Everyday natural styles

Amour

Naturals, how do u wear you hair everyday.

I am texturized but still have a really natural looking texture (its just abit more manageable) but i'm constantly in sew ins because I do not know for the life of me how to style natural hair

I've done a search which brought up old dated not so useful information

I'm interested in seeing some natural up dos too

TIA

There was a recent thread on natural updos - I'll see if I can bump it for you.

ETA: Here are two recent threads
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=252673
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=254179

Personally - it depends, for me. I'm usually in some sort of protective style or another, whether it's two strand twists, flat twists, or a bun (which my hair has just now gotten long enough for me to even consider doing!)

I'll wear the occasional twist out, but I have most of my hair fun with flat twists, and doing them different ways - it's fast, and it's easy to redo if I mess up. :lol: Also, there is almost an infinite amount of styles you can do, based on size, how you part them, what direction you take them - it's a very creative process - I suspect every natural has her own 'style' that works best for her hair and head.....

Also, nappturality.com has a nice style forum - you can browse there, and check out some of the styles.

Last edited:
Flat twists, buns, pony puffs...Somtimes I justs bobby pin all my hair and put a headband on.

Since I cowash daily, most of my styles (save for the bun, and the loose pin ups and the puffs) start on wet hair.

Braid outs, twist outs, or I'll put the front in a pony puff and pin the back up.

When I get tired of my hair, I start wearing protective styles like mini twists, and braids.

This week I experimented.

• I wet hair down every evening
  • Secure into poneytail in the bottom center of my head. I secure it with a seamless elastic band under shower because the water helps to flatten my 4ab hair against my head.
  • Wrap hair in a sweat shirt and twist the arms around the poney tail and secure at the bottom of the tail with a band.
  • Put a silk scarf over the sweat shirt
  • Go to bed
  • Undo in the morning, take off the poney tail band.
  • Hair is damp/dry
  • Apply gel all over and around perimeter of head
  • Secure a band around perimeter of head for about 10 minutes until gel slicks the sides nicely
  • Off I go! It looks really cute with defined curls.

Since I cowash daily, most of my styles (save for the bun, and the loose pin ups and the puffs) start on wet hair.

Braid outs, twist outs, or I'll put the front in a pony puff and pin the back up.

How are you able to do a braid out or twist out if you cowash daily? Or do you mean you put the braids in for 5 minutes or something? or is it that you cowash at night and let the braids in stay overnight? i mean, when does the braid out have time to set?

My hair has been in some form of twist out for the last couple of months with a week or two exception. After I wash I let my hair dry in twists, big ones. I wash at night so they can be dry (sorta :perplexed) by morning. Then I separate the twists in the morning and wear the twist out. Depending on how small the twists were and a couple of other factors, I can wear that twist out for 2 days to 1 week w/o having to redo it. For big twists, I usually retwist every night to every other night since it's pretty fast and helps keep the tangling to a minimum. An example of this is in my avatar right now. I can put that into a pony puff, half pony, or some other updo.

How are you able to do a braid out or twist out if you cowash daily? Or do you mean you put the braids in for 5 minutes or something? or is it that you cowash at night and let the braids in stay overnight? i mean, when does the braid out have time to set?

I'm curious about this, also. I like the look of twist outs set on wet hair, but my hair takes so long to dry unless I sit under the dryer. I'm still currently experimenting with different ways to get twist outs to look nice with a shorter setting time.

hmm well every style is kinda a everyday style... i usu. keep in styles for a while and then wear my hair out. kinda cuz i'm lazy and kinda cuz i try to focus on my work and not my hair so much! sooo

recently i've had:

-twists
- box braids
-high puff
-ponytail with the "ponytail" twisted and bobbypinned into a lil bun

... BUT after mwedzi's updo and bun tutorial i feel inspired to try new styles

Twists for 1 week. Twistout for about 2-3 days. The occasionally afro-puff...

My more than likely, my hair is in some type of twist style.

I need to be more creative...:rolleyes:

Twists for 1 week. I usually do it on wet hair and have the front parted on the side so it hangs like a bob. Take the twists out and keep the same shape for the first 3 days, then morph into a textured afro. I want to try wearing an updo for a week. I've done it with twists and it looked nice.

Back