Naturals who use natural products, do you see a difference?

Did you notice a difference when you switched to natural products?

• Yes - I noticed a huge difference (explain)

Votes: 68 68.0%
  • Yes - I noticed a mild difference (explain)

Votes: 16 16.0%
  • No difference

Votes: 16 16.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nonie

For me if I noticed a difference, it was not necessarily positive. For instance Shea Butter made my hair hard. Aubrey Organics Shampoos left my hair feeling like they had a film as did Creme of Nature. Oils made my hair hard.

What has worked for me is not really being too concerned about whether a product was natural or not but using products that give me good results. S Curl, Garnier Fructis Shampoos, Nexxus Emergencee, Nexxus Therappe, Nexxus Humectress...are among my staple products. I do have some natural products I like Giovanni 50:50 shampoo, Giovanni Tea Tree, Trader Joe's Natural Spa shampoo and conditioner, AO GPB, AO HSR...but I don't go out of my way to use just natural products when there are many products that aren't that work so well.

OP, I say only do this if the products you are using aren't working. Just because something sounds good doesn't mean it'll be as good for you as it was for another.

greenandchic

AimWard - It is interesting that my hair thrived when my mother used classic CON shampoo, Breck conditioner and pressed with grease on my hair. Those same practices on my hair today as an adult only damage and stunt the growth of my hair. I wonder why.

Nonie - I'm contemplating this because my hair is constantly breaking no matter what I do or don't do. I also have a crap load of shedding at certain intervals and trying to figure out what is triggering this. I know the shedding is probably something internal/health related, but the breaking is something that I'm doing wrong. I wonder if switching products would help weed out the issue.

ecornett

i didnt vote but im a lurker coming out of hiding to say my transitioning hair laughs at most store bought products right now natural ones feel a bit better :ohwell: but im going to start making my own cuz nothing has been cutting it:nono: and im tired of searching for the holy grail moisturizer...:drunk:

A856

can you natural ladies list the natural products that your are using??

I'm subscribing, I think I'd be interested in a natural product challenge, since I'm transitioning (and I want to go green)

Curlykale

can you natural ladies list the natural products that your are using??

I'm subscribing, I think I'd be interested in a natural product challenge, since I'm transitioning (and I want to go green)

only non natural product: Tresemme Naturals for cowashing
only natural products:
Aubrey Organics White Camellia conditioner
Giovanni 50:50 shampoo and conditioner

the rest is homemade with wholesale ingredients:
- I leave a little bit of natural conditioners in and I water them down to moisturize/mix them with oils
- My hair is always first thing drenched in aloe juice and sealed with Castor oil/ butters
- Olive oil, Sunflower Oil: I use oils everyday and whatever I do
- I add a bit water to my hair everyday before adding anything else
- Homemade whipped butter (butters + oils)
- Homemade Flax seed gel (I freeze in in cubes)
- banana baby food and oil deep conditioner
- Quick bentonite and apple cider vinegar paste as a shampoo on my scalp every so often

I need conditioner, especially as a leave in, and having a shampoo makes my life easier, otherwise I wouldn't buy products (I'm cheap).

cocoma

I use mostly natural products. I didn't start that way intentionally, it just works. Terressentials mud wash, henna, Giovanni 50/50 or smooth as silk, Bee mine moisturizing conditioner, Anita Grant rhassoul clay DC, shea butter and oils.

I would be up for a challenge as well.

ladykpnyc

I've noticed a HUGE difference!! My hair is much less frizzy, my hair is never dry. Detangling is easier and my scalp doesn't bother me anymore.

Shampoo: Terressentials Mud Wash (Left Coast Lemon/Sultry Spice)
DC: Coconut milk and Anita Grant's Rhassoul Deep Dish Cubes (banana is my fav)
Moisturizer: QB Burdock Root Butter Cream (mostly natural)
Sealant/Oils:Coconut Oil, JB Caster Oil, & My Ginger Coconut Whipped Shea Butter (20 drops of ginger eo and 3 tablespoons of coconut oil whipped into 8oz of unrefined shea butter)
Spritz: Aloe Vera Juice (I also use this as a leave in along with my shea butter and Burdock root butter cream)
Gel: Homemade flax seed gel

Last edited:

Renewed1

For me yes. The OTC products didn't work on my hair as in keeping in moisture. Therefore, I had to DC with my Stillranah(?) or natural deep conditioners every week. As we know, natural products are $$$$.

Thanks to the mud wash recommendation, I only use my DC every other week. Which saves me $$$$.

I use all natural products for gel (flax seed) to shea butter, coconut oil, etc etc etc. My hair is thickening up, moisturized, and beautiful!!

MyAngelEyez~C~U

The only things I'm using in my hair currently are Tresemme Naturals Moisture Rich conditioner, my homemade shea/mango butter whip, Ecostyler pink, and a glycerine/water spritz. Not all natural, but free of mineral oil/petrolatum/silicones, and my hair is quite happy :) I think simplicity is the key.

faithVA

The only things I'm using in my hair currently are Tresemme Naturals Moisture Rich conditioner, my homemade shea/mango butter whip, Ecostyler pink, and a glycerine/water spritz. Not all natural, but free of mineral oil/petrolatum/silicones, and my hair is quite happy :) I think simplicity is the key.

I agree. Keeping it simple has worked very well. I cowashed and twisted with butter blend and I was finished. :yep: My hair seems to like the simplicity much better.

Triniwegian

I saw a difference in my wallet...lol
Natural product does give more shine and softness. When I am done with the poor student life I will definitely add more organic products to my hair....and diet.

Sent from my HTC EVO = TYPO GALORE!

Ozma

I say yes, natural products have made a difference in my curl definition, moisture retention, strength of hair and ease of styling.

All natural products
: henna, Nutiva ev coconut oil, sweet almond oil, JBCO, shea butter, Terressentials mud wash, Dr. Bronner's Almond Soap

Mostly natural products: Qhemet Amla and Olive Heavy Cream, Qhemet Cocoa Tree Detangling Ghee, AfroVeda Shea Amla Whipped Butter Cream

That's everything I use on my hair currently, although when the weather gets warmer in 2012, I'll add some vegetable glycerin back into the reg.

Last edited:

Iluvsmuhgrass

I think simplicity is the key.

Detangling is easier and my scalp doesn't bother me anymore.

:yep: :yep: :yep: These right here. :yep: :yep: :yep:

Using natural products have made a big difference to me. I didn't think so at first because I was sooooo used to the coated slip that cones gave me!! When I compared that feeling to the one time use of a natural poo or DC, I actually thought that natural products just weren't for me. I was unfamiliar with the FEEL of healthy hair sans the cones, so I thought they (natural products) were a waste of money BUT once I decided to KEEP using them, I noticed a major turn around in my hair. Lots of moisture, softness, easy to detangle, little to no breakage, low ssks with proper moisturization, and via low maintenance it maintained it's moisture and pliability... once I nailed down and tweaked a good regimen.

I use mostly natural products now and the only unnatural products have been various conditioners, heat protectant when flat ironing , gel, and a clarifying shampoo. When using natural products (ones that work well for ME) my scalp and grass are VERY happy. I love being able to wash and condition my hair without my scalp being an itchy, dry, flaky, unhappy mess. I am very sensitive and I learned the hard way that just because something is natural doesn't mean I'm not allergic to it. :nono:

Products that I use: Castor/Coconut/Olive oil, Giovanni (50:50 conditioner, Direct Leave-in, Smooth as Silk, Frizz Serum), Qhemet Biologics is my absolute GO TO (CTDG, AOHC, Amla pomade, Aethiopica Twist Butter), Quantum Clarifying Shampoo, Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus (Moisture Mist, Sulfate Free Shampoo), Eco-Styler gel, and KeraPRO Restorative Treatment for Dry to Very Dry Hair. :lick:

Last edited:

BEAUTYU2U

Just adding...

With non-natural products, I had to use more product and have more to my regimen (shampoo, conditioner, moisturizer, styler, oil, deep conditioner, etc) which also led to build up. So although it was cheaper at first, it got more expensive cause I needed more to get the desired effect.

With natural (or mostly natural) products, I'm down to a few essentials (shampoo, conditioner, moisturizer, oil) and I use less. So although it's more expensive, I use a lot less. Also, no build up.

Sent from my VM670 using VM670

empressri

Well usually I do. But for the past two weeks I've used the generic version of paul mitchell the conditioner with castor oil over it and I must say...my hair is BANGING!!!

I know the paul mitchell stuff isn't all natural but the castor oil is.

I think if I at least use some natural products my hair fares well.

aicramphoto

Skin allergies were what led me to stop relaxing and to use natural products for hair, face and body. My skin does not itch, even in high season. As for my hair, it is healthier but I am still looking for a solution to retain growth. I had to put more protein back in my regimen and I hope that helps. My hair is naturally soft. The natural products do help my curls!

Someone mentioned using clarifying shampoos as one of the only non-natural type products they use. I don't know about others, but Burt's Bees Super Shiny Grapefruit conditioner makes a horrible conditioner for me but since it seemed to strip my hair, I found that it makes a good clarifyer followed by a conditioner. Also, for me Kinky Curly cleanser felt the same way. I only use it once in a while to get rid of build up or after swimming, then I deep condition. Not sure if this is useful for anyone else.

CurlsBazillion

I've seen a huge difference now that all my leave in products are natural. I bought shea moisture shampoo and I just tried it and I now have a very itchy scalp. Not sure if thats the shampoo for me but I am progressively moving towards all natural products. Looking for a good organic conditioner for cowashing and a protein free DC.

westNDNbeauty

Increasing my use of natural products has resulted in scalp issues remaining null and void. I especially like to use the KBB creamylicious for scalp massages.

Typically, my scalp used to FORCE me to wash my hair every week, but now I can pretty much go as long as I can stand when it comes to the scent of my hair. Usually 7-12 days.

bemajor

Yes. I attribute the difference to the Terrissentials mud wash. I spend less time moisturizing, my "wash and go's" no longer take 2 hours to do, I am now comfortable walking out of the house straight out of the shower with no product if need be, coconut oil now works and is sufficient, KKNT no longer flakes, I have [a little] less shrinkage and my hair is no longer crunchy.

I started using all natural products to keep the results from the mud wash. I cannot attest to all natural products without the wash. I will say that my straightened hair is not as smooth as it used to be before I started the mud wash. I have straightened my hair twice since I started the mud wash in September.

I am a 4ab.

FoxxyLocs

I use mostly natural products. The biggest difference came from my shampoo I think, because commercial shampoos were drying my hair out. I also don't get product build up anymore. I just switched back to suave naturals conditioner instead of Aubrey Organics, but I may experiment with a more natural conditioner.

Sent from my HTC Evo

Lita

The greatest change & improvement for me-Changing to sulfate free detangleing poos.....*With the sulfate-free detangle poo,I no-longer have flaky peeling dirty looking scalp,and my hair doesn't look dull...

*The Redken dc I use on occasion is not 100% natural..However, it contains natural ingredients & it seems to work for me..

*My poos must not contain ANY sulfates...Especially the first 5 ingredients...

Happy Hair Growing!

Last edited:

brownsugarbaby

greenandchic and others, I would highly recommend you check out Zhara's fotki. I absolutely fell in love with her hair after stalking Conterria

http://public.fotki.com/Zhara/

She uses all natural everything. She has an album dedicated to her approach on natural hair care. I especially like her natural rinse and tea.

