New for My Do

ReignLocks

I created this thread because as I go through my HHJ, I am finding out a TON of things that work great for my hair :yep: while others are a complete NO-GO :nono:. As you find things that work or don't, please add them here for other ladies to read to include products, advice, etc...

I have learned so much from you! As we continue to learn, I want us to continue to pass on more valuable information to newbies as well as vets. Hopefully having such a plethora of knowledge in one location will become a valuable tool for everyone.

Please let us know what your hair type is and whether or not you are relaxed or natural!

HHJ

ReignLocks

My hair type is 4B, coarse yet fragile.

:nono: Things that don't work for me are:
Extra strength relaxers and relaxing bone straight
GHE
Not wrapping my hair at night
Cholesterol

:lick:Things that DEF work:
Moisturizing daily
Co-Washing my hair every 3 days
Sulfur oil mix
AS I AM leave-in and cleansing shampoo
Vitamins and water intake daily

Last edited:

ReignLocks

:bouncy::bump::bump::bouncy:

Come on ladies! I KNOW you have something to share that you found out about your hair this week or along your journey.

sherrimberri

Natural type 4

Things that work-
Baggying nightly/GHE
Moisturize. & seal daily
Leave in conditioner
Diluted shampoo
Limiting my use of heat and stylists
Protective styling

Doesnt work-
Blowdrying. & flat ironing weekly
Cutting hair every month
Regular salon visits

I'd like to learn more about henna and strong proteins to help stop my breakage.

Last edited:

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
:bouncy::bump::bump::bouncy:

Come on ladies! I KNOW you have something to share that you found out about your hair this week or along your journey.

It looks like you want more responses. From the title of your thread, you're probably not going to attract many posters because most people probably do not know what you mean by "New for My Do".

Here's a thread about things that didn't work for people's hair: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=587879

And there are several more threads regarding the topic of what did and didn't work for someone's hair.

Mjon912

4 something...Textlaxed...
Dislikes
-My hair hates HATES hates co-washing, I tried it for a while and my hair turned to mush, and I was keeping up with the protein
-Nexxus split ender- maybe it helped but my hair was so stiff, I actually hated it
- air drying, I turn into a tangled poofy poodle looking mess
- my scalp itches like crazy no matter what I put on it if I wait more then a week and a half to wash
Loves
- deep conditioning, leave in, sealing and roller setting once every 7-10days
-Kemi Oyl and Argan oil..I have really dry hair and for some these oils may be to heavy or they only need a drop but I can use a half of a bottle of either while I'm roller setting and my hair is still as light as a feather
- loves to be wrapped at night, I cant just throw a bonnet on my head and go to sleep, when I have I end up with full on knots n the am...it would be nice to wake up with my hair out one day

ReignLocks

Poohbear said:
It looks like you want more responses. From the title of your thread, you're probably not going to attract many posters because most people probably do not know what you mean by "New for My Do".

Here's a thread about things that didn't work for people's hair: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=587879

And there are several more threads regarding the topic of what did and didn't work for someone's hair.

Thanks! That's the south in me....we call hair styles, do's. No biggie....

melisandre

Works:
-Moisturizing every other day
-Sealing ends daily
-Cornrows under a wig
-Henna/Cassia treatments
-Weekly deep conditioning
-Washing in braids

Doesn't work:
-Finger detangling/combing
-Washing loose hair
-"Clarifying" shampoos AKA completely-strip-your-hair-and-rob-it-of-every-bit-of-moisture-shampoo (I don't think my hair ever gets so much build up that it can't be handled by a regular cleansing shampoo)
-Over manipulation

ReignLocks

melisandre said:
Works:
-Moisturizing every other day
-Sealing ends daily
-Cornrows under a wig
-Henna/Cassia treatments
-Weekly deep conditioning
-Washing in braids

Doesn't work:
-Finger detangling/combing
-Washing loose hair
-"Clarifying" shampoos AKA completely-strip-your-hair-and-rob-it-of-every-bit-of-moisture-shampoo (I don't think my hair ever gets so much build up that it can't be handled by a regular cleansing shampoo)
-Over manipulation

What do you mean "washing loose hair"?

youwillrise

hair stats - natural, mainly type 4 (3c at the nape), fine strands, not very dense at all, high porosity.

what works:

//cleansing with bentonite clay and shampoo bars
//DC'ing once a week and mixing in raw manuka honey (warning...expensive!)
//spraying a water/acv mix after a wash
//applying protein in the form of hydrolyzed keratin diluted w/ water before moisturizing (only once weekly, after my wash/dc...not every time i moisturize lol)
//using the LOC moisture method (applying liquid, oil and cream in that order)
//baggy/ghe
//protective styling (for me, mostly twists) with my ends pinned up most of the time (not always, just most of the time)
//conditioner rinses 2 to 4 times a week.

what does not work:

//wearing my hair loose for more than a day or so.
//not re-wetting/conditioning my hair multiple times during the week. my hair craves the rinsing in between actual wash/dc days.
//too much comb/brush usage
//sulfates, silicones, too many unnatural products (i do use some not completely natural products, but i try to stick with mostly natural)
//non-sulfate liquid shampoos. they're just as bad (stripping) as sulfate based shampoos for me.
//heat
//wearing protective styles for more than a week or week.5
//wearing twists/braids that are small/mini

4bslbound

When she washes, she sections it. Each section is then braided or twisted to decrease tangles and knots which can result in breakage. Some people will take each braid apart individually, wash it, then rebraid. Then move to the next one.

4bslbound

^^ it's almost impossible(and maybe pointless) to do with short hair. But as it grows to shoulder length /APL it is vital form retention for many naturals

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
My hair type is 4B and my strands are thick.

Things that work:

Sulfur Oil
Low Manipulation
99% Protective Styling
Prepoos
DC'ing 2x weekly
ACV Rinses
Cones and Sulfates
M&S'ing 2x day/Night

Things that don't work:

Cowashing
GHE
Excessive heat
Frequent Trims
Shampooing infrequently
Using Brushes

melisandre

ReignLocks

I mean shampooing my hair when it is out, as opposed to in braids. My hair is natural and it gets tangled easily when it's free. When I shampoo my hair without braiding it first, it tangles more -- which can lead to knots and breakage.

ReignLocks

TracieBLovely said:
My hair type is 4B and my strands are thick.

Things that work:

Sulfur Oil
Low Manipulation
99% Protective Styling
Prepoos
DC'ing 2x weekly
ACV Rinses
Cones and Sulfates
M&S'ing 2x day/Night

Things that don't work:

Cowashing
GHE
Excessive heat
Frequent Trims
Shampooing infrequently
Using Brushes

What happens when you trim frequently? I thought that you were suppose to. Interesting....