naturals who straighten, i NEED you

L.Brown1114

so i straightened my natural hair a few days ago. i didnt out anything on it (except for my jherri juice) but i mean as far as helping it straighten. i didnt have any HP and sense this was my first time EVER putting heat on my natural hair and i wont be doing it again for a long time i decided i should be fine. but i only straightened it halfway cuz it wouldnt straighten well and it looked a HAM. is it because i have a TWA or because i didnt have any to help it straighten or is my hair gonna do better with roller setting and then silk rap (i have straight roots) i just wanna know will my hair be able to be straight :perplexed

pookaloo83

I would wait until it gets a little bit longer So you can do a rollerset first. And next time use a Heat protectant girl! :spank:

Nonie

Jheri juice is a CURL activator so I think that in itself was already working against you. I don't know if others have used it.

Secondly, please do not straighten your hair before arming yourself with all the information you can on how to do a good press. Many people have posted about it and one of the things they all insist on, especially if you are new to this and do not want to singe your hair, is to use a heat protectant. There isn't one method that is best of all, but if you knew all the various ways to do it "safely" then you can better go into this knowing how to get good results without risking the health of your hair.

Grand Prix

Your hair being short right now may make it a little more difficult. I find my hair straightens best when I pull the curls/kinks taut using the comb chase method, which I guess requires a bit of length.

I'm guessing the glycerin you put in your hair is making it revert, so instead, please use heat protectant!
Lots of naturals get heat damage and bits of straight hair just by having straightened their hair one single time.

luvn_life

^^ I second that. I have to pull my hair to when I am flat ironing so that is probably why it didn't look that great. And yes next time you need to use a HP because it only takes one pass of a "too hot" flat iron or hot comb and you will be transitioning from heat damage :)

beans4reezy

Why not wait until your hair gets a little longer to straighten it? Right now, I would put your hair in full nourish mode to encourage the maximum length retention. Then, when you get length, you can reward yourself, straighten, and reap the fruits of your labor.

Also, Nonie is right. You don't want to start using heat w/o the proper technique. Why would you want to risk heat damage fresh off a BC? I am not a heat user- but common sense tells me that Jehri Juice and heat aren't the best combination.

L.Brown1114

well i didnt put the juice in there to straighten it, it wa just already in there. i didnt want my hair all the way straight i just wanted to see what it would look like straight. but thanks i will look up ways to straighten my hair correctly

bluediamond0829

You should always start out when straightening with clean hair.

When i usually straighten at home or go to a salon for a press heres what usually happens:

shampoo
apply conditioner
sit under the steam/hydration(this is a tremendous help to natural hair it puts moisture back into your hair. And also when i walk outside i dont have to worry about my hair going poof because of either humidity or like it used to do). I usually sit under the steamer for 15 to 30 minutes.
rinse conditioner out
blow dry hair
i use morrocan oil or this is where you apply a heat protectant(i dont like alot of oil on my hair and at the salon that i go to with the steam treatments i usually do not have to put moisturizer or anything on my hair) and also it will weigh the hair down.
press in sections

I didn't start straightening my hair until it was out of the short cut also--i was just in growout mode(wearing wigs,cowashing, wearing weaves and braids)

right now my hair is a little longer and thicker than my avatar pic, but i want to get pass where i am now...so no heat and its weaved up.

BostonMaria

Have you tried using a blow dryer and round brush to straighten it? Its when you apply tension to the hair with the brush as you blowdry.

I bc'd with 5 inches or so of hair so it wasn't exactly a TWA, but not long enough for a ponytail either. I would use the smallest rollers and airdry, then flatiron and my hair would come out nice. Make sure to always wash and deep condition your hair prior to flatironing. If you have any gel or curl activator in your hair it will not work.

BlaqBella

Yeppers... these ladies are RIGHT...i started off at the end of 08' damp ironing (DON"T DO IT) and i'm still paying for it now. Thinking that i was transitioning so i would be cutting it anyway...well i still have some of that hair and could have had a HEAD FULL of NATURAL hair right now (well at least past full sl).SOOOO....research research research sweetie!HHG!!!!

ms.blue

I think you should wait until you have some length before flatironing your hair. I also agree w/ everyone b/c I have heat damage hair (front-side) and I can't rock a wash n go b/c it looks stupid. It's very important to know how to use heat correctly so won't have heat damage.