Naturals, please help me

LucieLoo12

Ok, so I've been natural for almost a year. I moisturize and seal everyday and my hair lacks not moisture....but I've been reading some threads about protein treatments. Now when I was relaxed, I knew when it was time for a protein treatment, but now being natural its hard to tell. I always thought we needed protien because of the chemicals and heat we apply to our hair, well I do not use either one. So do I even need a treatment and how to tell when I do?

Thanks in advance :yep:

pookaloo83

I notice when my hair starts breaking. Other times I don't notice at all. Do I just make sure I do it every other week.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using LHCF

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
I notice my hair needs protein if I feel like my ends are not retaining the moisture I apply from products, if my hair seems to be shedding or breaking more than usual, and if I know I have been manipulating it often. I have fine strands, so my hair is quick to tell me that it's time for more protein. :lol:

Ronnieaj

Not every natural needs protein, especially on a regular basis. If you notice that you're hair is pulling and then snapping off, that's typically an indicator of needing a protein treatment. If your hair starts to feel TOO soft, almost like overcooked spaghetti, then you need a protein treatment.

My hair needs a PT typically around every 6 weeks. I alternate between a hard one (Aphogee 2-step) and a milder one (Mega-tek). A lot of naturals can use a mild protein, or even a balanced conditioner like Aubrey Organics GPB as their only protein and be just fine. If you don't know how much protein your hair needs, I would definitely start with a milder one and see if that's sufficient before working your way up. HTH!

virtuenow

Good advice above. If your hair is not retaining moisture, a regular mild to moderate deep conditioner w/protein-moisture balance should do the trick. I use Aubrey Organics GPB weely.

lamaria211

I been natural 2yrs and I never do protein treatments. I have AO GPB and I think I used it like twice then when I do use it I mix it with a moisturizing condish. There is usually a small amount of protein in mostly all hair products I think thats enough for me. Hth

FoxxyLocs

I never did protein treatments until I started using heat. Now I do a light protein treatment before I flat iron. I've never had a situation where my hair felt like it needed protein though.

Sent from my HTC Evo

claud-uk

There should be no "set" time for using protein, especially if you aren't relaxed. Even those who are relaxed are best to use it when the hair needs it instead of going by a calendar.

Personally I know I need protein when my ends start breaking at different lengths. If my broken hairs are mostly the same length that tells me I need a trim, but different lengths usually indicates protein.

If you aren't sure whether you need protein or not then I would go very lightly - start with an egg white mixed into your conditioner and see how your hair feels after. Don't forget to follow up with a DC after (I mix the egg yolk into my DC for it's conditioning properties!)

If your hair responds positively to the light protein and is much the better for it (hair feels strong/fortified as opposed of dry and breaking), maybe you could go out and buy a proper protein treatment specifically for the purpose - Aphogee 2 Minute is a great regular use product, or you could just continue using egg white if you're a cheapie like me :lol:

claud-uk

I should add I'm natural (only about 1-2" relaxed ends left) and I use light protein weekly because my whole hair feels better with it than without it. Everyone's hair is different tho!

0live0il

When I first came to the hair boards I'd read things like "Naturals don't need protein treatments.. maybe once every 6 weeks" But my hair started breaking off/snapping/feeling tooo soft.

My hair needs protein EVERY week & I even try and make sure my leave-ins have some protein as well lol.

What type of hair do you have? Is it fine/coarse? Most fine haired people need it quite often, because our hair strands are weak.

Last edited:

Iluvsmuhgrass

When my grass becomes fickle and breaks on the ends. Protein isn't a bad thing in and of itself... but too MUCH can do some damage. Recently I used ALOT of Dudley's DRC.... (not sure what I was thinking)... so I've been running damage control. When I used it prior, I used the right amount and it was perfect. I love Nexxus Emergencee because it's not as strong and it gets the job done. :yep:

You just have to dig into your hair with your hands and get a feel for what's going on. :yep: Pay close attention to any breakage or shed hair. It'll tell you what you need when you get accustomed to it. People will tell you that our hair doesn't need protein but I know mine and it does. One stronger treatment and I'm good for a 1-3 months.

