New LHCF Members: Introduce Yourselves!

BronzyBella

:wave:

Hi everyone. I joined about a week or so ago but like most newbies, having been stalking these boards for quite a while.

I'm a new, (currently) stay-at-home mom, who is determined to take great care of my hair, skin, body, etc...

MochaSilk

Greetings, Beautiful Women!! I posted this in another thread, but this is more visible. I'm Tahja Starr and I joined LHCF on Halloween. :) I began this journey 6 weeks ago, after my last relaxer. Unfortunately, I didn't get pics from that day. I've decided to stretch as long as possible.

I've used the flat-iron three times so far, and I LOVE it! Once I acquire a couple round brushes and a good dryer, I'm going to do monthly Dominican Blowout.

I started pampering my hair 6 weeks ago, and I've got 1/4 to 3/4" new growth. I've got 4a relaxed hair, THICK. Below the nape in the back, ear to chin length around the rest.

My regimen at the moment:
*Moisturize w/ Motions 2-3x daily, oil on ends & hairline.
*Scarf and updo's w/ PhonyTail (falls for performances)
*Wash 2-3x week. (I dance, teach, do cardio & yoga 3-4x week)
*Protein weekly. (ApHogee smells awful, gonna try a homemade mask soon)
*Flat-iron bi-weekly.
*Vitamins: Women's Multivitamin, Vitamin E capsules

I was hesitant to use occasional heat & brushes, but my hair takes to it brilliantly. My hair is beautifully dyed with Bigen's Oriental Black, but I read about the levels of PPD in it, and never again. Looking into henna down the road.

I also want to say THANKS to everyone for being a part of this forum. It's heartwarming to join such a positive and supporting community of women. Rarely have I encountered women that have an honest desire to encourage & help other women.

I've already learned so much from you! I'm inspired, enlightened, and look forward to my own journey to getting my hair as healthy and as long as nature allows.

nycutiepie

Hi Everyone,

I'm nycutiepie and I've been a member for a while, but I guess you can say I was "in the closet." Well, it's time for me to come out and participate. I am a recovering "weave addict" and I'm proud to say I've been weave free since September. Wow, I feel like this is AA or something :) . Anyway, this is a wonderful forum and I have gained a wealth of information from the lovely ladies here.

My hair grows pretty quickly and I'm tasting APL..........some strands are already there. My problem is my edges and the fact that my hair is thin. I have pictures but I am soooo ashamed to let anyone see this baldness around the sides. I was weaving my hair on and off for the last couple of years and I think I may have killed my follicles around my edges. I was going to a hairdresser that had me believing that the weaves should be tight so that they could last longer. Now I think I may be permanently ruined in that area. The dermatologist says he doesn't see any scar tissue but it just isn't growing. Well, I'm using mtg, taking vitamins, no heat, etc. and I'll see what happens in a couple of months.

I just want to finish up by saying that I'm glad to be a part of this forum and look forward to hearing and sharing information.

Namilani

I'm a newbie and have, oh, only 30-something posts already! But greetings, again! I'll use this one to get more in-depth:

A-Squad: KeraCare shampoo, Humecto, Leave-in, Oil Moisturizer, setting lotion, and itchy scalp shampoo. Proclaim Oil Sheen, glossing polish, and spray-on glosser. A variety of natural oils
B-Squad (for alternating, co-washes, and such): VO5 Moisture Milks, Motions stuff, Perm Repair Setting Lotion, and I pretty much will try anything with tempting ingredients by known brands.
Coming Soon: Entire KeraCare line!

My regimine isn't set in stone, but will be before 2007 comes in. B/c I wasn't working I had to substitute my KeraCare with ANYTHING (instead of just maybe Motions or something), and my hair regressed some. My routine is set, however:

*Wash at least once weekly and deep condition.
*Pre-poo (with steamy towel and conditioner) if water is touching my hair for any reason!
*Roller set (under dryer) or wet rap and airdry.
*I'm more physically active and take one-a-days or any other vit a run across that day (lately it's been Vitamin E).
*Most weeks I don't use any heat. At most, once a week.
*Moisturize/seal nightly and tie hair up in du-rag.
*Co-wash as needed.
*Relax every 8 weeks.
Trims as needed (usually every 8 weeks).
*Long or short hair, I always wore my hair in "protective" styles unless I had an event. So I've been bunning, clipping, and now that it's longer I wear a ponytail.

