Naturals who shingle, what do you use?

FindingMe

I like the way shingling makes my hair behave, but I used Miss Jessie's Curly Pudding and my hair was super cute, but dried HARD AS A ROCK :perplexed and now the net day, the curls held up, but it's starting to flake.:ohwell:

What's the latest and greatest you ladies have found to shingle for max curl definition/shine but without the hardness and flaking?

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
When I was natural, I mainly used kinky curly curling custard. Since it is very expensive, I only used it on special occasions. Ecostyler gel came in as second best. Fits my budget at 5$ for 32 ounces.:yep:

FindingMe

When I was natural, I mainly used kinky curly curling custard. Since it is very expensive, I only used it on special occasions. Ecostyler gel came in as second best. Fits my budget at 5$ for 32 ounces.:yep:

That's one of my issues with Miss Jessies, too pricey. Did KCCC flake (or ecostyler?)

This curly pudding is flaking in my hair today and I followed the directions explicitly and used nothing else but that (oh, I used Curly Buttercreme this morning to moisturize like they suggested in the directions).

Vonnieluvs08

I've used KCCC and if I put a good leave-in or oil under/over it it doesn't get extra crunchy. It will flake if you use too much or if the leave-in/oil doesn't mix well with it. I can get a good 2 days maybe even 3 if I do it right and just mist it with my moisture spray or wet my hands a lil and run them over top of my hair.

There is a thread from last year about shingling with some great pics and advice. I think I have it bookmarked. If I have it I'll add it.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=345555

Last edited:

Juliagizzle

I been doing that and I didn't know it lol. Or I guess since I didn't use a dryer it was a wash n go. Either way i guess you would have to use something really moisturizing without a lot of protein or else hair will get hard. So don't use shealoe on wet hair unless you want a curly helmet :nono: Maybe try a shea and coconut oil mixture.

India*32

Suave Coconut Conditioner leaves my hair soft. It seems I have to apply twice a day along with Moroccan oil. My hair is not sticky and the Cond. is inexpensive.

India

:bdance:

FindingMe

Cantu Shea Butter leave in or Texture My Way Curl Keeper leave in.

Ooh, Semo - your curls are PRETTY! Where do you get the Texture my Way Curl Keeper Leave in?

I just tried shingling today...I don't know if I did it right. :ohwell:

I watched a vid on YouTube about making your own conditioning gel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvenOaoz1Vg And then attempted to make my own--- with basically none of the same ingredients. :lachen:

I'll post some pics in a bit. :yep:

You know I wanna see that! Hurry and post the pics- Thanks for the vid link. I feel you on the mixologist stuff...I have been experimenting too:yep::lachen:

FindingMe

Suave Coconut Conditioner leaves my hair soft. It seems I have to apply twice a day along with Moroccan oil. My hair is not sticky and the Cond. is inexpensive.

India

:bdance:

So you just use plain conditioner to shingle? I can definitely see it smoothing, but does it elongate the curls for you/hold like a gel? (That's one of the benefits I think of shingling is that it combats the shrinkage and elongates the hair)

India*32

So you just use plain conditioner to shingle? I can definitely see it smoothing, but does it elongate the curls for you/hold like a gel? (That's one of the benefits I think of shingling is that it combats the shrinkage and elongates the hair)

FindingMe

The top and back of my curls last, but the sides are so coarse nothing can make them curl or bend. I hope you find something and let me know.

India

Lucia

I like the way shingling makes my hair behave, but I used Miss Jessie's Curly Pudding and my hair was super cute, but dried HARD AS A ROCK :perplexed and now the net day, the curls held up, but it's starting to flake.:ohwell:

What's the latest and greatest you ladies have found to shingle for max curl definition/shine but without the hardness and flaking?

Oh I hated Miss Jessie's curly pudding, it dried like a helmut and it felt very heavy, honestly I'd rather just put some condish and let it frizz some then use that again, and I really tried to give it a run, the wash n go didn't work, using it to slick back a bun didn't work either and it took FOREVER to dry-I'll be fair my hair is thick.

FindingMe

Oh I hated Miss Jessie's curly pudding, it dried like a helmut and it felt very heavy, honestly I'd rather just put some condish and let it frizz some then use that again, and I really tried to give it a run, the wash n go didn't work, using it to slick back a bun didn't work either and it took FOREVER to dry-I'll be fair my hair is thick.

yep. same thing here. my hair dried SO hard (I had to sit under the dryer) and even when I blew out the roots like they suggest, it still felt hard and dry. The curls stayed overnight, but today it started flaking on my and that's where i drew the line...:wallbash:For the amount of $ these things cost, I'm really feeling like I am not getting my money's worth...

Lucia

yep. same thing here. my hair dried SO hard (I had to sit under the dryer) and even when I blew out the roots like they suggest, it still felt hard and dry. The curls stayed overnight, but today it started flaking on my and that's where i drew the line...:wallbash:For the amount of $ these things cost, I'm really feeling like I am not getting my money's worth...

No I felt, robbed, they're too pricey.

Soliel185

I think I'm going to try next with reg conditoner, or an "oil moisturizer" on wet hair (since I have so many random bottles of stuff lying about) and then seal it with serum and castor oil rather than gel.

The castor oil is REALLY heavy, the serum will help cut it, and the oil moisturizer isn't meant to dry like regular con so that will help keep it soft. Castor Oil is a softener too. :yep:

I did it once with Sunsilk leave ins and serum back when I was texlaxed, but I don't know if it's strong enough for my natural hair.

Ediese

I've shingled a few times, and love the results. I usually cowash with Hello Hydration, and then apply KCCC. I've used IC gel. It is amazing with defining my curls, but it does have a tendency to make your hair crunchy and it does flake. The KCCC also works, but it doesn't define my curls as well. It feels a little light so the curls don't get as elongated. Also, you should only use a little KCCC because it has a tendency to make your hair sticky and takes long to dry.

Shingling with IC

http://public.fotki.com/Ediese/natural-hair-journey/2nd-attempt-at-shingling/

Shingling with KCCC

http://public.fotki.com/Ediese/natural-hair-journey/3rd-attempt-at-shingling/

Soliel185

Here are the pics - My hair is like a giant cloud with crusty ends. :ohwell::lachen:
The shrinkage was reduced, but I feel like this was a bad thing in this instance. It just made the cloud bigger!

It almost looks a little matted..which I resent b/c it involved alot of combing/brushing! :rofl:

vkb247

*slowly raises hand*

I'm not natural. But I recently fell back in love with ecostyler gel. The clear or brown types work best for me and the last two times I used it I have blow dried my hair on cool-medium and got great defined curls that lasted for a week until my next cowash. All I had to do was use a little water in the morning and my curls stayed and got better because it was a little crunchy at first and the water made it soften.

Today I washed my hair and used diluted V05 as a leave in in the shower. I only had a little brown Ecostyler (about a 1/3 of the small jar) so I added water to it and made twice as much. Then I added about 1 tbsp of vco, 1.5 tbsp of evoo, and 2 tbsp of this

The mix stayed nice and gelly, no clumps, but the gel turned a caramel color and was opaque - just like a pudding. Then I blow dried. I will post pics when I get home. Ingredients for the leave in are in my fotki.

ETA: I fingercomb it in.

Last edited:

NerdSauce

Fantasia IC is personally too hard for me... I love using Lustrasilk Shea Mango :] I dont even bother to shingle with KCCC anymore, because the Lustrasilk has the added benefit of not being sticky, and it smells sooo good.