Naturals. Why are you staying natural?

Brownie

This thread sort of has to do with the thread about a lot of naturals wanting to relax/texturize lately. Why do you want to stay natural? As for me, I will not relax again because:

1). I've been there done that with texturizing, and I will never do it again because the grass wasn't greener. I got a rude awakening that chemical treated hair isn't easier to take care of.

2). Transitioning takes too long, and I'm not about to cut my hair again. My hair was nearly waist length when I cut it in January to get rid of my texturized ends. It's growing back in good time, but I'm not about to go through that again.

3). I had enough of the salons and touch up drama, having to have that done every 3-5 months. When I had a lot of new growth, I loved how bushy and thick my hair was, and then, I'd go to the salon, and after having my hair touched up, the chemicals seemed to deflate my nice big hair, and I was always disappointed.

4). After every touch up, I always felt like I had ruined my hair. Here I was taking vitamins to improve the quality of my hair, and then, I was breaking my hair down with chemicals. Then I'd use protein treatments to try to build it up again---to only break it down again. What a crazy cycle!

5). With texturized hair, even if I went to the same salon with the same hair dresser, my hair never came out the same way twice because hair dressers get in a hurry. Also most hair dressers wanted to make my hair straighter than it was, so it was "easier" for them to deal with.

6). I got tired of dealing with more than one texture and trying to detangle all that stuff. My hair is sooooooooooooo easy to comb now with one texture. I don't have to spend hours trying to detangle.

7). My natural hair is soft. My texturized hair always felt rough.

8). When I was texturized, I used to play with my roots because they were curly and springy and the rest of my hair wasn't. Now, all my hair is springy from roots to tip.

9). At one time I thought I needed a texturizer to make my hair more manageable; however, I found out after becoming natural again that I can wear my hair in exactly the same styles as I wore my texturized hair, but now my hair is just thicker.

10). I had thinner edges when I texturized. Now, my edges are thick.

11). My hair is curly without having to sit under a dryer forever trying to do a roller set.

12). My hair breaks less.

13). To me, natural hair is more interesting with curls and waves and wooly bigness. I look at pictures of my texturized hair now, and the texture just doesn't compare to the beauty I see in my texture now. My old texture looks like a watered down version of my current texture---the curls aren't defined; they just looked limp.

14). I get A LOT more compliments as a natural, from other naturals and relaxed heads.

15). Fairly often I hear people talking about how hard natural hair is to take care. I'm staying natural because IMHO, natural hair (all types) is easier to take care of than chemically treated hair. Our hair doesn't have to be beaten into submission with constant heat, or chemicals to be beautiful and manageable. I've seen some beautiful heads on this board from all textures. As for me, I will not be going back to relaxers.

Last edited:

sbg4evr

I agree with you on all points. I get compliments constantly about my hair. It seems that girls with relaxed hair are envious of my full head of hair.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I wish we could start a natural encouragement thread. My natural hair actually looks like it's texturized, very curly. My beef is the shrinkage factor and my own lack of styling skills. When I see a pic of natural, long healthy hair, it keeps me going. :) I'm happy that I found this site. It has positive encouragement, and for the most part, we all get along. ;) Right now, I have a stylist that refuses to put chemicals in my hair. My hubby actually loves it. He told me that when I put chemicals in my hair, something bad always happens. Since becoming natural, I have no shedding issues and currently it takes me less time to do my hair. I just wash n go. I just gotta figure out how to stye it in the winter. :lol: My current albums I stalk is Ayeisha, Den1, JainyGirl, BubblinBnSuga, and my hair buddy High Priestess. There are many more, but I'm not gonna be typing all night to make a point. Thanks for the encouragement, y'all! :notworthy

Cichelle

I like my natural hair.

I don't like being a slave to the touch up.

My hair is much healthier natural than it was relaxed.

I am not going to go through a 14 month transition all over again.

I just don't want to grow older and still be relaxing my hair.

I don't want to worry about the chemicals in the relaxers.

My natural hair is easier to take care and keep healthy than my relaxed hair.

A myriad of spiritual and emotional reasons.

