Naturals that Straighten...

The heat tester gives a reliable temperature range when you press the hot comb on the heat tester's base. There are10 LED lights to indicate heat range...low, medium, high and super high. This let's me determine
the exact temperature needed to straighten my hair.

HOW COOL is that!!!!:yep: I was wondering why your stove was 300 bucks. :grin:

The heat tester gives a reliable temperature range when you press the hot comb on the heat tester's base. There are10 LED lights to indicate heat range...low, medium, high and super high. This let's me determine
the exact temperature needed to straighten my hair.

Thanks 4 ur response. 1 more question, pls.

I remember reading either on this thread or somewhere else that you really aren't using high heat. So, do you wait until the LED lights indicate that the heat is at low, medium...?

BTW, I tried the tension straightening method. This is the straightest my hair has ever gotten w/a blowdryer.

Pic of my hair blowdried w/a comb:

PC160024-vi.jpg

Pic of my hair blowdried w/the tension method:
P1090055-vi.jpg

Thanks 4 ur response. 1 more question, pls.

I remember reading either on this thread or somewhere else that you really aren't using high heat. So, do you wait until the LED lights indicate that the heat is at low, medium...?
No it doesn't take high heat to straighten my hair at all.
Because I have fine hair, I prep it very well before straightening and the combo of products I use.
So my hair requires the LED reading of "Medium-Low" to get my hair silky straight.
And your hair looks pretty both ways, but the comb method is more stressful on the hair strands and more likely to cause breakage.

I thought I saw a video on it but can't find it so maybe I'm imagining things (I've been looking at too many over the past several weeks) I did however find her step by step:

Tension Only Blow Dry Method:
My friend is a hair dresser on a soap opera, and he taught me that this is best way to blow dry my type of hair with the least damaging effect. After I detangle, I stretch my hair out and as I blow dry I move the dryer up&down my hair as if I'm combing it. This way my hair will dry in a downward direction instead of outward. (I start at the roots and go all the way down to the ends) This creates smooth stretched out hair hanging in the direction I need it to for when I press it out. As I'm finishing up drying each section, I put my dryer on cool, so my hair cuticle will lay down smoothly and close up completely. This drying method lifts the roots up which creates more body in the hair.
As you dry be sure to keep a taut grip on the hair, so you get maximum stretch of the hair. From my experience this the least damaging way to blow dry and stretch the hair out.

Hope this helps!

Hey PinkSkates is your slide show of your hair progress working? It never works for me..
My slide show works fine. You click on the link from my "photo gallery" page. Then the link takes you to my Windows Live page. But I have had to password protect my photos.
You need my user name and password to view it.
Thanks for visiting with me.

Ok, Pinkskates I have been waiting for this. How can I get the password & username. Can I join the club : ) ?

Ok, Pinkskates I have been waiting for this. How can I get the password & username. Can I join the club : ) ?

Aloha chica,
I will PM you my user name and password to my photo gallery.
My webzine is being redesigned and reformatted so my viewers can sign up to be members. I will put up a message to let my viewers know right before the change-over happens.
I look forward to you being a new member.:yep:

Thanks for the response Pinkskates! I've been sitting here putting my username and password! :lachen: Thanks for the clarification. May I have your password as well?

I just want to join in and say that I tried the tension method this weekend and it worked well for me.

I used my Elchim Da Vinci dryer (couldn’t find the concentrator nozzle so I just kept the comb attachment on since they’re shaped the same with the vent in the middle), Sedu to straighten, and flexirods for curl. It was a pretty quick and painless way to blowdry my hair without a comb.

1. I used Joico Silk Results poo and conditioner
2. Detangled with Joico Leave-in Detangler
3. Joico Silk Results Thermal Spray all over and Chi Silk Infusion for each section I blowdried
4. Elucence Silk Hydrating Elixir on each section I flatironed

I didn’t have any stuck together or frizzy wild ends either when I blowdried, I was pretty shocked! My edges weren’t the straightest but I just use my scarf for that. I also used Aveda Phomollient when I put the flexirods in. Next time I might try my Curlformers and maybe even forgo the flat iron (since I’m not wearing it straight down anyway) and just try the curls on the blowdried hair.

I just want to join in and say that I tried the tension method this weekend and it worked well for me.

I used my Elchim Da Vinci dryer (couldn’t find the concentrator nozzle so I just kept the comb attachment on since they’re shaped the same with the vent in the middle), Sedu to straighten, and flexirods for curl. It was a pretty quick and painless way to blowdry my hair without a comb.

1. I used Joico Silk Results poo and conditioner
2. Detangled with Joico Leave-in Detangler
3. Joico Silk Results Thermal Spray all over and Chi Silk Infusion for each section I blowdried
4. Elucence Silk Hydrating Elixir on each section I flatironed

I didn’t have any stuck together or frizzy wild ends either when I blowdried, I was pretty shocked! My edges weren’t the straightest but I just use my scarf for that. I also used Aveda Phomollient when I put the flexirods in. Next time I might try my Curlformers and maybe even forgo the flat iron (since I’m not wearing it straight down anyway) and just try the curls on the blowdried hair.
Wow...it sounds like your hair came out pretty; would love to see a picture.
Also when I want my edges super straight, I apply a dab of EVCO with my hair tooth brush before putting on my scarf.

