Naturals get in here!!!! : )

Lebiya

Hi ladies,

I’m a natural and I’ve been trying to combat the dry crunchy hair syndrome since forever now. I’ve noticed regardless of how much moisturizer I apply (s-curl) minutes after it dries in my hair seem crunchier and harder than before!!!! I just recently purchase Giovanni in hopes of a difference -so well see how that goes…but I’m still trying to escape it this dryness that doesn’t seem to end. I also baggy every night (whole head) then when I remove my baggy –again minutes after it dries my hair is crunchy again! This is driving me nuts!!!!! I also think it’s the cause of my hair breaking and shedding tremendously- I added biotin so well also see how that goes.

In the meantime Im looking for a good ALL NATURAL/ORGANIC (cone-free, paraben-free –and all those harsh ingredients FREE) moisturizer

PLEASE ladies, what is a good moisturizer- one that REALLY REALLY moisturizes, and perhaps one that I can get in stores –or even better in Toronto (Canada)

Price isn’t an issue AT ALL! PLEASE let me know : )

PittGirl06

Hair product junkie reloaded!
You may want to try some shea butter. Do you do condiioner washes? (if that's included in the baggy method, pardon me...cuz I don't remember much about the baggy method....lol).....IF you don't cw, I woudl suggest it becuase my hair is always moisturized when I do them. Also consider chanign gyour shampoo to a deep moisturizing one.

Also consider using some spray on leave-in conditioners for moisture.

If you don't want to waste your S-Curl, you may want to consider mixing the rest of it up with something elseor maybe even diluting it some.

I would reccomend anything in the Surge line of products....their hair oil and lotion are great for moisture.

Also may want to consider using a shapoo or conditioner with tea tree in it....I LOVE Fantasia conditioner.....in a small green bottle...but really anything ought to do.

HTH

Last edited:

babyblue

you might want to try castor oil + water for moisturizing. that usually cures my dry ends. just mist with water and seal with the castor oil. It leaves hair really soft plus it's all natural.

also maybe your hair is reacting to the glycerine in the s-curl. for some folks in dry non-humid climates, using a glycerine based product will suck the moisture from your hair. stop using it for a while and see if your hair reacts differently.

Victorian

old head
Yeah, like babyblue mentioned, I would be very careful using a humectant in dry weather. The only moisture available is going to be in your hair so that's where the glycerin is going to draw water from.

You may consider a mild protein. Hair that lacks enough protein often has trouble retaining moisture.

I don't use a moisturizing product on my natural hair (well except for now when I'm wearing it straight); I do the water + oil combo.

kristina

This is why I have a love/hate thing with s-curl. i think you're definately overkilling the glycerin. You may have coated hair from all the products. I'd clarify (sorry I don't know of a natural clarifying shampoo- you could try baking soda) and then deep condition with honey and olive oil and a detangling conditioner. Then try a bit of conditioner and castor oil on wet hair as mentioned

Stationwagon

I agree with the last post. You really have to be careful with too much glycerin. I used to use Soft and Beautiful Lite Creme Moisturizer and glycerin is one of the top ingredients. It would make my hair soft for a while but afterwards my hair would get really hard.

I would try clarifying with the VO5 Kiwi and Lime shampoos to get rid of the glycerin. These shampoos are super cheap (try a dollar store in your neighborhood) and will pretty much get rid of anything you have left in your hair. Then try a good conditioner. I will either use Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose or Elasta QP Intense Conditioner. Elasta QP does have parabens in it but the Aubrey Organics doesn't.

As a leave-in, I either use a light applicaiton of Qhemet Biologics Olive-n-Honey Hydration Balm or plan old castor oil.

Hope this helps. Thanks - Adrienne72

Cheleigh

I like a filtered water, aloe vera, honey, and essential oil based moisturizer that I make homemade. For a commerical moisturizer to use on top of wet hair, I use Curls Milkshake, Blended Beauty Butter Me Up, or Oyin Whipped Pudding.

I have to use only small amounts of glycerin. I cannot use glycerin in significant amounts like S-Curl or activator gel--it makes my hair crunchy and hard.

bludacious

Try elucence moisture balancing conditioner. I use this as a leave-in because I co-wash daily! I apply the elucence then I apply sebastian wet and paul mitchell foaming pomade. Works like a charm...

zailless

dr miracles gro oil. it beats scurl, stay sof fro and any other moisturizing product out there. it made my hair feel like baby hair all over root to tip. i bought it for my scalp, but was shocked how it made the rest of my hair feel.

SparklingFlame

Adrienne72 said:
I would try clarifying with the VO5 Kiwi and Lime shampoos to get rid of the glycerin. These shampoos are super cheap (try a dollar store in your neighborhood) and will pretty much get rid of anything you have left in your hair. Then try a good conditioner.
Clarifying is your friend. You can also use plain warm water w/ baking soda. That will make your hair squeaky clean....literally! :lol:

Then use a heavy moisturizer like Qhemet Biologics or Elasta QP Mango butter. You may want to leave the s-curl stuff alone. It doesnt sound like it agress w/ your hair. Good luck! ;)

camellia

The best moisturizer for me is Evian water in a little spray bottle. I lightly spritz my hair with it and then seal with a little avocado butter or unrefined hemp seed oil. Silky, moisturized hair all day long!

neenzmj

I have had great success using either Elucence as a leave-in or NTM Triple Moisture leave-in. I'll also use a little coconut oil.

keluric

To clarify, you can also use vinegar as a rinse. After clarifying, your hair will respond better to other products.

JuicesN'Berries

I can't stress enough the effects that castor oil has had on my hair. I had alot of breakage and split ends. I used the castor oil for about two weeks, I then got a dominican blow out.....to my suprise no breakage and no splitting my hair was soft as ever. Please try it and see the difference. I put the castor oil in after I wash and as a daily moisturizer.

Hair Iam

JuicesN'Berries said:
I can't stress enough the effects that castor oil has had on my hair. I had alot of breakage and split ends. I used the castor oil for about two weeks, I then got a dominican blow out.....to my suprise no breakage and no splitting my hair was soft as ever. Please try it and see the difference. I put the castor oil in after I wash and as a daily moisturizer.

what she said :look:

Country gal

I don't like Scurl in the bottle. I like the jar version for smoothing out puffs. When I used the SCurl activator it did my relaxed hair wrong. It made it so weak and lifeless.

angellazette

I've never been a fan of S curl! I would definately clarify then try some of the suggestions in the thread. One product I personally love is Happy Nappy styles...it does exactly what it says...defines and moisturizes without greasiness.

CORBINS

babyblue said:
you might want to try castor oil + water for moisturizing. that usually cures my dry ends. just mist with water and seal with the castor oil. It leaves hair really soft plus it's all natural.

also maybe your hair is reacting to the glycerine in the s-curl. for some folks in dry non-humid climates, using a glycerine based product will suck the moisture from your hair. stop using it for a while and see if your hair reacts differently.

I agree with babyblue, when I use any glycerine products I have extreme dryness. I have completely changed to oils, products with shea butter and cream moisturizers and my hair is doing much better. Using an ACV rinse and Baking Soda rinse also helps soften your hair too.

IrisDaVirus

Most likely the glycerin in the activator is the problem. Try doing a clarifying treatment and starting up with conditioner washes. Find a good moisturizer that has low or no glycerin. I alternate between African Royale Miracle Oil Moisturizer and Africa's Best Olive Oil Moisturizing Growth Lotion. I'm pretty sure there are others out there that are just as nice so good luck with your product search.