:)

caligirl

This is going to sound lame, but I feel like an African princess with my natural hair. Its very thick and kinky/curly. People ask me all the time where I'm from, like they've never seen a black girl with natural hair before, lol! When I want it staight I can blowdry or press it and its still nice and lush.

Mamacita

For me, the grass isn't greener on the other side. I'm still in the transition stage, no relaxer for 8 months thus far. When I texturized in April of 04 I thought my hair would be more maneageable and it was......but boy was I in for a surprise. My hair was weaker, it did more shedding, and it was EXTREMELY tangled. I thought I would love text. hair but I hated it, the difference in textures was maddening. My hair untex. was at brastrap, thick and healthy and had tons of elasticity. My hair lost a great deal of elasticity after tex, my hair was still long but just harder to deal with, and to think I got a text to make it easier to manage, lol. I recently cut off my hair from brastrap to collar bone lenght to rid myself of alot of the text. hair. I'm still on my journey though. I WILL NOT relax again b/c like I said b4 the grass isn't greener, besides it's easier for me since I work out 6-7 days per week to wear natural styles.

Country gal

When I was relaxed, I loved styles that gave my hair more texture. I will stay natural because I no longer have to do braidouts to get the waves. When I am at home, I am different. I stand out in a crowd because many of the ladies are still relaxed. Relaxed heads look at me in awe like I wish my hair could do that. I am like it came, just step away from the perm.

DragonPearl

Cichelle said:
I like my natural hair.

Agree!!! :)

I don't like the idea of permanently altering something that nature or God has given me, when there is really nothing inherently wrong or ugly about it. My staying natural is part of me feeling good about me and accepting me as I am. When I have an urge for straight hair, I just press my hair.

dija23

1. It's soo much easier with natural hair! I can just wash and go.

2. It's different...I stand out more, people stare at it, people give me compliments.

3. It's fun! All those curls and kinks to play with. And learning how to style it is really fun.

4. It's beautiful...it's you in your natural state.

5. I am not afraid of RAIN anymore!! haha :D

6. It's soo much healthier! NO MORE chems!! No breakage worries, touch-up worries, heat burns, etc.!!

brittanynic16

I stay natural because I love my hair. It is soft with and without products. As time goes by my hair gets softer and softer. It also gets darker and darker. I don't need anything in my body that mutates my hair.

mkstar826

supersonic
i'm staying natural because it is the best thing that's happened to me. i learned to truly embrace what God gave me and my mentality completely changed for the better. i have true freedom (hair-wise) and no chemical is ever going to take that away from me.

i'm staying natural because this is the way my hair is supposed to be.

NGC

Brownie said:
2). Transitioning takes too long, and I'm not about to cut my hair again.

3). I had enough of the salons and touch up drama, having to have that done every 3-5 months. When I had a lot of new growth, I loved how bushy and thick my hair was, and then, I'd go to the salon, and after having my hair touched up, the chemicals seemed to deflate my nice big hair, and I was always disappointed.

15). Fairly often I hear people talking about how hard natural hair is to take care. I'm staying natural because IMHO, natural hair (all types) is easier to take care of than chemically treated hair. Our hair doesn't have to be beaten into submission with constant heat, or chemicals to be beautiful and manageable. I've seen some beautiful heads on this board from all textures. As for me, I will not be going back to relaxers.

This pretty much sums it up for me.

Plus, for me, I am just not comfortable with relaxers anymore.

diamoness

My natural hair is "care free"......by that I mean if I dont worry about what my hair is gonna do.
When I was relaxed, I was constantly worried about my hair looking thin and brittle. It was always flat(plastered to my head)......and dont let it rain (looked like a wet mutt). My hair styles would only last 45min. to an hour before it looked like crap again. The only time it looked good was immediately after leaving the salon......50 dollars later,the next day, its back to crap.

I LOVE my natural hair because:
I save so much money!!!
And I have thick, soft, healthy, full hair
Men love it
I dont get dandruff anymore
It is versatile
I dont have to dodge the rain
I can wash it everyday without losing handfulls of hair
It is low maintanence
My relaxed friends envy me
White folks are amazed .....they want my hair
I can identify with every single one of these posts!!!!!!

