What do you consider ...

A_Christian

I haven't had direct heat applied to my hair in 10 months so my opinion may be a little biased :laugh: but I would say using it more than once every two weeks might cause more split ends etc... When I was still using a lot of direct heat my stylist would always sit me under the hooded dryer and then barely blow dry my hair for about a minute then bump the ends under with a curling iron every two weeks and my hair was still healthy and getting longer.

MizAvalon

I used direct heat only 2 times last year. But I admit even when I was using it a lot more, every few weeks or so, it was still ok. But I prefer not using it. My hair is so healthy that when I do actually use heat it looks gorgeous.

ETA: When I reach my goal of waist length in another year or so, I will probably start using heat a little more. My way of thinking, "Oh I just used heat 3 months ago, so I have to wait!" is a little ridiculous. :lol:

Last edited:

Peachtree

AudraChanell said:
too much direct heat for your hair? Or how often do you use direct heat?

I consider ~ANY~ direct heat far too much heat for my hair.
I haven't used direct heat in 2.5 yrs :grin:

Porsche19

I'm on a no direct heat until July personal challenge.

For me, the less heat, direct or indirect that I use, the better.

Isis

I haven't used any heat in 1.5 years. Direct heat is what got me in trouble in the first place before LHCF and I do not desire to repeat that.

I understand that some of the ladies here can safely use direct heat on their hair by using it once in a while.

candibaby

For me, too much direct heat is anything more than twice a month. I use direct heat on my hair (flat iron) once a month.

karezone

I consider a curling iron more than 3 times without a wash and deep conditioner too much heat. Blow drying if hair is not wet or damp=too much heat.

kombov_dymond

I only allow myself to use heat right after a relaxer and once again before I touch up. I haven't used a dryer in about 10 years. I'm afraid that if I start using heat again that I'll get hooked again.

I don't even trust the ceramic irons. Yes, I'm obsessed! :yep:

Chaya

What do you consider direct heat? I sit under a hooded dryer ( and NOT on the cool setting) about 2x/week. My hair continues to thrive this way. There are other people on this board who blowdry their hair once week and flat iron their hair, and their hair is bra strap length or longer. So I think it depends on you personal hair. If I blowdried my hair hair and curled it every week, it would be extremely dry and breaking ( at least thats how it was when I was wearing color in my hair).
I would say more than once a week of blowdryer/flat iron/curling iron use might be too much.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I think too much direct heat is using any type of heating appliance more than once a week.

To me, I think flat irons/curling irons are more damaging than blow dryers/hooded dryers.

I was on the no heat challenge for 4 months and it's definitely helped my hair thicken up, but I just couldn't deal with my hair looking the way it did from airdrying. I would continue to do airdried rollersets but I have too much new growth to rollerset my hair anymore. So now, I'm starting back with blowdrying and rolling my hair when its dry with oils.