newbie - starting to transition

pinkfly

Hi All! I'm a newbie here. I'm just beginning to transition (if I don't chicken out again). I've been reading the threads and I'm completely confused on my hair type. I think I'm a coarse 2c with thick hair. Any tips on regimens, styles or stylists (in the Chicago area) that can help me stick with it this time would be greatly appreciated!!! I read in some of the posts about bagging and I'm going to try that right away. :grin:

BTW - I'm thinking of trying the Alter Ego and the Verifen. Any reviews?

pinkfly

Re: newbie - starting to transition - UPDATE HAVING SECOND THOUGHTS HELP!

So this morning getting ready for work was a nightmare!!! I washed my hair and with the shrinkage it was a bit of a challenge to get it into a decent bun. Plus it was a little greasy due to the extra moisturizing. I'm already having doubts about transitioning. I cut my hair into a bob with lots of layers due to breakage from heat in Dec 07 (big mistake :wallbash:) and I'm still trying to recover.

The issue with my hair is that if I get relaxers my hair cannot take a lot of heat. Unfortunately, almost every stylist that I've been to over does it with heat.

The one stylist who got my hair in really great shape told me to choose... heat and no perm or perm and minimal heat. I tried a texturizer or texlaxer once and I didn't like it. My hair grows out in a wave pattern with zero curl. It ended up looking very rough instead of smooth.

I know my hair is growing but I'm not getting any length. I think its due to 1)major shedding/possible breakage (extremly dry hair), 2)my stylist trimming off my progress and 3) all the layers. Has anyone gone through anything similar?

I'll try to post some pics of my hair later on tonight. Any opinions advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for writing a book...........

Odd One

Welcome!

If you dont like what a stylist is doing(with the heat and trims) why not just quit her? or just tell her to stop trimming? With all the experienced transitioners on this forum i believe youll catch many tips and end up taking care of your hair much better!

Carrie A

Hi there and welcome.

What are your reasons for transitioning? To decrease damage while wearing straight styles or to wear you hair in it's natural state?

Give a little more info.
I wouldn't worry too much about typing at this point if at all.
How much new growth do you have?
How long is your hair?
What is your current regimen?
What are your hair goals?

I would breakdown your original post to three threads to get the max info out of the responses.

danigurl18

Welcome!! When I was in that stage, I was in braids and I did the crown and glory method.. I can't find the link but if you type in crown and glory in google, it will come up.. HTH

silvergirl

ill wait till you post the pictures, because they will help a ton but congrats on your decision and welcome! my hair didnt grow much either when i had a relaxer because i was crazy on the heat. (i dont use heat anymore) but being natural has changed everything.

theres also alot of support and threads here about natural girls who do choose to straighten via heat and how to do that while still being on the grow :)

pinkfly

Thanks for the replies and the welcome.:yep: I'm going to take the advice and seperate the questions and start a new thread with pics.