Naturals. Why are you staying natural?

ajargon02

Jessy55 said:
Agree!!! :)

I don't like the idea of permanently altering something that nature or God has given me, when there is really nothing inherently wrong or ugly about it. My staying natural is part of me feeling good about me and accepting me as I am. When I have an urge for straight hair, I just press my hair.

Well I have only had limited perms in my life anyway. I like my hair.Sometimes it's a pain in my butt, IMHO I have no clue what to do w/ my hair when it's straight but to just let it hang(which is like everyone else) or to ponytail it. For me it's just a disaster! :( Plus my hair can't take a perm, and just as I have quoted, being natural for me, is a part of me accepting me. I am fine just as god made me. It may be seen as different or a fad, but for me it's not. It's just so much deeper to me than that. I when I have the urge for "straight" hair, I will braid it, or do a rollerset. When I want my hair back, just taking out the braids, or washing my hair sends me so much joy! :D

firecracker

I never had it so easy til I went bald w/texturizer from 1997 til 2002. The quest for natural hair 3/05 was just an experiment in the beginning. Now I feel free and liberated. I had two moments of discouragement earlier but the wonderful ladies on the board helped me out. My natural hair says I am comfy in my own skin and I am retro fool!:lachen:

carameldiva

I love wash and go.

I hated being a slave to the touch up.

I love having my man run his fingers thru my hair it is a huge turn on for me and him.

i love my curls- wouldn't trade them in for the world.

I have accepted my shrinkage with no problem- but it amazes others to see my length when i wear my hair straight.

i love the versatility and having great smelling hair which i can really concentrate on now.

nfynit_812

I decided in November 2003 to stop getting touch-ups and see how long my hair could get if I just kept getting it braided for a year or two. As my new growth started coming in, I loved how thick and wavy it was! I decided to just keep getting my hair braided to protect my hair until I decided what to do with my hair. I've read threads about naturals who loved thier hair and how they embraced their newfound crown and glory! So, I BC what was left back in May, and I'm excited to see where my natural hair takes me. I live in boxbraids and cornrows!

natstar

my last relaxer was like in 1997 I believe. I stay natural because I am doing a good job at keeping my hair up and in good shape. If I got a relaxer again, it would be like starting all over again and learning what's good and what's not. When I did have a relaxer I abused my hair (no lhcf back then). I know I would eventually learn the proper way to handle relaxed hair, but I just think-if it ain't broke, why fix it? ;)

Shalilac

patient1 said:
You've all summed it up so ~beautifully~ in over a dozen different ways. I've got daughters, nieces, students who need to witness someone comfortable with and reveling in their natural hair.

This is who I am. This is what I choose. AND this is the hair that chose me. I gotta wear the crown the Creator gave me.

P1
I just added your quote to my siggy. That was very well put!

Ayeshia

Just cuz...Relaxed hair cost a fortune to keep up with. I dont have the moula for touchups, weekly flat irons etc, rollersets. And I dont have time to learn. So curly it stays :)

darkflame213

Initially, I stayed natural b/c the proof was in the pudding: My hair grew longer than ever in its natural state. Even if I failed to care for it properly or even ‘abused’ it, it was still longer than when I pressed or relaxed on a regular basis. Later, I realized how much money I was saving. This year, I have become aware of the spiritual side of being natural.

I love wash n go
I love being fearless in the rain

Sridevi

I'm staying natural because the alternative was to go bald. When I was relaxed I was constantly burning my scalp and my hair was getting progressively thinner and more damaged. I actually went to the doctor to have tests run because my hair was falling out and I thought something was wrong with me. After tests determined there was nothing wrong with me the doctor suggested that I stopped relaxing.

Fast Foward to today. My last relaxer was December 2003. I transitioned without a big chop and have been fully natural since earlier this year. My hair is thicker and currently as long as it ever got when relaxed (several inches past my shoulders) and still growing. I straightened it for the first time in months and was shocked at the length (shrinkage is really deceptive). The cost and maintenence of my natural hair is minimal. I wash and condition once weekly and do a braid out and it lasts until the next wash. In the morning it takes but a few minutes to finger style my ringlets. When I want it straight, which is usually every few months, I just flat iron. I get the best of both worlds.

mkstar826

supersonic
patient1 said:
You've all summed it up so ~beautifully~ in over a dozen different ways. I've got daughters, nieces, students who need to witness someone comfortable with and reveling in their natural hair.

This is who I am. This is what I choose. AND this is the hair that chose me. I gotta wear the crown the Creator gave me.

P1

that's another reason why i am staying natural. i know it would have been a lot harder if i didn't see other natural women doing it and doing it proudly. it made me realize that going natural wasn't something to fear but something to celebrate. seeing people comfortable with something that has been so demonized is so refreshing and necessary.

beautiful answer patient1 :)

hopeg80

I love the strength and thickness that I have with my natural hair. No more chemical burns or curling iron mishaps. I let my hair win the nappy battle and I will never relax my hair again.

Brownie

Ayeshia said:
Just cuz...Relaxed hair cost a fortune to keep up with. I dont have the moula for touchups, weekly flat irons etc, rollersets. And I dont have time to learn. So curly it stays :)

Ayeshia,
I love your hair. BTW, what happened to your highlights? I really liked the pictures with those.

SilkyandSmooth

I want to stay natural because I love my hair. I believe my hair is much healthier now that I no longer use chemicals or heat. I've thought about texturizing (relaxing is out of the question) but I really don't want to put any chemicals in my hair. So natural it is!

Cinnabuns

I like being natural because:

1) I had horrible scalp orblems when I permed
2) I can use any kind of product on my hair and not worry if my hair will break from it
3) I did the big cchop this May and I don't want to look back
4) I can wear more natural hair styles then I did before
5) My boyfriend loves it :kiss:
6) 82% less breakage
7) 95% less shedding
8) I really like the copliments I'm geting on my fro
9) I spend less time on my hai rnow that it is natural
10) I really like my natural hair more then my permed hair