NO Comb Method.

Do you practice the no combing method?

• Yes, I always practice no combing method.

Votes: 60 32.1%
  • Sometimes I practice it if it suits the occassion.

Votes: 69 36.9%
  • No, I would have too much tangles

Votes: 45 24.1%
  • No, I am used to using combs, brushes, etc.

Votes: 19 10.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

katblack

Has anyone else tried the no combing method. Before I was using the denman and getting so much shrinkage. I started my no combing method after watching a youtubers vidoe. I used part my twists with a comb but because it took so long to finish the twists I did the no comb method. That then evolved into not using a comb at all even when detangling. It has definetly helped my curls clump better.

So what I do in the shower while detangling is wet hair apply conditioners and run my fingers down my hair. The key is to always go in a downwards direction. HTH.:yep:

isawstars

I'm practicing this right now. I do this on and off depending on the style. Now that I'm doing braid outs I've gone back to it again. I used to do it regularly when I was fully relaxed and regained thickness. I've never experienced tangles. I always detangle on wash day with conditioner.

Last edited:

Shay72

Natural, 4A
The only combing I do is detangling in the shower and when I put my leave in my wet hair I make sure it is distributed throughout my hair. I don't do any daily combing.

Nonie

I comb my hair only when wearing it out in an afro puff, which hasn't happened for a while. Otherwise I finger comb my hair when parting and preparing my hair for twists and when redoing them.

godsflowerrr

I only comb my hair on wash days right after deep conditioning...Other than that, a comb doesn't touch my hair when it is dry...it is one of the things that has helped me to retain length.

anherica

I don't comb at all anymore. Don't really brush either. My hair is usually twisted, so I grab and twist and detangle each twist with my fingers as I go along. (It's been a while since I had all of my hair loose at one time) It's actually much faster for me this way and I think my hair is thanking me for it. I use the end of a rattail comb to make my part in front, but that's about it.

*Muffin*

I voted "sometimes if it suits the occasion". The only occasion I comb my hair on is when it's wet and full of conditioner on my wash days. I've noticed a lot less breakage and I can deal with my NG better that way. When I used to comb my hair on days other than my wash days I'd literally be ripping my hair out, forcing the comb to go through my thick new growth. I'm trying to be like Sylver2 and just leave the NG alone. Hopefully I'll notice more length retention.

imaccami

I always comb, I guess about twice a day. I can see why avoiding combing would be beneficial to naturals or relaxed ladies who are stretching. ( I don't stretch)

AtlantaJJ

I only comb on wash day after my DC. I am retaining length this way. When I wear it straight, then I comb more often, but even then I still prefer the finger comb method.

prettynatural

Think, Do, Be
yep! I just started no combing. I never comb except to detangle on wash day but now, I am trying the " never loose and wet" thing and it is working great! I detangle with my fingers and I don't have any problems. My next goal is to distance my wash days and try to be low manipulation as possible to retain length.

Butterfly08

I just can't do it. :nono: It would be a disaster.

I have reduced my combing to once, maybe twice per week with finger combing in between. My hair is straight now so I'll be combing daily til I relax on Sat. I don't want my stylist fighting through tangles and causing my scalp to burn.

msa

I love not using a comb. I've stopped using them mainly because combs aren't designed for highly textured hair, they're meant to glide through straight hair unobstructed. Trying to pull one through my coils and kinks is really just mean and I try to be a good hair mommy.

Anyway, my fingers (and some oil for lubrication) are really all that I need.

darlingdiva

I only comb after I put on my deep conditioner to ensure that all of the conditioner gets to all of my strands.

Evolving78

i barely ever comb my hair. sometimes i use the comb for parting for cornrows or braids, but i don't even use the comb to twist or detangle.

Soliel185

I only comb on wash day. Usually when I'm rinsing my DC out under the shower. And then I use my denman to make sure my leave-in and oils get all the way through. Other than that I basically finger comb.

MissNina

Libra Girl
I only comb on wash day, which is once a week up until about the 9/10 week mark and from there it's every other week (wash and detangle). Then I detangle lightly with my fingers on dry (but moisturized) hair before detangling under the shower with Garnier. Low manipulation is important for me when I get further into a stretch - the less times I use a comb the better.

katblack

Thanx for your honesty gals. I like hearing what people do for their hair and what works as opposed to what doesn't. I love everything about kinky hair and am mesmerized by it's power, ya know I'm on something, LOL:lachen:

Nice Lady

I tried the no-combing method but I was left with a lot of tangles and matting especially close to relaxer day. Boy, did it hurt to take out those knots and I lost hair in that mess even with oiling and everything(i.e., conditioner). So, I have started to co-wash daily except for wash days and combing it to avoid this end-disaster result.

Sui Topi

I just stopped maybe a last week. I was getting alot of breakage because I have some ends that need to go and I agree with the other poster, combs aren't meant for highly textured hair. I figured instead of getting 7 days worth of breakage by combing every time I cowash (every day) I would just finger comb during the week and detangle with a comb on Sundays when I would shampoo and DC and only get 1 days worth. It's been about a week and I find no need to use a comb. My hair is detangled and I barely see any breakage at all. I cowash every other day now, or when I feel like it. I just rinse and finger comb under the water, then apply conditioner, shower and then finger comb as I am rinsing it out. Then I dry it with a t-shirt or sometimes a towel (yikes!) and section it off into maybe 6. I then apply food grade aloe vera gel, a little conditioner, sometimes growth oil and massge my scalp and twist. When I wake up or whenever I am ready to go somewhere that I want to wear my own hair to, I just open the twists, seperate them and style which ususally means pinning some up on the side with a cute hair clip. My hair is so soft and healthy feeling, I don't think I am ever going to use a comb unless I am straightening my hair. I think this is really going to help me retain most of my growth this year.

Demi27

This is something I so desperately wish I could do, but I just can't.
I'm not natural, but I'm 4 months post relaxer. My hair would not be able to handle not combing it.

Now, if I wear my hair back in a bun all week, then I will lightly comb the outsides and leave the inside alone. I will then comb the entire head when I get in the shower to wash/condition.

msa

Then I dry it with a t-shirt or sometimes a towel (yikes!) and section it off into maybe 6.

Can I just say...I LOVE drying my hair with a t-shirt. My coils would always get stuck in the towel fibers no matter what I did. And t-shirts are so soft and they don't rough up my hair. It absorbs the water really well and it stays on easier than a towel.