Naturals/Transitioners that do NOT abuse heat: How often do you use direct heat?

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
Naturals/Transitioners that do NOT abuse heat: How often do you use direct heat? ETA

I am wanting to know how often you ladies straighten and to hear if it's affected your hair in a negative way. I don't plan on straightening often, just trying to get ideas as to how often I may be able to get away with straightening my hair. I am currently doing it only every 3 or 4 mths if at all.

ETA: Abuse to me is using direct heat 1-4x or more weekly, or 4x or more monthly.

Last edited:

India*32

Check out Youtubes "SisterWithRealHair" She has many videos explaining her hair straightening process.

India

getoffmylawn

Maybe once every month or two. I don't really have a set amount, I just do it when I feel like it. If I iron more than once a month I'll have terrible split, crunchy ends and eventually the whole shaft will be permanently straightened after 3-4 months of continuous ironing.

Charla

Check out Youtubes "SisterWithRealHair" She has many videos explaining her hair straightening process.

India

I don't need tips on HOW to straighten. I'm excellent at flat ironing my hair. That wasn't my question but thanks I guess.

If you do check her out, keep in mind that she states in her reply comments to her viewers that she does not use a heat protectant, so basically I think that makes her a heat trained/training natural. And of course, being this forum, there is a thread about her.

I use heat 2x yearly with a heat protectant before the blow drying, which is done on cool, and I apply a second heat protectant before the flat iron. I get total reversion...way too fast, but I'm grateful it reverts! No splits or breakage.

lamaria211

Ive only used heat once this year I blow dried for my labor n delivery in case they made me take my wig off!

KurlyNinja

I've only used heat 2x this year so far. I guess that first time doesnt count though since it was the end of December, but whatever. I probably wont flat iron again until December. So thats about 2-3x a year for me. And I'm pretty satisfied with that.

But I've come a loooooong way. Before I found LHCF I was flat ironing everyday sometimes more than once a day.

MsDee14

I'm transitioning and haven't used heat since Dec. 30th.
I plan to go the whole transition(2 years) heat free. I guess I can't help..sorry!

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
MissMusic said:
I am transitioning..I use heat every 3 months, either blow dry or flat iron or both.

Yeah this sounds like how I normally do mine. I can never get my hair straight with a blow dryer alone

FoxxyLocs

I blow dry more often than I flat iron. Blow dry 1-2x/mo. Flat iron 3-4x/yr. I just started using heat last year. Before that I went about 7 years without any heat at all.

Sent from my HTC Evo

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
I use blow dryer and flat iron about 3x a year. My goal is 2, no more than 4.

The most I have used heat is 6x in one year. That was too much for me.

maxineshaw

Probably once a year if that. I let my mother press my hair with a hot comb on the stove. I wish I had a picture because I looked so good. I'm going to start using a blow dryer three times a year for when I trim my ends.

SoopremeBeing

Are we including blow drying as well? If so, then...

-If I am wearing my natural hair(no braids or weaves), then I say once a week. I let my hair air dry for about an hour, then I blow dry on low for 5 minutes.

-If I am wearing braids or extensions, then it's once every 2 months. I wash bi-weekly and air dry.

I haven't flat ironed my hair since January. Too much heat damage, so I have been using this year to bring my hair back to normal. I probably won't flat iron until December when I do my length check.

grownwomanaz

Love and Harmony
I don't straighten from May-Oct and maybe once a month or every other month during the cooler months. I haven't blow dryed in years. I rollerset then flat iron when I do straighten.

kandake

I straighten my hair about 4 times a year. Earlier this year I incurred heat damage. The heat was a tad bit too high. I haven't had any problems since then.

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
I get my hair blowdred every 1-2 months before getting my hair cornrowed.
Light dustings/trims every 3 months

Leslie_C

Do you ladies straighten your hair when you get it trimmed?

Im transitioning and the last time I used heat was mid May when I did a mini chop. Ill probably do it mid November 4 a six month progress trim. I just did a dusting the other day, but didnt straighten for that.

When Im natural I may wear my hair pressed a few times a year, but Im not opposed to "out" styles done on blow dried hair (tension method) for less shrinkage/more length.

So far Ive only used heat between installs. I lightly blow dry my hair before I have it braided.

I haven't used heat since my last relaxer Dec. 13. I may blowdry it before I have kinky twists put in next month. The braider will likely have a rough time otherwise. Lol.

KurlyNinja

Do you ladies straighten your hair when you get it trimmed?

Im transitioning and the last time I used heat was mid May when I did a mini chop. Ill probably do it mid November 4 a six month progress trim. I just did a dusting the other day, but didnt straighten for that.

When Im natural I may wear my hair pressed a few times a year, but Im not opposed to "out" styles done on blow dried hair (tension method) for less shrinkage/more length.

Scissors only come near my hair when it I flat iron it. Other wise I don't trim. I feel like trims are needed for aesthetic purposes and when my hair is curly you can't see that my hair is not completely blunt.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Last month I blow dried every week and flat ironed 2 of those time. Found my hair likes to be semi straight because I'm ssk prone. I use heat protectant and low heat. I flat iron at 150oF. Just enough so the ends don't curl and knot. No damage. It still reverts a little too easy. Lol

Last 2 weeks its been pure wash and goes and its showing for some ssk. Which is why minimal heat.

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
I've been natural nearly 6 years, and so far I've used direct heat 2x. I may use heat 4x a year.

constance

Blow dry on cool-warm 3x a yr. Straighten with curling iron 2-3 times a year. I'm cutting back to blowing dry 1-2 times a year and straightening 1x.