Next Step in this BKT Disaster Fiasco .....

CynamonKis

Hi All:

After I saw major parts of my scalp exposed, due to severe shedding after my 12/10 BKT treatment, I decided that the natural remedies and over-the-counter hair products were INSUFFICIENT to deal with this problem expediently.

So, I decided to consult a Trichologist. She has started me on a regiment a hair strengthening, scalp cleansing and vitamin program, and laser scalp treatments. I will be doing this for 6 months and will let you know how it works out. I purchased the laser comb so I could do the treatments at home, and I see her once a month to monitor progress. I will be taking pictures so we can all see the progress and be informed about this. I have heard good things about laser treatments.

The vitamins have many of the herbs we have come to love for hair growth - biotin, saw palmetto, nettle, zinc, pumpkin seed oil extract, and other nutrients. I take these 2x per day.

The shampoo and conditioners have, mainly heavy duty DHT blockers. The regiment contains a pre-poo, and a nightly scalp treatment. After 3 hours I can STILL feel the stuff working on my scalp. I am to shampoo & condition every other day. The scalp treatment is daily.

The laser will be 3x per week. The laser I got is more powerful than the FDA-approved one (the HairMax Laser Comb is FDA-approved, mine will be a step up from that), but there are professional-strength lasers that run $2,500-3,000. The Trichologist said I didn't need that, and she will use the professional strength laser when I come in for my monthly treatments with her.

She is very knowledgeable of ALL the BKT treatments on the market. She said she would never have done BKT on my baby-fine hair. Still, great care must be taken with amount of heat used with BKT, and one size does not fit all. Also, the temperatures of many of the flat irons on the market don't test out to be what they are ADVERTISED to be, even the temperature controlled ones.

I do not want to get into too many details regarding the specifics of my treatment because it may very well become the subject of a lawsuit. I will say that the brand is advertised as having no formaldehyde, and the stylist has been in business for more than 30 years. Still, One month, my hair is nice and long, the next month I'm dealing with issues akin to pattern baldness! BKT works well for some, and when it works, it looks beautiful. But it is not for everyone, and there should be warnings about the side-effects and risks. Let the buyer beware.

Needless to say, I am heartbroken because I have painstakingly grown my hair, kept it natural for 6 years, and wish like heck I never listened to my stylist and gotten this done. I only hope this laser treatment brings my hair back!

ALSO if you are in the Philadelphia-Delaware-DC-New York area and need the name of an African-american, knowledgeable Trichologist, here's her info:

Zelda's Hair Clinic and Day Spa
Newport, DE
(302) 998-2221

Last edited:

Dellas

Wow!
I did not know BKT would hurt natural hair!
I am by no means an expert and have failed by getting on many bandwagons myself: Phyto, texlaxing, BKT, etc...
I have always blamed myself.

6 yrs being natural is a blow. I would pm sisterslick. I think she is one of the long time LHCF people whose advice I trust. I know there are others but she is coming to mind right now.

The Fine Art of Protein and Moisture Balancing for Black Hair Care - Associated Content from Yahoo! - associatedcontent.com

ebonyseas

I'm very sorry this happened to you. You seem to be in good/competent hands, so I'm sure you'll be able to bounce back in no time. Please let us know how things are progressing.

southerncitygirl

i will neva get bkt, its always sounded too good to be true.:sad: i hope your hair will come around very soon,op. you're in wonderful hands it seems:yep: i'm so sorry this happened to your hair:nono:

motherpopcorn562

That is so sad.I feel for you sister, stylist are often pushing new products at our expense. You sound like you have all the correct treatment now, so you should see an improvement soon. God bless!