Tallulah Belle

Hello everyone - I've been lurking for a few months now, think this is only my second post. I found LHCF thanks to a major setback at my regular hairdresser's (I'd been going there for 13 years). They burned my scalp really badly with relaxer three times in a row and most of my hair fell out. They even managed to blame it on me! But I'm in recovery now, and have learnt so much thanks to you ladies.

I'm now about an inch past shoulder length (apart from a few patches), and am trying to work out how to eliminate heat from my regime. I'm going to buy some rollers this weekend and have a go at a rollerset, even though it sounds horribly difficult :perplexed

Hopefully I'm on my way to healthy hair!

Thanks everyone,
T x

WhipEffectz1

Tallulah Belle said:
Hello everyone - I've been lurking for a few months now, think this is only my second post. I found LHCF thanks to a major setback at my regular hairdresser's (I'd been going there for 13 years). They burned my scalp really badly with relaxer three times in a row and most of my hair fell out. They even managed to blame it on me! But I'm in recovery now, and have learnt so much thanks to you ladies.

I'm now about an inch past shoulder length (apart from a few patches), and am trying to work out how to eliminate heat from my regime. I'm going to buy some rollers this weekend and have a go at a rollerset, even though it sounds horribly difficult :perplexed

Hopefully I'm on my way to healthy hair!

Thanks everyone,
T x

Are you from Louisiana because we have a city name Tallulah?

erin558

I guess i'll introduce myself again.

My name is Erin and I think I joined in May but I just started really posting a lot. I live in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. My hair goal for right now is just SL hair that is sort of even I guess. My hair is in a bunch of lengths ( layers. :( ) and my hair is almost past my neck so its kind of at a weird stage right now. When I first joind I got sucked into PJism and noticed that my hair was NOT enjoying it. Most of my life I just stuck to only a few products and my hair was the bomb then so im going back to that. When I was putting all of those leave-ins, lotions, oils, etc my hair didn't even have body anymore. I want to take better care of my hair but I also want to be able to wear it out and enjoy it.

I enjoy reading/writing about entertainment news and what not. As you can see in my siggy I have an entertainment news blog that I write with a few friends! Check it out! I also have another online community that I started in 2004 called Oh No They Didn't on livejournal.

I am learning a lot of amazing things from being on this board. I'm glad I found it!

kitchen_tician

Welcome Newbies and lurkers!!! I was never a lurker. I just jumped in immediately! :lol:

I'm not new, but it's good to see you Teressa9! :wave: Where have you been? and when did you hit the AZ? I hope you're enjoying it! :)

Last edited:

sheba125

Hi this is Sheba.....lurked for months and joined in September. I was following the crown and glory method, but totally forgot about moisture...so although I had good results they can be better. My hair if finally on the road to recovery and it's looking and feeling great.........

lovely008

I'm definetly a newbie! My name is Debbie and I got the link to this community from another black hair community and i was so overwhelmed and excited by the useful information and amazing heads of hair. I used to have really thick and long hair when i was younger but my mom was the one that took care of my hair. As soon as I took over my hair care, it all went downhill :perplexed
Luckily, i found the site just when I cut my hair really short because i wasn't taking care of it AT ALL. So, i'm starting over and i'm trying to treat my hair right this time but it's been hard because i don't know how to handle my short hair and i still flatiron everyday! My hair goal is to get it as long and thick as it was and I definetly want healthy hair! Also, i want to find a way to make it look nice without flatironing everyday!

Irispj26

Hello ladies my name is Iris and I've been a lurker for about a year. I finally joined the forum last month because I wanted to get tips on how to maintain healthy hair and I knew this forum was the right place based on alot of the pics I saw. I just started using Keracare and I'm very happy so far. My goal is waistlength and I'm a big fan of Macherieamour's hair which is absolutely gorgeous. Right now I'm 3C relaxed close to bra strap. I'm on the works of getting pics soon. I love looking at all the hair pics on this forum and hair types it's all beautiful to me.i:) eamour

DreamLife

Hello everyone! I joined a couple months ago and have been on here like crazy! I have had a crazy hair journey like many others on here. Due to stress and overprocessing I had to do a BC of my shoulder length hair in March of 2004. It was about 2 inches in the top and shaved in the back. Without LHCF and with the help of scissor happy stylists, it took me about 2 years to get to near shoulder length. My friend told me about LHCF over the summer and after about a week I joined. I've already spent way too much on products (I'm a PJ already) but I'm really looking for a good regimen. From LHCF I have started protective styling about 5 days a week with a bun, CO washes and minimal direct heat. I just want my hair to be healthy again and long by the time of my undergrad graduation (May 2008)!

scarcity21

hi, my name is Audrey. Ive been lurking for a couple of months now until I decided to join towards the end of October. I usually have some kind of braids in my hair, so i really do not know what products work for my hair. I have natural 4b hair and I think my hair is the slowest growing hair ever....(maybe bcos i dont take my vits like im supposed to)
Anyway, I joined inorder to get some great tips and/or info on how to achieve healthy, long and beautiful hair.
thanks all you ladies for the tips so far. I swear im addicted to this hair board. The vast wealth of info is extremely overwhelming. right now i have my hair in shoulder length kinky twists that i did on my own (10/30/06). two days ago I started the baggy method ive heard so much about but was too lazy to try. I sprayed my roots with my MTG, WGO, Parnevu T-tree braid spray and African royal braid spray ( to mask the smell) put on a processing cap and tied down with a scarf right b4 i went to sleep. In the moring my hair was slightly damp but dried really fast. I will continue to do this to see if there is any improvement in my hair when I remove my braid extensions.
To all the ladies that welcomed me in my starter "Hi" thread, thank u ...i feel the love:)

Last edited:

ladyblu07

Hi everyone! My name is Cynthia, and I've been a member for a couple of months or so. I found out about LHCF from lurking on the BHM website. Growing my hair is not so much of a problem, it's keeping it from shedding. I moved to VERY DRY Colorado a few years ago and I've been shedding like a mangy dog ever since :( . So I'm searching to find the best moisturizer and any other tips that will help stop breakage. I did just see that a few other people on the board are having success with using grease (of all things!!!), so I think I'll be making a trip to tha store tomorrow! But thanks to all you ladies for your ideas and for your hair inspiration!!!

chenai

Hi, my name is Chenai, I live in London and I joined LHCF two days ago. I found this forum after I googling "black hair care tips". I currently have chin length relaxed 4b hair which I am currently wearing in braids that
I did myself. I have learned so much in the past couple of days on how to take proper care of my braids, and my own hair when I take the braids out next month. My goals for my hair are to thicken it up, and grow it to healthy bra strap length.

MsBttrfly23

Hey ladies! Welcome to all! I am still I guess kind of a newbie. I joined a month or so ago (paid subscription). I live in Houston and have been a frequent lurker of the site since 2004 (maybe 2003?). Decided to join when I made the serious decision to go natural and not turn back. I started the journey a couple of times and finally made myself do it by cutting a huge chunk of permed hair off (too scared to cut it all) so that I could really committ to the journey. Still have a lot of permed ends but I trim them off slowly until I am 100% natural...hopefully by summer of 2007...

Happy journey to all of you ladies...whatever road you are on!

thefineprint

Hi! I've been lurking for about 2 years! I had another username but it expired or something. Anyway, I'm always on the lookout for new things to try (MN challenge sounds interesting). My hair is currently in the best shape its ever been in, no split ends, no shedding or breakage, etc. Ultimately my goal is to get to bra strap and after that...who knows?:)

I condition wash my natural hair every other day and style in twists/twist out or a wash n go. 8 months of doing this and so far so good. glad to be here!

ms*x

hi! i'm Ericka and am new here and attempting to grow my hair out from a drastically short hair style i received in october. i am taking 2 years off from my "life" to dedicate myself to becoming my personal best, hence my name "from [age] 36 to 38"...i'll be 36 11/28, so it's almost that time for the ultimate commitment...

and i would like to thank all the ladies for assisting me and keeping me well entertained so far...you ladies ROCK!