Naturals (no texturizers/BKT preferred) who color treat...

Did you texture change?
Was there any difference between your natural hair and your natural hair colored?

I am thinking about adding some color but dont want to ruin or relax my texture at all.

Thank you.

I colored my hair when I first went natural. I loved the color and my texture didn't change, however, I had to cut all the color off as it grew out because it became too dry.

I have worn color for years, I am growing it out now. My texture didn't change, but my colored hair is more dry and less healthy than the rest of my hair.

No my texture didn't change but I could tell the difference in health. The colored hair wasn't damaged but it wasn't as shiny as the rest of my hair.

Didn't change the texture, just required more conditioning. Otherwise, it's VERY healthy. HOwever, I did notice that the colored hair didn't hold a curl as well as the uncolored. But it's been almost 16 years since I had dark hair........

Thank you both.

So you both say that color dried your hair out even as a natural?
I guess it's a myth that color only dries chemically treated hair.

It's usually a little dry the first day, but if you started out with good conditioned hair, and pending upon how many levels you are trying to lift, that kind of guides how it will turn out

Thank you ladies...

FNP, what do you DC with? Do you typically heat straighten?

Ramya, did you cut the colored sections off?
Directly after bleaching and depositing a toner, I follow with a apHogee treatment. Then the next time I wash it, I'll Sebastian clear cellophane it.
I use a T3 tourmaline hair dryer and flat iron with my Izunami flat iron or the FHI.
Finally, after flat ironing, I use an Ojon Daily Treatment (glosser/shine).
I usually bleach my hair, then end up dying it 2-3 times again that SAME DAY, and lo and behold, it's still on ,my head a very healthy. It trips people out when they reach for it (I HATE THAT!!!!!) and it's silky soft. I guess they''re expecting straw.

Color does loosen the hair of some (it did for me)

My original curl pattern (granted this is before sour cream and lemon treatments, henna, and the like)
P1190030-vi.jpg

After my color (first color of my life and before my first bkt)
4conditionafcolor-vi.jpg

Last edited:
i used nutrisse in the box, med blond to acheive a reddish brown in my siggy (my natural hair is very black.) it has not changed my texture and it's not dry. i dc every week and alternate between natural curly and flat ironed hair. i love it, but i am starting to miss my black hair. i wished i could go for a lighter color, but i haven't done that in many years, but when i did it was on relaxed hair and much lighter not quite as blonde as FNP's, but pretty close and my hair was healthy and moisturized. never had a problem with color thank God and Lord knows i've done the rainbow and back. lol

FNP- I love ur color!

Thank you soo much ladies.

FNP, I'll admit, I thought you had on a wig.
I have never seen black hair that blonde and so healthy looking.
Thank you for the tips..

Thank you for the photo comparison sheba1

LMAO!!!!! No worries. I get that alot! Especially from non AA women! Even when I wear it up in a ponytail and they see the roots, they still pull it!

i used nutrisse in the box, med blond to acheive a reddish brown in my siggy (my natural hair is very black.) it has not changed my texture and it's not dry. i dc every week and alternate between natural curly and flat ironed hair. i love it, but i am starting to miss my black hair. i wished i could go for a lighter color, but i haven't done that in many years, but when i did it was on relaxed hair and much lighter not quite as blonde as FNP's, but pretty close and my hair was healthy and moisturized. never had a problem with color thank God and Lord knows i've done the rainbow and back. lol

FNP- I love ur color!

thank you. I do surprisingly little to my hair. Condition once a week or once every two weeks ( depends upon if I feel like washing the blonde beast). oh and I'm big on Shimmerin lights to get rid of the brassiness. I'll try to upload a pic in better light this week. White light shows the true color. The pic with the hair down was taken in soft white light which makes it look kinda orange. And like u, I alternate between curly and flatiron, because I'm lazy like that!

Last edited:
Glad I came across this post! I bleached my hair for highlights and have definitely noticed a change. Texture is still the same, just really really DRY! I'm working hard to get things back to normal.

Glad I came across this post! I bleached my hair for highlights and have definitely noticed a change. Texture is still the same, just really really DRY! I'm working hard to get things back to normal.
Did you change your reggie at all since you colored?
Maybe you need a harder protein and a more DCing?

FNP is ya girl....

I just did it a few weeks ago. And now that I am home and won't be travellig so much, I'm actually changing my regimen now. DCing as I type. I'm looking through the site to get some ideas now. I'm sure I'll be able to get some great ideas. The ladies here are awesome.

Try an aphogee. Good stuff. Then use the Ojon for blondes or the clear one. I don't DC at all. I cellophange, aphogee and keep rolling. I think there is such a thing as doing tooooo much.

Back