NO Comb Method.

Do you practice the no combing method?

• Yes, I always practice no combing method.

Votes: 60 32.1%
  • Sometimes I practice it if it suits the occassion.

Votes: 69 36.9%
  • No, I would have too much tangles

Votes: 45 24.1%
  • No, I am used to using combs, brushes, etc.

Votes: 19 10.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RockCreak

I am definitely looking to start this method. My mother has been doing this for almost 2 yrs (not intentionally) and her hair is past bsl. My mom wash, con, dry and french braid her hair down the middle. That's it. It stays like that for 2 wks then she does it again. Well she's older and retired and really don't go to many places so I guess it works for her.

I plan on wash/co-wash, dc, wet bun, tie down and run. I can't go for 2wks b/c I luvvv to co-wash. But I don't have to comb, my hair straightens out pretty well in the shower.

I'm about...let's see how many wks post...Oh shoot! My last relaxer was 01/10/09 and I'm trying to stretch it unitl May 10/09---depend on what I'm working with I may try to stretch it a little longer.....naw I got a family reunion to go to Memorial Weekend so I'll have to touch up by then. I gotta look right...it's the first time I'm meeting that side of the in-laws..

ScarletPhoenix

I voted sometimes and let me say why, I only comb on wash days. I have found that by not combing my hair at all I end up losing more hair then I would have if I had just combed it. My hair is fine if I don't comb for a few days and just brush back into a bun but if I go for an extended period of time, it sheds and starts knotting around each other and I believe I end up losing more hair then if I would have just combed. I wash my hair 2x's a week for now, thinking about increasing it to 3x's a week since I use quite a bit of oil for my ends, and I comb then and still notice shedding but I don't worry since I don't comb every day like I used to.

Muse

I just stopped maybe a last week. I was getting alot of breakage because I have some ends that need to go and I agree with the other poster, combs aren't meant for highly textured hair. I figured instead of getting 7 days worth of breakage by combing every time I cowash (every day) I would just finger comb during the week and detangle with a comb on Sundays when I would shampoo and DC and only get 1 days worth. It's been about a week and I find no need to use a comb. My hair is detangled and I barely see any breakage at all. I cowash every other day now, or when I feel like it. I just rinse and finger comb under the water, then apply conditioner, shower and then finger comb as I am rinsing it out. Then I dry it with a t-shirt or sometimes a towel (yikes!) and section it off into maybe 6. I then apply food grade aloe vera gel, a little conditioner, sometimes growth oil and massge my scalp and twist. When I wake up or whenever I am ready to go somewhere that I want to wear my own hair to, I just open the twists, seperate them and style which ususally means pinning some up on the side with a cute hair clip. My hair is so soft and healthy feeling, I don't think I am ever going to use a comb unless I am straightening my hair. I think this is really going to help me retain most of my growth this year.

I have to agree with you Sui Topi. I am a frequent cowasher now and I completely stopped using any combs or brushes for about 3 weeks now and I love it. I do what you do I finger comb under water, condition, finger comb as I am rinsing out. It's soooo much faster than messing with a comb and I lose a LOT less hair.

When I first came here I tried it and I got the tangled matted mess that a lot of ladies speak of but for me I believe it was for 2 reasons:

1. I wasn't wetting my hair frequently enough (for me water is the best detangler)
2. I was using the wrong products that made my hair more dry leading to tangled dreaded hair

I'm bunning for now so wetting my hair daily is easy but I know some people say they do search and destroys with their split ends, I do that with tangles. If I feel any tangles or hair that feels like it's starting to dread I dab a bit of Redken Real Control cream on the spot and slowly get it out with my fingers and that stuff works like a charm that's how I have been able to keep the dreading at bay. I have now reserved my combs for flat ironing (whenever I decide to do it again).

Muse

I love not using a comb. I've stopped using them mainly because combs aren't designed for highly textured hair, they're meant to glide through straight hair unobstructed. Trying to pull one through my coils and kinks is really just mean and I try to be a good hair mommy.

Anyway, my fingers (and some oil for lubrication) are really all that I need.

You know I never thought about it that way. I always thought the opposite, that highly textured hair is the type of hair that really needs a comb. I am a transitioning 4b and combing has been murder on my hair. Your statement makes so much since now that I have been doing the no comb method and seeing great results.

