New! Eco Styler Black Castor & Flaxseed Oil Gel

Kurlee

Black castor oil and flaxseed oil. The ingredients are the same as the others just with those 2 things different.

Water/Aqua/Eau, Carbomer, Triethanolamine, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Limus Usitatissimum (Linseed) Seed Oil, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, PVP, Glycerin, Phenoxyethanol, Polysorbate 20, Tetrasodium EDTA, Fragrance (Parfum), D-Limonene, Love and Pride
Does anyone know if any of the ingredients are not so great? TIA. :smile:
The biggest one would probably be Triethanolamine.

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
Ha, I was feelimg nostalgic. I didn't think anyone would really notice. Just did it on Friday :)

I noticed! I have mine open as well. I hope you post some hair photos in there. I just love, love, love, your inventory of hair products. That in itself is priceless!

back2relaxed

I just bought the Coconut one yesterday, I was looking for the flaxseed, as I love Aunt Jackie's flaxseed gel. Of course they didn't have it. I'll have to stalk my beauty supply until they get it! The coconut one has a very different texture than the clear Ecostyler. It feels more like a styler less like a gel if that makes sense. I love it.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I just bought the Coconut one yesterday, I was looking for the flaxseed, as I love Aunt Jackie's flaxseed gel. Of course they didn't have it. I'll have to stalk my beauty supply until they get it! The coconut one has a very different texture than the clear Ecostyler. It feels more like a styler less like a gel if that makes sense. I love it.

Does Aunt Jackie's flaxseed gel actually help your wash-and-go's dry more elongated? What do you like about it? One of these days I know I'll try it, but the mixed reviews have kept me from doing so thus far.

so1913

So I've used it twice so far. Sorry, no pics this go round lol, but I'll try to capture some as I continue to test out the product.

Pros: It is not a 10 hold like the crystal or olive oil gels. It dries soft for the most part, any "hardness" where I may have used more gel ended up softening within the day after adding oil and scrunching. It dries with a natural look (not wet looking) and I don't find it drying at all and have not experienced any flaking.

Cons: The soft hold doesn't allow my wash n go to last a full week before. By day 3 it seems to loose definition, more in the less textured areas at the crown of my head, and is ready to go up into a puff. I'm still experimenting with what I'm using under it which could impacting the hold and the amount of wear I get out of my wash n go.

Overall I like the natural hold and volume in my wash and go that I get, the fact that it doesn't flake and it's not drying. I did like using it on my edges to slick up into a puff after day 3.

If you are looking for an Eco Style Gel with a softer hold than the other 10 level gels, you should try it. I don't know if there are any long term effects as I've only used it 2 weeks, but so far no drying . Is it worth spending an arm and a leg to try to get your hands on, no. I'd suggest you wait until you can to get it locally or find reasonable online shipping.

so1913

So I had a major fail this week with this product!

I decided to try with a liquid/water based leave in since when I used the creamier leave ins it didn't seem to get much wear from my wash n go.

FLAKE CITY!!! Especially after I worked out last night...the bad thing is that I didn't notice it until about midnight when I took my hair down from being up for the gym to go to bed. It was too late to do anything about it, so I had to cowash this morning and slick my hair back in a low bun for the day. My Director is also a natural and we talk hair an product swap all the time, I also gave her this gel. She said that she saw people recommend using products with black castor oil like the Shea Moisuture Black Castor oil leave-in as well as pure black castor oil under it which she did. Her hair looks great and not a flake to be seen.

I'm a little traumatized, because I was walking around all day with flakes without realizing it lol. Not sure how much more experimenting I'll do with it. It just may not be that great for my hair, but I have seen great results in person (my Director) as well as online. It's worth trying out, especially if you find it locally since it's so cheap.

I'll let you guys know if I try it again with my bosses recommendations.

Last edited:

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
So I had a major fail this week with this product!

I decided to try with a liquid/water based leave in since when I used the creamier leave ins it didn't seem to get much wear from my wash n go.

FLAKE CITY!!! Especially after I worked out last night...the bad thing is that I didn't notice it until about midnight when I took my hair down from being up for the gym to go to bed. It was too late to do anything about it, so I had to cowash this morning and slick my hair back in a low bun for the day. My Director is also a natural and we talk hair an product swap all the time, I also gave her this gel. She said that she saw people recommend using products with black castor oil like the Shea Moisuture Black Castor oil leave-in as well as pure black castor oil under it which she did. Her hair looks great and not a flake to be seen.

I'm a little traumatized, because I was walking around all day with flakes without realizing it lol. Not sure how much more experimenting I'll do with it. It just may not be that great for my hair, but I have seen great results in person (my Director) as well as online. It's worth trying out, especially if you find it locally since it's so cheap.

I'll let you guys know if I try it again with my bosses recommendations.

My issue with ecostyler has always been flaking, so I'm going to wait until I see it in front of me in the store.

discodumpling

Still on the hunt but I found the coconut this past weekend & have used it 2X so far. It's ok it reminds me of pink Eco in that it my end result is a fluffy wash n go. It is a level 10 but doesn't seem to weigh my hair down (the way I like it) like the Olive or the Argan oil versions. I was reluctant to try the coconut based on many you tube reviews . But I have learned that your Eco result is dependent on your leave in. Aunt Jackie's Quench has worked with all my Eco gels.

Last edited:

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
My beauty supply said they ordered the castor oil one with their regular Eco Styler stock, and it didn't arrive. I'm going to check back later because they planned to order from some place else.

discodumpling

Found: Eco Black Castor & Flaxseed Gel. Finally in stock all over my neighborhood. Glad to see they didn't jack the price up due to outrageous demand on our part!
I copped 2 16oz jars for $2.99 ea. I'm dying to try it out but i've got too much on my plate today (Sunday dinner ain't even been prepped!) so it will have to wait. I'll be back with my review.