Naturals who have never used heat?

Neala21

Where are you?

My goal is to not use heat ever or very very very rare occasion since I know there are alternatives (rollersetting & wrapping and various other styles)

Why did you make that choice to not use heat?
Have you noticed better retention?
What's your hair type?
What's your regiment?

Also, for those that go to the salon what styles do you opt for when you go?

Do you find that you have to trim or dust less?
Do you have knots often?

I ask these questions as last time i got frustrated so i relaxed or opted for heat and had to trim often, often got knots due to my texture. But i wonder if i was the cause in some of my frustrations. :perplexed

I'm curious as I've seen naturals who use heat and those that don't. My thing is preserving my curls (little to no damage) and try to maximize growth but I often wonder can certain types get away with it. I used to think that I needed heat but this time around I'm thinking things differently. :rolleyes:

barbeth2001

Sep 29th would make it 2 yrs since i last used heat on my hair. Currently a full APL and been natural for 2 yrs. Well sept 29th 2007 was the date of my last relaxer and I still have nightmares of the beautician frying my hair with a hot comb after putting relaxer on it! Whew! I am just too scared to damage all my hardwork and the truth is that I see heat as damage, no matter how many protectants I put on my hair before using heat. If I crave straight hair that bad, I simple go to the beauty store and buy some fake straight hair weave, use it for a couple of weeks and dumb it! Avoid heat as much as possible.

jupitermoon

Why did you make that choice to not use heat? I read about heat damage during my transition and how heat can damage hair and make hair appear permanently straightened in certain parts. I also read about excessive heat contributing to split ends.

Have you noticed better retention? I think so. My hair is about the longest it has ever been. I struggled to maintain midback to bsl hair when I constantly straightned my hair.

What's your hair type? 3c/b mix

What's your regiment? I co wash as much as daily or as little as once or twice a week using Aussie Moist or Hello Hydration conditioner as a leave in. I finger comb in the shower under running water with my hair full of conditioner and very rarely use a comb or brush. I let my hair air dry in one braid or clipped up. Then, I take it down. Lately, I've been trying to keep my hair up as much as possible.

Also, for those that go to the salon what styles do you opt for when you go? I only go to the salon once or twice a year. I got a wash and go the last time I went this past May. I go to the salon only for trims.

Do you find that you have to trim or dust less? Yes. I get only 2-3 inches trimmed off a year. When I kept my hair straight I would get 1 inch taken off every two months which added up to about 6 inches a year.

Do you have knots often? No. Every once in a while I may find a bunch of shed hairs attached to the very end of one strand of hair. I find that excess knots are caused by hair dryness and going too long without combing. I keep my hair moisturized and try not to go too long without co washing so I do not have this problem.

PinkSkates

Sep 29th would make it 2 yrs since i last used heat on my hair. Currently a full APL and been natural for 2 yrs. Well sept 29th 2007 was the date of my last relaxer and I still have nightmares of the beautician frying my hair with a hot comb after putting relaxer on it! Whew! I am just too scared to damage all my hardwork and the truth is that I see heat as damage, no matter how many protectants I put on my hair before using heat. If I crave straight hair that bad, I simple go to the beauty store and buy some fake straight hair weave, use it for a couple of weeks and dumb it! Avoid heat as much as possible.

The human you allowed to have control of your head damaged your hair due to their negligence, lack of skills and lack of healthy hair care knowledge, not the heat.
I have been using heat to straighten my natural type 4 hair for years; and my hair is almost full waist length. And my hair is the healthiest its ever been in my adult life!
It's all about knowledge and skills!

CurlyGirl1996

Because I am still transitioning I decided not to use any heat on my hair until I an fully natural.

not sure

What's your hair type?
maybe 4a/b ?

