Newgrowth itchies...how do you deal with it

gymfreak336

Does anyone else get those itchies where the newgrowth is making your scalp go all :spinning::spinning:

This is last stretch wasn't diffucult in terms of breakage or whatever, it was my scalp giving me the most problems. Does this happen to you, have you found possible solutions.

Qualitee

Yea this happens to me. The only thing I see the cures it is to wash my hair. Even if I just washed it:perplexed

PeggyFair

New growth causes itching?? This is new to me. Are you sure it just isn't a dry or dirty scalp that is causing the itching??

aloof one

When my hair starts tingling I massage my head. I also wash a little more frequently just because it makes my head feel better since I'm massaging my scalp.

I also celebrate lol, cause by the end of the week or two weeks or so I'll see a new wave or two of NG:rolleyes::grin:

For example, about a week or 2 back my head was tingling like crazy. It was tender for days on end and I had to wash at least twice a week to relieve it. Then all of a sudden after I had blowdried my hair one day I noticed almost an inch of NG formed up in two waves on my head. I was like, wtf? Hence the avi

gymfreak336

New growth causes itching?? This is new to me. Are you sure it just isn't a dry or dirty scalp that is causing the itching??

Nope its the newgrowth, the little curls sit against my scalp and the only thing that seems to relieve it is washing but my problem is that if that is the only way I can fix it, I will be washing every other day. If I could figure this out, I really could stretch longer.

PeggyFair

Nope its the newgrowth, the little curls sit against my scalp and the only thing that seems to relieve it is washing but my problem is that if that is the only way I can fix it, I will be washing every other day. If I could figure this out, I really could stretch longer.

But doesn't the curl sit against the scalp all the time anyway, whether it be new growth or old? Sorry, not trying to be difficult, just trying to understand.

gymfreak336

But doesn't the curl sit against the scalp all the time anyway, whether it be new growth or old? Sorry, not trying to be difficult, just trying to understand.

No need to apologize :) Its kinda like getting ingrown hairs. As my newgrowth gets longer and longer, once it gets wet and dries, it shrinks back up into little coils. When that happens parts of the hair kinda curl back into the scalp. This is why it gets worse the longer I stretch/more newgrowth I have. At about 12 weeks post, you can actually see little sores on my scalp from where this happens. It is worse in areas where my curl pattern is very tight.

aloof one

well if you're relaxed or texturized you can tell the difference between the new hair coming in and the hair that's been there. Like in my avi, I have blowdried my hair all over, but my NG refuses to straighten because it is very resistant. That's how i can tell my hair grew.:yep:

If you're natural you can tell too--- I mean if you look at your hair enough you'll notice you have a few more waves or curls or whatever at the scalp, and your hair got longer. Its not a particular science or anything, its just noticing that your hair grew, which typically happens when your head gets tender or itches like that (for some folks)

aloof one

No need to apologize :) Its kinda like getting ingrown hairs. As my newgrowth gets longer and longer, once it gets wet and dries, it shrinks back up into little coils. When that happens parts of the hair kinda curl back into the scalp. This is why it gets worse the longer I stretch/more newgrowth I have. At about 12 weeks post, you can actually see little sores on my scalp from where this happens. It is worse in areas where my curl pattern is very tight.

You have ingrown hairs on your scalp?:blush: I am so sorry for you. :nono:

ETA: I was answering the wrong question then, lol

gymfreak336

You have ingrown hairs on your scalp?:blush: I am so sorry for you. :nono:

ETA: I was answering the wrong question then, lol

Sorta kinda....its like you can see spots that the hair curl is starting to try to become in ingrown hair. I have to run my fingers through my scalp and physically pull my hair to each side to try to prevent that from happening. No matter what I do though, come week 10ish or 11ish I have little sore spots that sometime scab a little from this:sad: