Naturals who use natural products, do you see a difference?

Did you notice a difference when you switched to natural products?

• Yes - I noticed a huge difference (explain)

Votes: 68 68.0%
  • Yes - I noticed a mild difference (explain)

Votes: 16 16.0%
  • No difference

Votes: 16 16.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nakialovesshoes

What do you use in your clay mix? I've been trying to find the right mix, but everything I do makes it so hard to rinse it out of my hair.

greenandchic
AV & clay - that's it. I've never had any issues washing it out, even with the Terresentials. I've never heard anyone complain of that. When I made my own, I made it a little thinner than the Terresentials, though. It softens my hair and gives me curl definition like nothing else.

Do you have any porosity issues? I'm just trying to figure out what would make it so hard to wash out of your hair. The hardness I would understand if you were using commercial products. When I 1st transitioned to natural products & I did the recommended Terresentials detox, it took a minute for me to get that softness. I had to get all of those layers of silicones, etc. off 1st.

Come over to the Mud Wash thread. Maybe someone there can help.

Pompous Blue

What do you use in your clay mix? I've been trying to find the right mix, but everything I do makes it so hard to rinse it out of my hair.
greenandchic
I use aloe vera gel, clay and brine or (pre-brewed) ayurvedic teas. I mix this combo with a hand held blender. I don't get a good mix by using a whisk or spoon to mix the ingredients together.

If you're using a spoon or whisk, maybe that's the problem. The mixture may still have lumps (albeit small lumps) in it when you apply it to your hair making it hard to rinse out.

When I use a hand held blender, I get a smooth and evenly mixed treatment. It applies evenly and rinses all out every time.

coolsista-paris

i see the difference when it comes to washing : oil washing helps so much (so ive got dosens of oils at home) + shea butter makes my hair soft (some industrial products make it soft then an hour after its hard or flakes....) so id say shea butter.

on moisturizing: my hair prefers s curl than home made sprits, although ive tried lots, they are good BUT my hair just lives s curl spray and is so well moisturized with this thing.so to bad for the wallet ill stick to it. (pissed i have bought a very big jar of glycerin for my spritz) ill try it out again.

jhcprincess

Nonie what do mean when you say "hard?" I hear ppl say that something made their hair hard all the time, but I have no idea what they mean by that.

Nonie

@Nonie what do mean when you say "hard?" I hear ppl say that something made their hair hard all the time, but I have no idea what they mean by that.

Well, my hair is naturally soft. I have fine strands that feel like baby hair, only not glossy/slippery smooth like baby hair. When something makes my hair hard, it makes it stiff and rough. It's like going from the feeling of cotton to feeling like steel wool (a bit of an exaggeration) but it's not deeper than that. My hair also feels dry. jhcprincess

It goes from feeling like this brush's bristles feel:

To feeling like these the way a medium to hard toothbrush's bristles feel like.

testimony777

I used natural products for years (and when I say natural I mean mostly homemade). I swore by natural stuff. About a year ago I got to a place with my hair where I was just tired of all the hoopla. I decided that I was going to be happy with my hair at the length it was (just above BLS), employ gentle techniques to care for my hair but not sweat all the other stuff (PS, avoiding cones, mineral oil, etc.) I started trying stuff I would never have touched (miss jessie's) and found that my hair was fine. There was no difference in the health (or look) of my hair from using the unnatural stuff and I was spending significantly less time caring for my hair. For me, how I handle my hair is way more important than what I put on it. The one exception to this is sulphates. I still avoid sulphates but that falls under keeping my hair moisturized; I avoid any ingredient that I know will be drying.

NaturalPath

When it comes to leave-in conditioners and shampoos I do notice a difference particularly decrease in dryness/brittleness, healthier feeling state of hair.

My hair does react well to other natural ingrediants tea rinses, ACV, oils (particularly JBCO) and aloe vera

When it comes to regular conditioners and deep conditioners, I need to have the ingredient behementronium sulfate/chloride to give my hair that necessary slip

greenandchic

When it comes to leave-in conditioners and shampoos I do notice a difference particularly decrease in dryness/brittleness, healthier feeling state of hair.

My hair does react well to other natural ingrediants tea rinses, ACV, oils (particularly JBCO) and aloe vera

When it comes to regular conditioners and deep conditioners, I need to have the ingredient behementronium sulfate/chloride to give my hair that necessary slip

My hair likes the ingredient behementronium sulfate/chloride too. Do you know what its made out of?

NaturalPath

My hair likes the ingredient behementronium sulfate/chloride too. Do you know what its made out of?

greenandchic
ooops I misspelled the word, its actually behentrimonium sulfate
I searched online and its derived from canola oil which is interesting. I wonder if I should just experiment adding canola oil to a natural con/deep con

Derived from rapeseed (canola) oil.

Functions:

A very mild yet effective ingredient known for its de-tangling and hair thickening properties. Because this ingredient directly deposits onto the hair follicle to smooth out the cuticles, it's highly regarded for its conditioning abilities. It can be found in many hair products like conditioner, detangler, shampoo and styling gel. It also acts as an emulsifying agent, gentle enough to be used in baby products that are left on the skin. When used in lotions and creams, it gives a soft and powdery after-touch to the skin.

Also apparently you can just buy it as well http://www.makingcosmetics.com/Behentrimonium-p20.html

Lucky's Mom

I have seen a difference.

However..... It was through much trial and error ( a few years) that I found what really works for me.

I know that commercial products ( the ones I was using) was giving my poor hair the blues.... but - I learned about the products - ingredients that WOULD work for my hair.

Not everything natural - works for me.....

A few of them are:

Shea Butter: Great on my skin ( when I whip it to shea butter mousse) but horrible on my hair... ( Crunch city)
So - I avoid any product with it....

MUDWash/ Clay: That was not a great feeling. If I have to use 3 other things with one product....to soften my hair.... it is not for me. Works great for my facials!

Henna: Tried it... At the end of the LONG day... Hated it. Aphogee is much better and easier for me....:lachen:( I know - not natural)
Henna made my hair hard and dry for at least 2 weeks after the treatment.....

What did / does work for me?

1. Aloe Vera Juice and aloe vera gel. Live for em. Love em! I use Aloe vera juice and silk amino acids as an herbal leave in..

2. Castor oil/ un petroleum Jelly

3. Distilled Water.....

4. coconut oil. I use VATS of the stuff.:look:

What I buy?

1. Etae Shampoo

2. Oyin Honey Hemp Conditioner.... ( which is prety much all natrual - no scary stuff)

3. Nature's Gate Conditioner....Love it as a rinse out.....

For flat ironing - I use what WORKS..... and one of them is heat protectant... and I only use that for blow drying......and at the end of the day - silicone is not too bad...because I don't use too often!

Hope this helps!
:lick:

Last edited:

greenandchic

Lucky's Mom - I hear you on the shea butter. It doesn't play nice in my hair either. :( I try to use other butters instead.

When I flat iron again, I'm using a silicon based heat protectant for sure; better safe than sorry!

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
Yes, my leave-ins, moisturizers and sealants are all natural or mostly natural products. I feel that they condition my hair better then drugstore or salon quality products.

Lucky's Mom

@Lucky's Mom - I hear you on the shea butter. It doesn't play nice in my hair either. :( I try to use other butters instead.

When I flat iron again, I'm using a silicon based heat protectant for sure; better safe than sorry!

Yep... I think it is just silly not to use the stuff that was FORMULATED to have some protection on the hair... Especially ours... So - Yep... It will wash out with mild shampoos.... :yep::yep::yep:

beana

My hair responds much better to all natural product lines (at least so far). I've been on a one month trial with darcy's botanicals and shi-naturals products and my once non-existent curl pattern is very apparent now. My hair is much softer as well.

I plan to continue using all natural products until March so that i can thoroughly assess the benefits. As long as natural product vendors have sales, I will repurchase!

greenandchic

My hair responds much better to all natural product lines (at least so far). I've been on a one month trial with darcy's botanicals and shi-naturals products and my once non-existent curl pattern is very apparent now. My hair is much softer as well.

I plan to continue using all natural products until March so that i can thoroughly assess the benefits. As long as natural product vendors have sales, I will repurchase!

Curious, what products were you using before you made the switch?

Sent from my ADR6350 using ADR6350

Ann0804

With the use of natural hair products, my hair is not dry and brittle anymore. It's easier to work with.

beana

Curious, what products were you using before you made the switch?

Sent from my ADR6350 using ADR6350

Mostly silk elements megasilk (which is still my favorite commercial conditioner) and nutress products. I still like them, but prefer the results i get with natural products

MsDes

I just recently started using more natural products. I see a moderate difference. My hair seems to hold moisture better. I use products that are at least 90% natural. I use Shea Moisture, Giovanni, and some Jane Carter products. I am very interested in trying out brands like Shescenit, and I can't think of the others right now. But yall know. My hair is less frizzy too.

knt1229

I see a big difference in my hair now that I use sulphate free and paraben free shampoos and conditioners and do an ACV rinse once a week. Prior to that I had problems with dryness at the crown of my head. Now that I use the sulphate free poos I have better curl definition and my hair holds moisture better. My natural hair was healthy before switching but it's even better now.

felic1

My hair changed with the Terressentials mudwash detox regimen. I did that and received a curl pattern. My hair did not look like that previously. It would curl and be in ringlets. I watch my products closely. No parabens, no sulfate shampoos, very few cones. I use a bentonite mudpack or rhassoul every time I do my hair and a henna treatment. (with indigo). I have used a cheaper conditioner to wash out the indigo. It is getting better with time. I am enjoying my products and the lovely items I bought myself to baby my hair with.

Arian

Loc'ing Up!
I really just started adopting an all natural regimen, but I've noticed a mild enough difference that makes me want to continue doing so...

I really think I am going to reap maximum benefits from using all natural products and cowashing exclusively with silicone free, all natural conditioners.. :yep: