Naturals - how many years did you relax your hair?

How many years did you relax your hair before doing the BC?

• 1-5 years

Votes: 31 11.7%
  • 5-10 years

Votes: 48 18.1%
  • 10-15 years

Votes: 72 27.2%
  • 15+ years... too darn long to count!

Votes: 102 38.5%
  • I'm still relaxed but wanted to join your poll anyway LOL

Votes: 12 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BostonMaria

I read so many different threads about doing the BC and not really knowing what to do with your natural hair because you haven't seen it in a while. For me, I relaxed my hair from 1981 through 2006 so that's 25 years. I did the BC when I was 36 years old and I didn't have a clue how to do my hair. It was fun learning and being a PJ! But to me its a darn shame I didn't even know what my natural hair looked like for so long. My DD's had to teach ME how to use gel the right way and how to apply conditioner if I want to jump in a pool... just random stuff that just comes natural to my DD's (no pun intended :grin: )

So now I'm just curious to see how many years did you relax before you finally did the Big Chop. :drunk:

Everyone always forgets about the lifetime naturals...I know the question isn't directed at us but we like to be included :lachen:.

Everyone always forgets about the lifetime naturals...I know the question isn't directed at us but we like to be included :lachen:.

Oops! I was going to include "never" but then thought it would be silly to add it. Guess not! LOL Sawee

I was relaxed since about age 2 so 1988 to 2005 until i went natural for 2 yrs then went back relaxed in 2008 to 2009 and now back natural for life.

I've been relaxed on and off from 1994 till 2009 maybe 4 years spread out in between with no relaxer...and I had no idea what I was doing when it was natural lol....It looked crAzy! lol

Last edited:
I was relaxed since about age 2 so 1988 to 2005 until i went natural for 2 yrs then went back relaxed in 2008 to 2009 and now back natural for life.

Wow that's really something.

I truly don't remember mine so but I'm guessing anywhere from 8-12 years.

My goodness that's so young! I can't imagine putting a relaxer on a baby like that. How can you get a 2 year old to even stand still for that long?

I was 10 years old. I'll never forget that dreaded day. There's nothing more traumatizing than going from long hair to neck length in less than a year due to people messing with your hair.

I think I average out to about a year. When I got relaxed at 8, my relaxing routine lasted for almost an entire school year. Then I relaxed twice after that when I was 12.

I was relaxed only about four years out of my life, and that was four years too long:nono:

I have no one to blame but myself. My mom NEVER wanted me to get a relaxer but I wanted to be "down" and "fit in" the kids in HS. They told me my hair was too thick, too nappy, too everything and I let my aunt get a hold of my head *sighs* she meant well but I could kick myself for ever putting my hair thru that harsh chemical exposure. I didn't fully love myself back then but thats why we grow up.

I'm thrilled with the progress I've made over the years especially considering I didn't have any outside help whatsoever. But sometimes I could kick myself for ever allowing anyone to put those caustic chemicals on my head, ya know, near my brain??

I've made amazing progress since then so I don't dwell on regret much.

I'm not sure of the exact age I got my first relaxer but I stopped at 18. So I was relaxed for 8-12 years.

I was never consistent though. Since I stayed in braids mostly, I went up to 1-2 years without a relaxer.

I don't actually remember my first relaxer. My hair is natural in my preschool pic and relaxed in my kindergarten pic so...So I must have been relaxed about 14-15 years. My last relaxer was about 6 years ago (I can't believe it's been that long! The time has flown!)

Off and on for over 20 years. More on than off. I don't remember exact ages, but wow! I can't believe I did it for so long.

5-10 years off & on.4 or 5 bc...

N A T U R A L for life.......

GOOD THREAD BostonMaria!

Happy Hair Growing!

Off and on for 30 years, More on than off
I attempted to go Natural in College, because I noticed the natural heading girls had longer hair.

I don't think I made it 3 months after my BC because I had no clue what to do with my hair, oh and my best friend Started calling me Nipsy Russell LOL

I got my 1st relaxer at 15 and like everyone else I did it to fit in with the high school crowd. I got my last relaxer 6months after my 25th birthday. So for a total of 10yrs I was relaxed. Funny thing is I never meant for it to be that long. I wanted to grow my hair out in vet school but I got lazy and decided to keep relaxing even though I was going 3-6mos without a relaxer. My plan is to stay natural for the rest of my life.

I was around eight or nine when I got my first relaxer, and fifteen when I transitioned. I just big chopped last year.

I got my first relaxer in 5th grade around '92 Got my last relaxer in early 2006. So about 13-14years. I didn't big chop though.

I first got a relaxer because I lived with my dad and he had no idea what to do w/my hair so of course the hairdresser said perm it up and that's what we did.:ohwell:

I was relaxed for about 14 years. I relaxed at 13 and at 27 when I was pregnant with my first son my stylist told me I didn't need a relaxer. I said it's your world do your thing. RIP (1986 - 2000)

I was first relaxed when I was about 6. Stopped relaxing at age 20, so that's about 14 years of relaxing.

Back