New Pics of my 1st Dominican Blowout

tlmack

Ladies,

I had my firt Dominican Blowout yesterday. I was very happy with the results and the price. I have non-relaxed hair and this was the first time I saw my hair straightened without using a pressing comb.

The stylists at the salon are trying to convince me to trim my hair especially in the front were I have the most color damage, but I am really trying to just see what my hair can do if I let it grow without trimming it for like 6 months to 1 yr. I want to gain some length. I've been stuck around this shoulder length for a long time (years) and I want to achieve brastrap length.

Please take a look at my photos and let me know what you think about the trimming issue. I'm not sure what to do.

To trim or not to trim? That is the question.

http://public.fotki.com/tlmack/first_dominican/

psswd: LHCF

Carlie

Ooooh! Your hair came out so nice and the color is pretty too!

My 2 cents:
The way I look at trimming, I'd say if it's split then trim it...if it's not than keep treating and nursing your hair back to health. You haven't been at LHCF long, so if you keep applying what you've learned here, I'm sure your hair will do a complete 360 in a few months.

Jaelin

I really couldn't tell from the picture of the front how bad a shape it was in. The hair at the back looked very even to me, and in good condition. I would say about your hair in the front, that unless it's breaking off, you should try to work with it and maintain the lenght if that's what you want to do, and trim when you are ready. There are things you can do to strenghten the hair in that section in the meantime. I like biosilk for strenghtening hair.

On another note, you've made me think that perhaps I should get a blowout, your hair looks so good. I'm a bridesmaid for a wedding in Oct. and I've been trying to figure out if I was going to go to the salon and get twists, some other natural hairstyle or do something else. How has the blowout held up? I would only need it to last for 48 hrs.

tlmack

[ QUOTE ]
Carlie said:
Ooooh! Your hair came out so nice and the color is pretty too!

My 2 cents:
The way I look at trimming, I'd say if it's split then trim it...if it's not than keep treating and nursing your hair back to health. You haven't been at LHCF long, so if you keep applying what you've learned here, I'm sure your hair will do a complete 360 in a few months.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's definitely split in the front. I asked her if she could only trim the front and she shook her head no and smiled. There's a slight language barrier, but I think she understood me. She did say that the back wasn't bad and to me that infers that the back doesn't need trimming.

There was another stylist, other than the one actually doing my hair that was really pushing the trim. She said I need a "face rim" to have the hair definition around my face and to get a style.

I don't know if I care about style - I care more about length. I saw some progress pics from a young lady on this sight who didn't trim her hair for a year. It went from her ear to my length in one year without trimming. I feel like whatever growth is occurring keeps getting trimmed off and I just want to see what growth I can actually achieve if I don't trim, but I do know that the front is damaged and could use some more definition, but I don't think it looks HORRIBLE. I can live with it especially if I keep doing updos, buns, ponytails for protective styling.

They were trying to say that I could eliminate doing the protective styling if I didn't get presses anymore and kept coming there.

In all fairness, I do have to say that the actual stylist that was doing my hair was not pushing me at all. It was one other stylist and a Af-Am customer.

tlmack

[ QUOTE ]
Jaelin said:
I really couldn't tell from the picture of the front how bad a shape it was in. The hair at the back looked very even to me, and in good condition. I would say about your hair in the front, that unless it's breaking off, you should try to work with it and maintain the lenght if that's what you want to do, and trim when you are ready. There are things you can do to strenghten the hair in that section in the meantime. I like biosilk for strenghtening hair.

On another note, you've made me think that perhaps I should get a blowout, your hair looks so good. I'm a bridesmaid for a wedding in Oct. and I've been trying to figure out if I was going to go to the salon and get twists, some other natural hairstyle or do something else. How has the blowout held up? I would only need it to last for 48 hrs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jaelin,
Thank you for your encouragement. I think I'll try to get some biosilk for the front. Is it conditione or just like a nightly use treatment like oil?

I would definitely recommend a dominican blowout. I will say that when the root is being straightened to be prepared for a lot of heat. I think that really the brush is what heats up and when the brush touches your scalp, it kind of burns, but not like a relaxer burn - just a blowdryer burn, as soon as they move the dryer down the hair shaft you're fine.

The blowout is definitely holding up so far so good. I'll let you know if it doesn't last a full 48 hours, but my expectation is that it will last a full week until my next washing.

Carlie

It sounds like the focus there was obviously on style and not fulfilling the customer's wishes. I don't understand why they wouldn't just trim the front if that's what you wanted.
Is it possible that you could trim the splits yourself ... or maybe get someone you know/trust to do it for you?

Leslie_C

ok I think I know what u mean. My hair is a little shorter and thinner in the front than the back, its from where i used to wear a phony pony all the time high up and the stress point was on my sides.

My last touch up my stylist(also dominican) just kind of shaped it up to get rid of some of the front thin ends. If u dont mind the back being longer than the front(which mine always has been) then I would go for that, it is cut at an angle to where it gradually gets longer towards the back, it looks like a U shape. I really liked it after it was done and I think its flattering. Also its still long enough to go back into my ponytails,buns, etc.

I think to get rid of the damage in the front but keep your length u might want to go for this look. She didnt take much off either, probably 1/4 an inch in the back and 1/2 inch or so in the front.

honeycomb719

Nice blow tlmack
. From what I can see, I dont think its a MUST to trim, the front, but if you want nice polished, crisp ends, then by all means do the trim. It'll grow back faster than you think

godzooki

they did a great job. Your hair is beautiful! I don't think we have dominican salons out here in the Bay Area because I'd get one.

PretteePlease

#fakeworkouts
your blowout looks great
i have some damage in the front too and what didn't break off just gets trimmed as needed, i would advise that you only trim what is split.

tlmack

Maybe I could try and trim the front splits myself. I never thought about that.

I may look into trying to do that. Thank you for that option.

Jaelin

[ QUOTE ]
tlmack said:

Thank you for your encouragement. I think I'll try to get some biosilk for the front. Is it conditione or just like a nightly use treatment like oil?

[/ QUOTE ]

A leave in conditioner, the bottle says use on wet/dry hair as often as necessary. Here's more info on BioSilk Silk Therapy

Hadiyah

Looks good to me too! I wouldn't trim , but trust me there are ways around the trim, like trying the ends challange, deep conditioning esp the ends, and protective styling, those stylist my be scissor happy and in the event that they trim to much, that will be upsetting!

J

JenniferMD

Very very nice blowout. I'm in the same boat as you with the trimming thing, I'm going to take the plunge and let them trim my hair with my next visit. You have to do whatever makes you happy. I would suggest you dust your ends a little and see how that looks first. I've been going to my Dom stylist for about 4 months now and I trust her to trim my hair, but seeing as how this was your first visit I wouldn't trust that stylist to "trim" your hair.

tlmack

Thanks everybody for your advice and encouragement. I appreciate it.

I've been pressing my hair for about 7-8 years. That's how long it was since my last relaxer.

What is the ends challenge?

Is it protective styling or something different?

Also, the blowout is going well - I expect it to last for a week until my next wash.

Tai

The blowout turned out really well.

I understand not wanting to trim. If it's split, trim it. If not, don't worry about it.

tlmack

Thank you everyone for your support with my hair! I appreciate your opinions and letting me know that you think it looks nice. Thank you so much.

tlmack

[ QUOTE ]
Vet27 said:
Your blowout looks nice. Did harlet do it?

Vet27

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, Harlet did do it. I was very pleased too.

tlmack

[ QUOTE ]
auntybe said:
Your hair look really good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you very much for the encouragement.