What's your regiment?
I really don't have one yet

Also, for those that go to the salon what styles do you opt for when you go?
after washing my hair my stylist puts DE foam in and puts in a ponytail...wet

a little

Do you have knots often?
yes I do

Nonie

Can I answer even though I recently used heat, as in April 2009? Prior to April, I last used heat in 2006 but after restarting my journey in Feb 2007 after a BC, I was just determined not to take any chances with damaging my hair; so I didn't think I'd press my hair in a loooong time.

I don't use heat often so I can't really comment on whether retention was better without heat since I don't have a "frequent heat period" whose retention I can compare with. I did go heat crazy for about a week in 2004, which wasn't long enough to see any growth or gauge retention.

My hair is 4B.

My regimen: I wash/condition/ACV rinse twice a week (one of those includes a DC) and baggy nightly. I don't use products.

I don't go to the salon.

My ideal plan is to dust every 6-8 weeks but I get lazy and don't adhere to that. When I do, my hair seems to do so well. :ohwell: I don't trim/dust because I have to; I do it because I believe in it.

I don't get knots because I don't wear my hair out much.

My curls have done pretty well with my minimal heat. In April I used heat protectants for the first time and had the best press ever. I no longer have qualms about heat damage. I believe I just discovered a sure way of avoiding heat damage. My curls returned as soon as I wet my hair. :yay:

Last edited:

ResultsMayVary

Where are you?
I've been natural for 1 year (if counting from BC, 1 year and 6 months if counting from last relaxer) and I am a few inches from full apl

I just don't have a need for it, since I keep my hair in protective styles (non-stop), and plan on doing this for 2 or 3 years

I believe I am retaining well, I haven't used heat every since I bc'ed so I have nothing to compare it with, but I haven't had any set backs or excessive breaking

What's your hair type?
3c/4a

What's your regimen?
Co-wash daily, leave in the conditioner, seal with castor oil, and DC/Protein treatment twice a week

All in all, I do believe my lack of heat has helped me retain the most possible, but also other factors could be considered, (little manipulation with protective styles, dc'ing, and regular protein treatments)
:yep:

Last edited:

La Colocha

Why you make that choice not to use heat?- I hardly ever used heat even when relaxed, i just never really wanted to use it. And im not at all now that im natural.

Have you noticed retention?- I don't really keep track of my hair growth, but i don't lose alot of hair when manipulating.

What's your hair type?- 4a i have been natural for a year and 3 months.

What's your regimen- I wash, condition, and dc 1x a week, clarify 1x a month and moisturize every other day or every 3 days.

Do you find that you have to trim or dust less? I trim my ends every 6 to 8 months or only when i feel they need it.

Do you have knots often?- Sometimes i will see a few single strand knots but they don't bother me. I usually keep my hair plaited and don't wear my hair out often.

JustKiya

Why did you make that choice to not use heat? Because I have very fine, very dry hair, and I believe that my hair will be damaged by any heat use. While PinkSkates does make a good point - I'm personally not interested in gaining the needed knowledge and skills to keep my hair healthy with heat at the expense of my hair. All it takes is one screw up to ruin the progress I have made - and it'll take a lot more than just one time of doing it to know what my hair can handle and to gain the knowledge and skills needed to do it 'right'. :nono:

Have you noticed better retention? I've never used heat, so I don't really have anything to compare it to.

What's your hair type? 4a/b

What's your regimen? I DC either weekly or every other week, I'm silicone/mineral oil free, I wash with ayurvedic herbs, I occasionally henna, I consistently protective style.

Do you find that you have to trim or dust less? I haven't trimmed my hair in well over two years.

Do you have knots often? I still get some single strand knots - but that's a side effect of having curly hair. I rarely get any multistrand knots, and when I do, there is a shed hair in the mix causing issues.

Fine 4s

Why did you make that choice to not use heat? Through years of observation, I determined that heat was the major reason behind my inability to retain length. I did the extreme and cut out the usage of heat completely. I started caring for my hair in 11-2006.

Have you noticed better retention? Absolutely!

What's your hair type? 4b.

What's your regiment? No regimen to speak of but PS styles is a MUST for me. DC is not a priority for me lately but it does help.

