Naturals who use natural products, do you see a difference?

Did you notice a difference when you switched to natural products?

• Yes - I noticed a huge difference (explain)

Votes: 68 68.0%
  • Yes - I noticed a mild difference (explain)

Votes: 16 16.0%
  • No difference

Votes: 16 16.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

greenandchic

I'm contemplating using only natural hair care products as a challenge in 2012 to see if it makes a difference in the overall health, retention, moisture/protein balance of my hair. Many of the products and brands I use are natural anyway such as oils, butters, certain brands, etc. but I wonder what would happen if I go all the way.

There is someone who's on my Fotki friends list who claimed she saw a huge difference in the health of her hair when she switched. I don't remember if she's here or not, but she does have a LOT of hair and it is very pretty.

For those of you who only use natural products, did you see a difference from when you used "regular" products?

Cendra

I can vouch for shampoos. My hair doesn't feel stripped with the organic shampoos I now use.

What I think has worked the most in terms of retention and moisture:

1. Spritzing with distilled water - far less breakage (and it's free!)
2. Using unrefined shea butter instead of manufactured product - by controlling what I put into the product, I no longer put alcohol in my hair, which the manufactured product has.

I wouldn't say there was a huge difference from the two points above. The main retention boost has been from protective styling, low manipulation and very little heat.

Hope this helps.

FearlessNik

I noticed that before I was just using products that 'everybody else was using' and not really using what worked on on my hair. The only thing I don't use that's not organic is HE HH conditioner.

chebaby

yup yup. i use all natural products 98% of the time. the only products i use that are not natural are my hard core proteins.
my hair is way more healthier now than it ever was when i was relaxed. even when i started taking care of my relaxed hair and started using some natural products on my relaxed hair there was only so much care that i could put into damaged hair.

my natural hair dont even like conditioners(besides protein) or daily moisturizers that are not natural.

longfroinghair

Oh Yes I noticed a Big Difference! :grin:

However! I don't think It's because they were natural products; its b/c of they were quality products that agreed with my hair. I think many prefer natural products b/c they do not have petrolatum and mineral oil and all that bad stuff ...by default...so you are more likely to find a quality product, with no ridiculous fillers. Then, your natural, non-porous hair will drink it all up and hold onto it for dear life..... fully reaping the benefit of the quality ingredients.

I Love thick consistency, and good quality Natural Products, but that is because they only have the good stuff in the ingredients in a high enough concentration for my thick hair. But I don't only use natural products. Pay attention to the ingredient list (especially the first 5 or so ingredients) and you could still find good products. I still use Aphogee 2 minute for protein and ORS Hair Replenishing Con for DC and Aussie 3 minute for slip. Those aren't natural, but they have quality ingredients, and work great for an affordable price.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
My hair has never felt so good and look so good since I started using Afroveda again. I only had to moisturize once since I did my twists.When I took out my twists, my hair was still as soft as it was when I put in my twists. This was the first time I put in my twists and the style lasted a full week without my having to take down all the way to re twist. This got me thinking that maybe I did not moisturize and seal properly all this time.:blush: I was able to enjoy my hair and got compliments, as well. Even with hand in hair disease, my hair was well moisturized and the style lasted. I used the Totally Twisted Almond butter and the Curl Define. I have even gotten bolder with my twist styles. It is a big up for me. :yep:

Girl626

I must say, I can completely see a difference! I was previously a product junkie, and my cabinets were bursting at the seams with brands that my hair refused to recognize. After going natural, and stumbling a bit more on my regimen, I started experimenting with products from my fridge, oils, and ayurvedic mixes. My hair LOVES it! I find myself having trouble buying a lot of hair products now, because I've never had my hair more well-behaved, and I don't want to take a chance on my hair going backwards because of some ingredients in a product that I simply wasn't aware of. I have become sort of a control freak, using everything I've mixed except shampoo and regular conditioner (deep conditioner I do make, and everything in it can be eaten! Lol) always sulphate-free.

Mind you, I'm only speaking of my experience... But I say try it! As long as you know your allergies and boundaries, natural shouldn't hurt. And you might learn something new about your hair!

HTH

greenandchic

Thanks for you responses so far! I already don't use petrolatum in my products. The only "non-natural" products I have is Aussie Moist conditioner for the slip (purchased it on sale), Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine for the price and Ecostyler gel. I also use Aphrogee for protein. Curl Junkie is on the fence IMO, but I love the brand.

I'm doing a product sweep weeding out what works and what doesn't...

thetall1

I am down for the challenge (if you decide to start one). I love pure aloe vera gel mixed with veggie glycerin, Aubrey's Organic B-5 gel, coconut oil, jojoba oil, shea butter, and jane carter's nourish & shine (98% natural). I'm still having a hard time parting from my Long Aid Curl Activator Gel (my hair LOVES this gel as a base)! I'm still trying to find an all natural gel that would give me the same results as the CAG....

faithVA

I don't know if I would say huge difference but enough of a difference where I won't go back. The mudwash changed everything for me. So the products I do use work well without my needing to use a lot. My hair stays moisturized when before it was always dry. And it has minimized my regimen and the products in my regimen. Now I can mudwash/cowash - deep condition, apply a leave-in and style. Before I was doing a lot more to just get my hair to the same point.

The biggest issue I think my hair had with non-natural products, is that the ingredients in the products started to clash on my hair which caused more problems than the products were supposed to solve. With my natural ingredients I don't have the ingredient clashes so my hair is in a much better condition and easier to care for.

greenandchic

If I do start a challenge, how "natural" should products be? Jane Carter, as Proudnapps pointed out, is 98% natural. A lot of products I like that are natural are not 100% due to fragrances and other ingredients (eg. Oyin, Darcy's, etc.) Not sure where Shea Moisture stand, 90%?

Just thinking out loud...

BEAUTYU2U

Not at first. I slowly transitioned to natural products by accident (lol) Right now, I'm only using Organix shampoo & conditioner, QB AOHC & BRBC, and oils for sealing. These products work best for my hair. I'm even thinking of transitioning to natural products for my skin.

Sent from my VM670 using VM670

Curlykale

Yes, honestly, I have tried to go non natural but with regular products my hair looks good and can be detangled and managed, but my hair doesn't FEEL as good. It feels "even better", revitalized, and stronger.

I think one could live without 100% natural products and get great results, as long as you keep adding natural ingredients that your hair loves to them (aloe juice, mud, castor oil, butters). And especially when it comes to conditioning and things you leave in your hair. Since the ends are constantly pampered with antioxidants and food, and they will last longer. If I wanted to keep my hair short, I would mind less.

I cannot imagine a 100% non natural regimen now, though.
A final point is: with natural products I can add and pile things and I don't get that crazy buildup, so it feels more practical to me.

Last edited:

Whimsy

Do it, start a challenge!! I'll join, but I say let people be as natural as they want to be in it. They'll choose their own products, whether it's giovanni or nuts and berries.

WantNatural

I would join in a challenge too, if you started one! I use mostly natural products:
Wash with Terressentials mudwash
Cowash, rinse out, leave-in with Yes to Cucumbers
Deep condition w/AO GPB and oils
Moisturize/seal with water, AVJ, castor oil
Seal again with castor oil

The only non-natural product that I use is Ecostyler gel. Sometimes I make flaxseed gel, it just depends on how lazy I'm feeling. Lately I've been really lazy, so it's been Ecostyler!:ohwell:

I don't know that I've noticed that much of a difference, except that there is definitely less buildup. My hair is showing improvement, but I've made a lot of changes to my regimen and I can't credit it all to using natural products. I do love using them though, and while I won't count out non-natural products, I do prefer for most of the products I use to be natural now.

Blessed2883

I didn't see a big enough difference to switch. I used natural products for 9-10 months and I was not satisfied with the results. I now use care free products for jheri curl ( please don't judge me) with some silk elements and aphogee and I am happier. If natural products work for you, I say use them.

jada1111

I don't think it makes a difference nor will I try to convince myself to see things that aren't there either.

I was on the natural only bandwagon for a little while, but all it did was give inconsistent hair results and drain my wallet.

jada1111

I didn't see a big enough difference to switch. I used natural products for 9-10 months and I was not satisfied with the results. I now use care free products for jheri curl ( please don't judge me) with some silk elements and aphogee and I am happier. If natural products work for you, I say use them.

No judgments from me. I say do what works for you and within your budget.

Kay.Dee

No

The only thing I've noticed is that it's more expensive. I like to use a combination of natural and commercial products...whatever works for my hair.

I tried to use all natural products, but some of the best products for my hair are the exact opposite (S-Curl spray, curl activator gel, CON shampoo).

AimWard

I notice a HUGE difference when it comes to hair color. I get absolutely no breakage from henna and indigo. When I used demi permanent color, it would take about 6 months but I would have short plugs of hair dispersed through out my head from breakage.

As far as shampoos, I've found some good ones but I've also ran into some "natural" ones that stripped my hair just like any SLS poo (ie. Aubrey Organics Honey Suckle Rose Shampoo and Dr. Bronner's).

And when it comes to gel-like stylers, mineral oil, carbomer, acrylates, and triethlamione make my hair just as crispy as glycerin, aloe vera, coconut oil and agave nectar. The only real difference is that the synthetic stuff is harder to refresh/reactivate and it's more prone to flake.

For me the huge difference in my hair came as a result of me ditching commercial hair color, eliminating heat and handling my hair with greater care. Afterall I had TBL hair @ 7 and my mother would wash my hair with whatever shampoo was on hand, press my hair twice a month and slather my scalp with grease...

daydreem2876

carpe diem
it depends on what I am going to do....

If I am going to flat iron/blow dry/wear my hair straight natural products don't work well for me (meaning the press does not last as long creating a manageability issue). So bring on the Silicon Mix and pink bottle heat protector.

If I am not (which is 85% of the time) natural products work best. My hair retains moisture better and its easier to manage in its natural state. Give my Shea Moisture and Aubrey Organics, please.

Some things I can use either way like ecostyler and Qhemet's AOHC.

QUEENJAMES231

I see a big difference but I think it's because every shampoo/cleanser that I've tried thus far has dried my hair out so I switched to using more natural products and water soluble products so that I can shampoo less often and not worry about build up. My hair has never looked or felt better.