Hi ladies,
So, I'm here to see if anyone can tell me what to do about my little problem. So, I'm a natural that flat irons maybe every week. I normally have scalp issues which is why I try to make sure it is clean. (I scratch alot) I workout too which causes me to wash my straight hair earlier than I plan on it. On to the problem...

Now where I have scratch, specifically my hair line is dry and white and flaking. What do I do now? I have not flat ironed since last Wednesday. I washed yesterday and just let it air dry and moisturized. Didn't change. Did it again today, twice. Didn't change.

Help please.

-PK

Hi ladies,
So, I'm here to see if anyone can tell me what to do about my little problem. So, I'm a natural that flat irons maybe every week. I normally have scalp issues which is why I try to make sure it is clean. (I scratch alot) I workout too which causes me to wash my straight hair earlier than I plan on it. On to the problem...

Now where I have scratch, specifically my hair line is dry and white and flaking. What do I do now? I have not flat ironed since last Wednesday. I washed yesterday and just let it air dry and moisturized. Didn't change. Did it again today, twice. Didn't change.

Help please.

-PK
First you have to determine what is causing the dry, itchy scalp and then fix the problem. It could be due to the excessive cold winter weather, a skin condition like psoriasis or seborrheic dermatitis. You may need a pH balanced shampoo, it could be an allergic reaction to your styling products, your face cleanser could be drying out your hair line, etc...
If this is an ongoing problem, you really need to see a dermatologist.
In the meantime you can massage warm olive oil into your scalp and let it sit for 15 minutes before you shampoo. This will help soothe your dry itchy scalp.

First you have to determine what is causing the dry, itchy scalp and then fix the problem. It could be due to the excessive cold winter weather, a skin condition like psoriasis or seborrheic dermatitis. You may need a pH balanced shampoo, it could be an allergic reaction to your styling products, your face cleanser could be drying out your hair line, etc...
If this is an ongoing problem, you really need to see a dermatologist.
In the meantime you can massage warm olive oil into your scalp and let it sit for 15 minutes before you shampoo. This will help soothe your dry itchy scalp.

Thank You,
I am going to work my way through your list and see what works.

-PK

This method worked really well for me. My hair is moisturized, straight, and I can wear a bun now!

Hey PrincessKia do you have hard water? This is the first time I've EVER had dandruff and an itchy scalp with flakes because I now go to college in a hard water area. I moved from a very soft water area to a hard water area, and the adjustment has been hard on my hair and even harder on my scalp.

Thank you so much..lurking fan,here. :)
I agree this really should be a sticky
I have had my hair blown dry the tension method for years actually
the Dominican salons..typically blow dry it this way..they blow out dry in exactly the way described...close to the the root the dryer moving back and forth as the hair is stretched
taut.. but I always seemed to lose hair... :(
I've sacrficed having straightened hair..... it's great to have the length...
but it's been a hassle..so my hair down is more wide than ..actually down

I am one of those people that gets SO impatient with my hair.. I just want to cut!
lol ....not in a good way and then...I'm tempted ....to go back to the salons
but I always seem to have such a hard time ...as a natural.....I always wind up with two or three people six pair of hands helpless in my hair

last time I was at Harlem's Manes (and they did NOT use the tension method) and the stylist was totally overwhelmed and took it out on me

would really really love to do it myself ..It takes
..f....or....e...v..e..rbut I watched your you tube..you make it look so easy
I will try again...also would love to join the fokti viewing..of your hair journals
you are VERY VERY inspriational to a natural like me who loves being
natural but struggles with nuts and bolts of straightening.
Thanks PinkSkates

Last edited:
Thank you so much..lurking fan,here. :)
I agree this really should be a sticky
I have had my hair blown dry the tension method for years actually
the Dominican salons..typically blow dry it this way..they blow out dry in exactly the way described...close to the the root the dryer moving back and forth as the hair is stretched
taut.. but I always seemed to lose hair... :(
I've sacrficed having straightened hair..... it's great to have the length...
but it's been a hassle..so my hair down is more wide than ..actually down

I am one of those people that gets SO impatient with my hair.. I just want to cut!
lol ....not in a good way and then...I'm tempted ....to go back to the salons
but I always seem to have such a hard time ...as a natural.....I always wind up with two or three people six pair of hands helpless in my hair

last time I was at Harlem's Manes (and they did NOT use the tension method) and the stylist was totally overwhelmed and took it out on me

would really really love to do it myself ..It takes
..f....or....e...v..e..rbut I watched your you tube..you make it look so easy
I will try again...also would love to join the fokti viewing..of your hair journals
you are VERY VERY inspriational to a natural like me who loves being
natural but struggles with nuts and bolts of straightening.
Thanks PinkSkates
You're welcome Kayte and thanks for this great post. When I first began straightening my natural hair 10 years ago...I struggled like crazy. :spinning:
I lost lots of hair and burnt sections of hair out.:wallbash: But I was determined to become a complete DIY'er in the hair care arena.
Learning how to take care of my hair type, finding the right combination of products, perfecting my heat straightening technique, and developing my hair care regimen did not happen over night. But it all came together finally and my hair has flourished. And I'm thankful that I don't have to depend on stylist.
Just keep trying and you have to be patient when doing your own hair especially the straightening part. So keep trying!

Back