Also, for those that go to the salon what styles do you opt for when you go? I've been to the salon twice; in 2008 for a trim and 2009 for another trim. I get a light blow dry ONLY (as seen in my siggie).

Do you find that you have to trim or dust less? Since I've been caring for my hair, I 'search and destroy' more. However, since the laziness set in, I haven't been walking around with my scissors anymore (it was that bad).

Do you have knots often? Since I'm mostly in braids, twists or some messy, untangled bun AND haven't been washing as often as I used to, I only notice them when I untangle my hair, maybe 3-4 knots? Nothing crazy.

jennboo

I like my hair textured, not stick straight. I also do not want to lose my curl pattern and ability to do full twists on my own hair. When i was natural in middle/high school, i would get my hair washed, conditioned, blow dried, pressed, and curled every two weeks. Did this for approx. 2.5 years. My hair texture was totally obliterated. It became a mass of kinky-straight frizz (which i didn't like. It also became thinner and my twists looked like, as another poster here described so eloquently "shoe strings on crack")

My hair grew well even with the extreme heat usage in my teens. I didn't have excessive breakage or shedding. It just ravaged my hair texture.

What's your hair type?
4b

What's your regiment?
Wash with a gentle shampoo, condition, and twist with a creme. At night, i pin the twists down so thet they can stay neat and then i throw on a scarf. In the mornings i spritz my hair with water, apply oil, fluff and i'm out the door.

Last edited:

Fine 4s

My curls have done pretty well with my minimal heat. In April I used heat protectants for the first time and had the best press ever. I no longer have qualms about heat damage. I believe I just discovered a sure way of avoiding heat damage. My curls returned as soon as I wet my hair. :yay:[/QUOTE]

Nonie, what is the way gurl, what is the WAY!!!!!!!!?????

Fine 4s

Why did you make that choice to not use heat? I read about heat damage during my transition and how heat can damage hair and make hair appear permanently straightened in certain parts. I also read about excessive heat contributing to split ends.

Have you noticed better retention? I think so. My hair is about the longest it has ever been. I struggled to maintain midback to bsl hair when I constantly straightned my hair.

What's your hair type? 3c/b mix

What's your regiment? I co wash as much as daily or as little as once or twice a week using Aussie Moist or Hello Hydration conditioner as a leave in. I finger comb in the shower under running water with my hair full of conditioner and very rarely use a comb or brush. I let my hair air dry in one braid or clipped up. Then, I take it down. Lately, I've been trying to keep my hair up as much as possible.

Also, for those that go to the salon what styles do you opt for when you go? I only go to the salon once or twice a year. I got a wash and go the last time I went this past May. I go to the salon only for trims.

Do you find that you have to trim or dust less? Yes. I get only 2-3 inches trimmed off a year. When I kept my hair straight I would get 1 inch taken off every two months which added up to about 6 inches a year.

Do you have knots often? No. Every once in a while I may find a bunch of shed hairs attached to the very end of one strand of hair. I find that excess knots are caused by hair dryness and going too long without combing. I keep my hair moisturized and try not to go too long without co washing so I do not have this problem.

Celina,

You hair is.....[no words]

Pooks

Great post OP - I'm trying to stay away from heat as long as possible as I believe it is the cause of many split ends and mid-shaft splits I am finding every time I dust my hair, so I'm getting great motivation from the answers in this thread.

Nonie said:
My curls have done pretty well with my minimal heat. In April I used heat protectants for the first time and had the best press ever. I no longer have qualms about heat damage. I believe I just discovered a sure way of avoiding heat damage. My curls returned as soon as I wet my hair. :yay:

Also Nonie, while you're tellin us the way, do you have any pics of said wonderful press in April....?? :drunk:

OT: Fine 4s, love your new siggy your hair is :lick:, you are a great testimony to minimal heat usage!

Last edited:

fyb87

Why did you make that choice to not use heat? Because I'm wearing my hair in its natural state and it is not needed.

Have you noticed better retention? Not sure. Whenever, I wear my hair curly it grows faster or maybe I just think that because I can't see the length because of the shrinkage.

What's your hair type? 3c/b

What's your regimen? Co-wash once or twice a week, Deep Condition weekly, Cassia/Henna Monthly and Moisturize once a week.

Also, for those that go to the salon what styles do you opt for when you go? I've been to a salon once since 2002. That time I got a WnG!

Do you find that you have to trim or dust less? I can't say. When I was using heat I wore my hair straight which called for a lot of manipulation which led to split-ends and trims/cuts. Now I wear my hair in its natural state which is hardly any manipulation. I've been wearing it like that for 6 months and I don't have one split-end! :grin:

Do you have knots often? Very very rarily. Only time I usually get them is when I am not paying attention if I'm detangling dry hair or when I'm being heavy handed.

Last edited:

discodumpling

Why did you make that choice to not use heat? I use heat 1-2X per year. My last flat iron was in February. My hair is very fine I don't want to risk heat damage. Howvere with time my knowledge grows & I am no longer afraid because I know the proper straightening techniques for my hair.

Have you noticed better retention? I don't know. I have not been a frequent heat user so I have nothing to compare my current practise to.

What's your hair type? Fairy fine & nappy.

What's your regiment? Cowash any where from daily to weekly. Occasional shampoo. DC 1-2X per week...depends on my moisture level and what hairdo i'm rocking.

Also, for those that go to the salon what styles do you opt for when you go? I'm self styled.

Do you find that you have to trim or dust less? I'm a non trimmer & haven't dusted in a long time.

Do you have knots often? Occasionally when my hair is dry or lacks moisture I will see knots; not enough to cause concern.

Nonie

:rofl: Gosh, the way I put that it sounded like I had a magic formula. I'm sorry to get you all excited but I just discovered what everyone else knew: protectants.

Background info, I have never had my hair not revert when I pressed it in the past. Perhaps wet-to-dry presses cooled down my flat-iron, because I always had reversion. What I could never understand was the fact that whenever I pressed my hair, there was that "someone's pressing her hair" smell. During the press, and even after (like my scarf would smell that way). And then again when I washed my hair.

The reason I feel certain that I have found a way that is sure to prevent damage isn't just because my hair reverted immediately on getting wet, but more certainly because there was NO "someone's pressing her hair" smell. Not on the iron or in my hair or in the air. And even when I wet my hair, all I smelled was shampoo. Ladies, I still feel my heart leap when I remember this coz NEVER in my many years of living had I witnessed this when hair was being flat ironed anywhere by anyone. My experience with using protectants has made all fear of heat go out the window. (I used an iron at 446 degrees Fahrenheit, BTW).

My heat prep included conditioning with CHI Infra Thermal Treatment (or whatever it's called; I'll be back with the real names) coating my hair as if trying to relax it, ie working on small section and making sure every strand was well coated. After rinsing my hair, I stretched using Curlformers by putting them in my hair when it was wet and airdrying (so no heat in this step). And then I sprayed my hair with John Frieda Frizz Ease Heat Defeat to wet it, but only wetting the section I was about to flat iron, again coating the hair very well and then flatironing it dry, before wetting the next Curlformer section. When I had wet-to-dry flat-ironed all sections with the protectant spray, I applied yet another protectant. Normally I'd just use an anti-frizz serum but this time I made sure I used the Thermal Protectant John Frieda Frizz Ease Serum. Again working on small sections and coating them well then running the iron through. I only had to run the iron ONCE for the wet-to-dry and once for the serum press.

Hair went from this to this. And I didn't have frizzing for the 3 days I had the press. This was just before the wash, this was my hair reverting immediately after I put shampoo on. And then here is my hair after I rinsed it out. :grin:

Did I mention that all I could smell was nothing (when I wet my hair) then just shampoo and conditioner? THRILLED doesn't even start to describe my ecstatic butt that day.

