that still grows out like a fro -- it does not hang without manipulation and her hair is long.
eta: however, if i let my hair get soaking wet it shrinks up like a fro so i have do do some manupulation.
so i'm a combo of both.
what about you: out or down or some combo of both?

Last edited:

cmesweet

My hair grows down, it hangs when manipulated into a twistout or braid out. It hangs in the shower, especially while i'm detangling it. Overall, it sticks out all over.

Sunshine0801

For the first year or so after I BC'ed, my hair grew out.

Now, it grows down, and it takes some serious manipulation for it to stay out.

jamaraa

Old people used to talk about "training" hair. When I was a kid, I thought this sounded hilarious, but that's what they were doing. The were "training" the hair to grow and hang downwards. Funny thing is, back in the sho nuff Afro days, many of those women had to STYLE it into a fro w/ hair spray or even get a hairdresser to "make" one. Their hair would "stay up" cuz of how it was cared for in childhood.

There really is something to the whole training notion IMHO.

Last edited:

mscocoface

I was just looking at my hair the other day after I did a deep conditioning and I just let it dry even with my length once the shrinkage sets in and it is dry as a bone it is so up and out it looked like a gigantic thick black cotton ball sitting on my head.

Needless to say, my hair said when it is a cold day in you know where that is when I will lie down and be manageable, so I had to wet my hair again and start braiding.

I came to the realization that no matter how long it gets it is never ever going to hang unless it is in something like twists or I use some type of heat like a blow dryer or pressing comb. Oh well I just have that type of hair and there is nothing that is going to change it, even if it does have curlies and coilies now it is still a large cottony mass of wonderfulness!:look:

Short answer: my hair grows out, now I am trying to see how far out it grows. What an adventure!!!

Bint Yusef

For every 3 outs I get a down. At some point it will all go down because of the weight, and then I will be in nirvana.

InnerSoul

My hair grows out... but of course my hair is in the short length stage... I am sure the longer that it gets, it will grow downwards.

anon123

I was just looking at my hair the other day after I did a deep conditioning and I just let it dry even with my length once the shrinkage sets in and it is dry as a bone it is so up and out it looked like a gigantic thick black cotton ball sitting on my head.

Short answer: my hair grows out, now I am trying to see how far out it grows. What an adventure!!!

Pictures!

My hair primarily grows out. I think all hair does, it's just at what point it goes down. Even stick straight Asian hair will stick out if it's really short. The less kinky or the less dense hair is, the more quickly it will start to hang. I haven't let my hair dry up loose in a long time, so I don't know if it would still stand up. If I wash loose, there's a tiny bit of hang when it's wet but it's mostly still outwards. So I guess I'll vote for growing out.

Cichelle

It grows down now. But there was a time when it grew out, in a big east-west triangle type shape.

laketta

Now it seems as the longer it gets the more it starts to hang. When it was shorter it grew outward.

MissMarie

***sigh***
mine does both
it pretty much just grows down in the back
but out then down everywhere else. kinda like a floppy fro on the top parts

tocktick

i guess it grows out but as it gets longer, the coils hang down because my hair is heavier. the hair at the nape of my hair has pretty much always grown down though. i suspect the majority of my hair will never really grow down but i appreciate that it will have the ability to both stick out like a fro and hang down.

JustKiya

Pictures!

My hair primarily grows out. I think all hair does, it's just at what point it goes down. Even stick straight Asian hair will stick out if it's really short. The less kinky or the less dense hair is, the more quickly it will start to hang. I haven't let my hair dry up loose in a long time, so I don't know if it would still stand up. If I wash loose, there's a tiny bit of hang when it's wet but it's mostly still outwards. So I guess I'll vote for growing out.

Indeed, to all of that. When my hair is wet, it hangs down - but I think that's because it's fine, so even a little extra weight will make it hang. If I let my hair dry, shrunken & unmanipulated, I'm pretty certain most of it would be up - my nape would hang down though (danggone nappy mullet!! :lachen:)

Sunshine0801

Out see siggy :perplexed:

See, to me, based on your siggy, it looks like your hair grows down. For example, the front of your hair shapes your face instead of sticking out to the sides.

My fro looks similar to yours in your siggy in terms of its shape, unless I heavily manipulate it (which I still haven't quite mastered since the 1-2 year natural mark).

P

Paradox

It would be out..but I have 6 years of heat damage...sooo yeah.