LucieLoo12

When I first came to the hair boards I'd read things like "Naturals don't need protein treatments.. maybe once every 6 weeks" But my hair started breaking off/snapping/feeling tooo soft.

My hair needs protein EVERY week & I even try and make sure my leave-ins have some protein as well lol.

What type of hair do you have? Is it fine/coarse? Most fine haired people need it quite often, because are hair strands were weak.

I am a 3C-4a. I have like two different textures, I've been natural for almost a year, not long so I heard your texture changes over time. my hair is not coarse at all. it's very coily and when I wear it in ponytails or buns, it's wavy...

knt1229

This is going to sound odd, but, my hair changes color. It becomes a reddish brown color. My hair is normally dark brown/black. I don't know why the color changes. But it does. I think it may have something to do with not getting enough protein in my diet.

After I do my homemade protein DC which is made from egg, yogurt and EVOO it goes back to it's normal color. I have been completely natural for 2 years, don't dye my hair and rarely use heat.

However, I always do a protein dc after using direct heat on my hair and sometimes before using direct heat.

0live0il

I am a 3C-4a. I have like two different textures, I've been natural for almost a year, not long so I heard your texture changes over time. my hair is not coarse at all. it's very coily and when I wear it in ponytails or buns, it's wavy...

Your hair sounds quite similar to mine, except I just classify myself as a 3c.

Try

and see how your hair likes it.

I keep this in for like an hour & it has really helped me with my retention.

SimJam

I agree with the previous posters.

watch out for the tell tale signs.

even as a relaxed head I didnt need more than a light protein treatment - especially if I did a mid relaxer protein treatment.

so as a natural I find I only need protein treatments every maybe every 3 - 4 months.
I use ceramides and henna regularly which seem to be sufficient to tide me through (even though they are not proteins)

whiteoleander91

stay at your best ♥
My hair starts shedding like craazy if I go too long without a protein treatment. Sometimes it will be super super stretchy when wet, too.

LucieLoo12

Thanks!!!! I used this all the time as a relaxed head!
How often you do this?
0live0il

Your hair sounds quite similar to mine, except I just classify myself as a 3c.

Try

and see how your hair likes it.

I keep this in for like an hour & it has really helped me with my retention.

yorkpatties

I use the kimmaytube leave-in often (aloe vera juice/kckt/castor & jojoba oils) so I find that I don't need to do protein treatments often, as I guess I get enough protein from the avj.

I know I am in need a protein when my hair gets stretchy and highly porous, so I use porosity control conditioner left-over from my relaxed days, or most recently I mixed Aussie Moist with Nexxus Emergency and had good results.

KurlyNinja

Everytime I try a product that has protein in it as a main ingredient, my hair acts a d### fool! I dont know whats in my reggie thats acting like a protein or if my hair is just doing fine without it, but I steer clear of it. Protein did everything for my relaxed hair. But my natural hair is a no-go.

JJamiah

I need protein for my natural hair on a weekly basis. I use a light protein w/ moisturizer in it like Dudley Hair Rebuilder and I use Dudley DRC 28 as needed. I am sticking to those two old school treatments I have used since I was 15... many moons ago. YUCK... did I just say that.. LOLOLOL

Any who, I tried the no protein for my hair and with my illness, it didn't help my situation at all. My hair would have come out regardless yes, but I think the lack of protein treatments contributed. I did things ass backwards; after my hair stopped falling out due to the illness and medication, I started the protein treatments.

VictoriousBrownFlower

My hair has never been a big fan of protein and I'm fine haired. I use a mild protein as needed which is around once a month. I know when my hair needs protein when the curls aren't popping the way they normally do. They get limper and less defined. It also breaks easier and doesn't hold an out style as well.