Last edited:

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Fine 4s,

If you never use heat, how did you get your hair like that in your signature? It looks blowdried to me.

bludaydreamr

I started out thinking I was going to be a heat straightened natural, but the more I learned here the more I didn't want to ruin my texture. Once I BC'd I found that I preferred my hair in its natural state. There is a lot of humidity in GA, so I decided to keep my hair looking neat and protected; I keep it twisted.

I haven't had to cut my hair; I've been able to maintain it by dusting and light trims.

What's your hair type?
Fine/Medium 4a

What's your regiment?

I wash once a week with MOP C-Hydration Shampoo deep condition with Lekair Cholesterol or MOP Extreme moisture, moisturize with HS 14n1, twist with Cantu Shea Butter LI, seal with Shea Butter/Castor Oil. If I need protein I will use Aphogee 2 minute. I have decided to dust every 4 months and only trim when I have actually straightened my hair.

Also, or those that go to the salon what styles do you opt for when you go?
Braids/cornrows because I can't braid to save my life.

Yes, because in is natural state there is no need to have perfectly even ends. My younger sister has not retained as much length as I feel she should have because she has to regularly trim to maintain her ends.

Do you have knots often?
Unfortunately, IMO knots are unavoidable when you wear your hair in it's natural state a majority of the time. Again my sister has less single strands knots, but it never fails, if she wears her puff for a week she gets them too.

melodies815

Why did you make that choice to not use heat? I learned on this board how heat can add to damage and cause split ends, and I don't want either. I must add that I have used heat once in 6 months to length check - this month, actually. I don't think I will do that again for a long while, even though the idea of having my hair out and straight once in a while is appealing to me.

Have you noticed better retention? I definitely think so. My hair is growing nicely and I am not noticing ANY breakage at all...which is a first for me. It's also a lot thicker! My edges look better than they have in years.

What's your hair type? 4a/b

What's your regiment? twists and twist outs. I twists every night to avoid single strand knots, which see to be my latest concern. I wash every 3 days or so and airdry in twists with shea butter. Simple works for me so far...

Also, for those that go to the salon what styles do you opt for when you go? N/A

Do you find that you have to trim or dust less? Yes. I have only done a search and destroy once...which is even less length lost than a thorough dusting. I have no splits, and I only did the search and destroy for the SSknots.

Do you have knots often? Yes if I wear my hair in a WNG. If I airdry with Cantu Leave-in, the knots are eliminated, but I don't enjoy all that product regularly. Twists and sealing with shea butter seem to be my remedy for knots at the moment.

Any better ideas would be great!

ladytee2

I like my hair textured, not stick straight. I also do not want to lose my curl pattern and ability to do full twists on my own hair. When i was natural in middle/high school, i would get my hair washed, conditioned, blow dried, pressed, and curled every two weeks. Did this for approx. 2.5 years. My hair texture was totally obliterated. It became a mass of kinky-straight frizz (which i didn't like. It also became thinner and my twists looked like, as another poster here described so eloquently "shoe strings on crack")

My hair grew well even with the extreme heat usage in my teens. I didn't have excessive breakage or shedding. It just ravaged my hair texture.

What's your hair type?
4b

What's your regiment?
Wash with a gentle shampoo, condition, and twist with a creme. At night, i pin the twists down so thet they can stay neat and then i throw on a scarf. In the mornings i spritz my hair with water, apply oil, fluff and i'm out the door.

We must be hair twins. This is so me but I did that for longer than 2.5 years.

barbeth2001

The human you allowed to have control of your head damaged your hair due to their negligence, lack of skills and lack of healthy hair care knowledge, not the heat.
I have been using heat to straighten my natural type 4 hair for years; and my hair is almost full waist length. And my hair is the healthiest its ever been in my adult life!
It's all about knowledge and skills!

I agree she was, however, my hair doesnt get along well with heat so I stay away from it.