Not long after finding her did I decide to try her approach. I went to an herb shop made a detoxifying rinse and have been using natural products ever since. I stocked up on Aubrey Organics shampoos, conditioners, other hair goodies, and oils. Its only been a month. I drink the tea consistently for an internal approach as well. I am liking the results so far but will wait a few month to fall in love.

greenandchic

greenandchic and others, I would highly recommend you check out Zhara's fotki. I absolutely fell in love with her hair after stalking Conterria

She uses all natural everything. She has an album dedicated to her approach on natural hair care. I especially like her natural rinse and tea.

Not long after finding her did I decide to try her approach. I went to an herb shop made a detoxifying rinse and have been using natural products ever since. I stocked up on Aubrey Organics shampoos, conditioners, other hair goodies, and oils. Its only been a month. I drink the tea consistently for an internal approach as well. I am liking the results so far but will wait a few month to fall in love.

I follow her on Fotki! She was the person who inspired me in the first place. :p Is she a member here?

Pompous Blue

My progress and health of my hair would be nowhere had i not started using all natural products. My hair and scalp thank me!

nakialovesshoes

@greenandchic and others, I would highly recommend you check out Zhara's fotki. I absolutely fell in love with her hair after stalking @Conterria

I follow her on Fotki! She was the person who inspired me in the first place. :p Is she a member here?

brownsugarbaby greenandchic
I, too, was inspired by Zhara. She is the reason why I'm using all natural products this time around being natural. Though I only have a TWA right now & my hair was much longer the 1st time, I still notice a difference. Also, the mud wash made/makes a tremendous difference as well.

My 1st time natural I was using products filled with cones b/c of the slip & the softness. But the softness never seemed to stick around & because my hair was so coated it was always dry. My crown was the worst. No matter how many moisturizers, butters, oils I used my crown would make it disappear & my hair would be as dry as the desert.

Now that patch in my crown is prettymuch gone. I don't have the crunch, nor the dryness issues. Tonight I did a Chicoro prepoo with food grade AVG & WGO. Then I added some EVCO on top & placed a baggy on for a couple of hours. My hair was sooooo soft & moisturized. I may have to find a way to incorporate this prepoo mix into my daily routine.

Right now I have a bentonite clay & AVG mix on under a baggy. After applying the clay my curls were popping. I'm going to rinse before I go to bed & apply my sulfur mix & GHE overnight.

Also, I use Terresentials, AOHR, AOGBP. I co-wash daily with the AOHR & then use a mix of AVG, AOHR, veggie glycerine & water as my leave-in/moisturizer. I also use WGO & unpetroleum jelly to seal. I plan to add some Ayurvedic oils/teas to my routine as well as henna.

greenandchic

brownsugarbaby greenandchic
I, too, was inspired by Zhara. She is the reason why I'm using all natural products this time around being natural. Though I only have a TWA right now & my hair was much longer the 1st time, I still notice a difference. Also, the mud wash made/makes a tremendous difference as well.

My 1st time natural I was using products filled with cones b/c of the slip & the softness. But the softness never seemed to stick around & because my hair was so coated it was always dry. My crown was the worst. No matter how many moisturizers, butters, oils I used my crown would make it disappear & my hair would be as dry as the desert.

Now that patch in my crown is prettymuch gone. I don't have the crunch, nor the dryness issues. Tonight I did a Chicoro prepoo with food grade AVG & WGO. Then I added some EVCO on top & placed a baggy on for a couple of hours. My hair was sooooo soft & moisturized. I may have to find a way to incorporate this prepoo mix into my daily routine.

Right now I have a bentonite clay & AVG mix on under a baggy. After applying the clay my curls were popping. I'm going to rinse before I go to bed & apply my sulfur mix & GHE overnight.

Also, I use Terresentials, AOHR, AOGBP. I co-wash daily with the AOHR & then use a mix of AVG, AOHR, veggie glycerine & water as my leave-in/moisturizer. I also use WGO & unpetroleum jelly to seal. I plan to add some Ayurvedic oils/teas to my routine as well as henna.

What do you use in your clay mix? I've been trying to find the right mix, but everything I do makes it so hard to rinse it out of my hair.