CatSuga

Because it's easy.
If I feel the need to switch up my style I'll just wear a wig or get a sew-in.

Lucia

I just had 1 choice either have naturally curly hair as long as it will grow or relaxer/texts and deal with dryness, breakage, thinness, and chem burns, the chems were never a good experience for me or my hair, plus I get so many compliments on how thick my hair is.

nchristina

b/c I feel more like my authentic self, this hair makes an important statement about me. It says, this is me and I don't give a sh*t what you think. To perm my hair would say that the Africa in me needs to be continually surpressed. I stay natural b/c I love myself and my ancestors.

ashe

P

patient1

You've all summed it up so ~beautifully~ in over a dozen different ways. I've got daughters, nieces, students who need to witness someone comfortable with and reveling in their natural hair.

This is who I am. This is what I choose. AND this is the hair that chose me. I gotta wear the crown the Creator gave me.

P1

CurleeDST

It's funny you say this because I have old white women and young white women complimenting me on my thick, fuzzy, big natural hair on a very consistent basis. I had a young Republican white male tell me I had "cool" hair and if he had hair like me he would loc it. LOL we ALWAYS want what we do not have.

LOL!

diamoness said:
White folks are amazed .....they want my hairQUOTE]

Sascha

Stay at home Mommy
I never had issues with relaxers but I just feel "right" with my hair natural.

Now that I am having children I want them to see that I am comfortable with myself. I hope to show them that we as individuals are ok just the way we are.

Peachtree

mkstar826 said:
i'm staying natural because it is the best thing that's happened to me. i learned to truly embrace what God gave me and my mentality completely changed for the better. i have true freedom (hair-wise) and no chemical is ever going to take that away from me.

My feelings exactly!

Brownie

mkstar826 said:

I love your hair! Beautiful. I enjoy looking through your album.

Brownie

dija23 said:
1. It's soo much easier with natural hair! I can just wash and go.

5. I am not afraid of RAIN anymore!! haha :D

I forgot about the rain thing. I love walking to my car from a store when it's raining while other women are running, trying to get their umbrellas up to cover their straight hair. Washing and going is nice too, especially in the summer. Your head feels nice and cool and clean all day.

Super_Hero_Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cichelle

Cichelle said:
I like my natural hair.

Jessy55 said:
Agree!!! :)

I don't like the idea of permanently altering something that nature or God has given me, when there is really nothing inherently wrong or ugly about it. My staying natural is part of me feeling good about me and accepting me as I am. When I have an urge for straight hair, I just press my hair.

These two ladies sum up exactly how I feel. :)

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
I agree with all the above posts.

I feel like ME with my natural hair and frankly I don't really know for sure how to take care of relaxed or texturized hair lol.

I was a bit insecure when I met my new boyfriend and I asked him what he thought of my hair. I was surprised when he said: "I wish it was more of an afro"!! That made me realize I'm not the only one who loves freedom hair!

MeechUK

MeechUK
mkstar826 said:

I have to agree with you, no disrespect to relaxed/texurised ladies. I find it easier to maintain my natural hair and experiment with different hairstyles I would never have contemplated before joining this board. My hair is now healthier and blooming and I could never go back to chemicals which require a lot more care to maintain. For me I have found hair freedom!

MeechUK

JaneBond

i am staying natural because it is healthier for you. I was natural all my life except for one year. I will never put any type of chemical on my head again not even dye. I have been transitioning since last october and i still have the horrible, disgusting ,brittle, dry ,crunchy, un managable SCAB HAIR. SO whether i wanted to relax or not this SCAB HAIR trauma has really traumatized me into no chamicals FOREVER.

JB-:)

Last edited:

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
I really appreciate the look and versatility of permed hair BUT

In six months of transitioning my hair stretched is longer than it's been in my life I think even with the tips from this board I wouldn't retain as much length if I were still perming or using heat.

I like my coils. I like to play with them and they make me feel feminine.

ladymadonna

I love the texture, versitality of natural hair.
Don't like chemicals; they don't agree with my scalp and the "benefits" are always short-lived.