Naturals who shingle, what do you use?

jazzzmoods

I have used Paul Mitchel FOAMING POMADE with great success.......My hair is only about 3 inches long but I love the results.

I tried gel, gel mixed with oil, more gels, creme gels and the results were inconsistent and I never knew what my hair would end up looking like. The PM foaming pomade works every time.

SEMO

Ooh, Semo - your curls are PRETTY! Where do you get the Texture my Way Curl Keeper Leave in?

You know I wanna see that! Hurry and post the pics- Thanks for the vid link. I feel you on the mixologist stuff...I have been experimenting too:yep::lachen:

Thank you for the compliment. :) I get the Texture My Way Curl Keeper from the local beauty supply store (not Sally's--the one that caters to African Americans). But I think it's also available online somewhere for purchase too.

It's moisturizing but also gives a little bit of hold like a weak gel. However your curls look when you put that product on your hair is how they stay looking.

Transformer

I have used Paul Mitchel FOAMING POMADE with great success.......My hair is only about 3 inches long but I love the results.

I tried gel, gel mixed with oil, more gels, creme gels and the results were inconsistent and I never knew what my hair would end up looking like. The PM foaming pomade works every time.

PM Foaming pomade does work great for shingling. When I was originally introduced to wash-n-gos this is what the hairdresser recommended and I used for 3 years. Then I started thinking I could find something better. I love Qhemet's Olive Oil and Honey for it's moisturizing properties. So I'm going to try applying the pomade first and then a bit of the Qhemet.

tocktick

Shingling seems like the curlisto method because the results look similar. I use IC Fantasia gel (and water) when I do this. There are vids of youtube (like ladykpnyc) of people who skip the curlisto products and just use gel.

Last edited:

vkb247

^^^ Shingling is actually a Miss Jessie's procedure and uses a denman brush or a comb to distribute and a dryer to set.

The Curlisto method is a a different technique because because it is based on fingercombing. Not to mention the Curlisto uses 50-11 products and Miss Jessie's uses one, maybe two.

But they produce similar result most and on the boards we tend to use the term for the look we get instead of the method used to get it.

FindingMe

I think I'm going to try next with reg conditoner, or an "oil moisturizer" on wet hair (since I have so many random bottles of stuff lying about) and then seal it with serum and castor oil rather than gel.

The castor oil is REALLY heavy, the serum will help cut it, and the oil moisturizer isn't meant to dry like regular con so that will help keep it soft. Castor Oil is a softener too. :yep:

I did it once with Sunsilk leave ins and serum back when I was texlaxed, but I don't know if it's strong enough for my natural hair.

I tried with just the conditioner and my hair curled up so tight:perplexed, it was actually tighter than a WnG, which i think defeats the purpose of shingling...:ohwell: It did make my hair soft and fluffy, though. I think this will work better when we have more length...

I've shingled a few times, and love the results. I usually cowash with Hello Hydration, and then apply KCCC. I've used IC gel. It is amazing with defining my curls, but it does have a tendency to make your hair crunchy and it does flake. The KCCC also works, but it doesn't define my curls as well. It feels a little light so the curls don't get as elongated. Also, you should only use a little KCCC because it has a tendency to make your hair sticky and takes long to dry.

Shingling with IC

http://public.fotki.com/Ediese/natural-hair-journey/2nd-attempt-at-shingling/

Shingling with KCCC

http://public.fotki.com/Ediese/natural-hair-journey/3rd-attempt-at-shingling/

OOOOOhhhh, I LOVE the KCCC results!:lick: Its funny that that's the one you said was whacktastic!:lachen: Do you think it would make a diff if you sat under the dryer to let it dry (so no stickiness and wetness all day?)

FindingMe

Sorry I have so many questions, ya'll!:look:

I've used KCCC and if I put a good leave-in or oil under/over it it doesn't get extra crunchy. It will flake if you use too much or if the leave-in/oil doesn't mix well with it. I can get a good 2 days maybe even 3 if I do it right and just mist it with my moisture spray or wet my hands a lil and run them over top of my hair.

There is a thread from last year about shingling with some great pics and advice. I think I have it bookmarked. If I have it I'll add it.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=345555

oooh, GREAT thread and the pics in it were to die for....I wonder did folks have any issues with flaking? My results with the Curly Pudding LOOKED SO cute, but my hair was dry and it flaked after a couple of days. It elongated and defined my hair, but daggg on the crustiness...:ohwell:

Pics of my hair here

OOOh, NICE! Was it hard? Did it flake?

PM Foaming pomade does work great for shingling. When I was originally introduced to wash-n-gos this is what the hairdresser recommended and I used for 3 years. Then I started thinking I could find something better. I love Qhemet's Olive Oil and Honey for it's moisturizing properties. So I'm going to try applying the pomade first and then a bit of the Qhemet.

Hmmmm. Did it make your hair hard or dry it out after a few days?

FindingMe

Here are the pics - My hair is like a giant cloud with crusty ends. :ohwell::lachen:
The shrinkage was reduced, but I feel like this was a bad thing in this instance. It just made the cloud bigger!

It almost looks a little matted..which I resent b/c it involved alot of combing/brushing! :rofl:

I think it's a hot look and it elongated your hair:yep:, but I would have expected more definition/control from shingling. I think we gonna have to go to the hard core gels if we want to get the controlled look:lachen:

tocktick

^^^ Shingling is actually a Miss Jessie's procedure and uses a denman brush or a comb to distribute and a dryer to set.

The Curlisto method is a a different technique because because it is based on fingercombing. Not to mention the Curlisto uses 50-11 products and Miss Jessie's uses one, maybe two.

But they produce similar result most and on the boards we tend to use the term for the look we get instead of the method used to get it.

I'm actually aware of what shingling is. I just mentioned the Curlisto method because the results you get are similar to shingling (in some cases they're the same). Imo, the point of shingling is to define coils, just like the Curlisto method. Therefore, the product I use could probably also be used to shingle. In fact, someone has mentioned they use IC gel to shingle anyway.

Just like you don't need to exclusively use Miss Jessie products to shingle your hair (as evidenced by this thread), you don't need to use the 50-11 Curlisto products to do the Curlisto method either. Those products are not even available in my country; I used just water and Gel and got great results. The intention of my original post wasn't to get people to use the Curlisto method over shingling but to add my own input based on what I've used to achieve similar results.

Last edited:

tking21

I just checked the thread and your hair came out SUPER CUTE!!!!!!:yep: WOW!!! Was there any flaking at all? It didn't look like it...

Nope there wasn't any flaking... just soft shiny moisturized hair that lasted until my next wash :grin:

FindingMe

Anyone used Miss Jessie's Stretch Silkening Cream for shingling?

Here's a whole thread on it:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=255405

And a youtuber:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQsFlFZ3LXA&feature=related :love: (this chick and her hair are FIYAH...)

A friend of mine gave me a 16 oz jar of this today that was partly used that she didn't like, so I shingled with it...I'll see how it does over the next couple of days with the flaking, but it dried MUCH softer and the curls are defined and controlled/no frizz and I have a lot of volume. Not as much elongation, but that's ok. The Youtuber used olive oil all over hair under product+ Miss Jessie's Quick Curls. I used coconut oil and aloe vera gel all over (not sure why/logic at the time) and added some shea butter to smooth some edges and ends after it was dry...

ETA: It airdried pretty quickly also

Last edited:
Here's a whole thread on it:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=255405

And a youtuber:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQsFlFZ3LXA&feature=related :love: (this chick and her hair are FIYAH...)

A friend of mine gave me a 16 oz jar of this today that was partly used that she didn't like, so I shingled with it...I'll see how it does over the next couple of days with the flaking, but it dried MUCH softer and the curls are defined and controlled/no frizz and I have a lot of volume. Not as much elongation, but that's ok. The Youtuber used olive oil all over hair under product+ Miss Jessie's Quick Curls. I used coconut oil and aloe vera gel all over (not sure why/logic at the time) and added some shea butter to smooth some edges and ends after it was dry...

See thumbnails below- click for larger...

ETA: It airdried pretty quickly also

OMG! Your hair looks super cute!:yep:

CG

Soliel185

So as I suspected - castor oil keeps my hair soft and moisturized throughout the drying process. I will play around with the leave-in/cream I use, and maybe a light gel but I'm so happy that I don't have crispy feeling ends!

I used a little too much oil this time...so my hair leaves a nice sheen on the hands. But I think with some tweaking I can find the perfect amount. :yep:

Shingled and then put into a puff:

Today pulled back with a band - this morning I dampened in the shower (very lightly) then added a silver dollar size amt of Sunsilk Hydra TLC leave in, and after that aloe vera gel mixed with a few squirts of my moisturizing oil (coconut oil, olive oil, & acai oil)

The top is an awkward length...It's too long to stick up properly and does a Gumby flop...Not sure how I feel about that. :ohwell:

FindingMe

So as I suspected - castor oil keeps my hair soft and moisturized throughout the drying process. I will play around with the leave-in/cream I use, and maybe a light gel but I'm so happy that I don't have crispy feeling ends!

I used a little too much oil this time...so my hair leaves a nice sheen on the hands. But I think with some tweaking I can find the perfect amount. :yep:

Shingled and then put into a puff:

Today pulled back with a band - this morning I dampened in the shower (very lightly) then added a silver dollar size amt of Sunsilk Hydra TLC leave in, and after that aloe vera gel mixed with a few squirts of my moisturizing oil (coconut oil, olive oil, & acai oil)

The top is an awkward length...It's too long to stick up properly and does a Gumby flop...Not sure how I feel about that. :ohwell:

BEAUTIFUL!!! Girl, you might have the best puff I have evah seen!:yep: LAWD....I feel you on the hair on top, I cut mine some more and it still doesn't stick up. And you prolly have 2-3 inches more there than me. I think we are just at an akward stage. I think in a minute we will be glad for our "canopies" and it will make cute styles when the hair is loose.

My next thing is gonna be twists...:lachen: I'll post when i get them done...

I am not obsessed...:look:

Afrobuttafly

There was a thread (sorry I dont have the link)...the girl used fantasia gel and the hair came out beautifully defined. I tried it but to no avail....also I think Lauren450 used it but I know she has since changed her user name which I cant remeber but this is her fotki...hope she doesnt mind http://public.fotki.com/lauren450/progress-album/20070416moremonday0138.html

You may be referring to this thread..or maybe not ..lol http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=363111