AtlantaJJ

I just stopped maybe a last week. I was getting alot of breakage because I have some ends that need to go and I agree with the other poster, combs aren't meant for highly textured hair. I figured instead of getting 7 days worth of breakage by combing every time I cowash (every day) I would just finger comb during the week and detangle with a comb on Sundays when I would shampoo and DC and only get 1 days worth. It's been about a week and I find no need to use a comb. My hair is detangled and I barely see any breakage at all. I cowash every other day now, or when I feel like it. I just rinse and finger comb under the water, then apply conditioner, shower and then finger comb as I am rinsing it out. Then I dry it with a t-shirt or sometimes a towel (yikes!) and section it off into maybe 6. I then apply food grade aloe vera gel, a little conditioner, sometimes growth oil and massge my scalp and twist. When I wake up or whenever I am ready to go somewhere that I want to wear my own hair to, I just open the twists, seperate them and style which ususally means pinning some up on the side with a cute hair clip. My hair is so soft and healthy feeling, I don't think I am ever going to use a comb unless I am straightening my hair. I think this is really going to help me retain most of my growth this year.
This is my experience as well.

I'm not sure if this would work for relaxed hair or for someone transitioning. It works great on my hair and I am so glad I figured this out as my hair is getting longer. I am saving myself a ton of breakage.

BotanyGrl

I haven't used a comb in over a month. I have less breakage, less shed hair and my ends are noticeably thicker. When I combed my hair in the past I always thought my hair was shedding all the time but it wasn't... the hair that I thought was "shed" was actually being ripped out from the comb. And I had a soft touch when using it. I also agree with others that combs are not made for highly textured hair.

I'm going to straighten my hair with direct heat later this week for the first time in almost six months. I plan to detangle with my fingers and use the Pink Skates method with my blow dryer on low heat. Then I'll probably use the chase method w/ a medium-sized comb when I flat iron. I don't plan on straightening or using another comb for at least another six months.

And last, I tried the no comb method last year and was very disappointed. But that was because I was not doing it properly. Lisa Akbari has a youtube video that shows you how to finger comb your hair that I highly recommend.

Sugarhoney

I love not using a comb. I've stopped using them mainly because combs aren't designed for highly textured hair, they're meant to glide through straight hair unobstructed. Trying to pull one through my coils and kinks is really just mean and I try to be a good hair mommy.

Anyway, my fingers (and some oil for lubrication) are really all that I need.

Actually, the first combs were from Africa. On highly textured hair, you just comb tips to roots. I saw some lady on NatGeo take some shea butter and a wood comb and easily detangle some man's matted up, dry 4b hair in the African bush after weeks of him being out on a hunt. It looked so pretty afterward. I wish I had her skills. :grin:

LushLox

I've been thinking about this recently. At first I thought, hell no, there is no way I can get by not using a comb; but it's only because I've been indoctrined to think like that. I don't know any better so the alternative is like so unthinkable.

Strangely enough I've unconsciously not been using combs, specifically because of the types of styles of been wearing (rollersets). There is still a helluva lot of manipulation in roller setting though, so I think I may have to cut that down to once a week instead of my current twice a week method.

So I suppose it's about changing your mindset and thinking outside the box.

Last edited:

ttlayli

I only comb my hair on wash day (once a week). What helps keep the tangles and knots away, is that I keep my hair in a bun and leave it alone. I could NEVER only comb 1x a week and wear my hair out. My hair would be one huge dred.

lollyoo

Actually, the first combs were from Africa. On highly textured hair, you just comb tips to roots. I saw some lady on NatGeo take some shea butter and a wood comb and easily detangle some man's matted up, dry 4b hair in the African bush after weeks of him being out on a hunt. It looked so pretty afterward. I wish I had her skills. :grin:

Yeah your are right, The wood combs are not really for combing (the way me know it) but for sectioning or parting when making cornrows etc, and gentle detangling of matted hair.

To OP, I comb may be once in 2 months or whenever I plan to dust. I think denman actually gave me loads of splits. Because 3 months after BCing, I had to cut a further 2in of damaged ends. Now my ends have never been better.

Last edited:

redecouvert

I've always haaaaated combs! That's the first reason why I was so happy to relax when i was a child because all i did was cry and combs will break in my hair
i haven't combed my hair in 2 years and dont plan to comb them ever!
I only use my fingers
i don't brush my hair either

AtlantaJJ

I think of combs like a weapon now. I use it, but sparingly and I know it can do damage if not handled carefully..:look:

It took my 40 + years & LHCF to figure that one out....

AtlantaJJ

Yeah your are right, The wood combs are not really for combing (the way me know it) but for sectioning or parting when making cornrows etc, and gentle detangling of matted hair.

To OP, I comb may be once in 2 months or whenever I plan to dust. I think denman actually gave me loads of splits. Because 3 months after BCing, I had to cut a further 2in of damaged ends. Now my ends have never been better.
How were you using your Denman? I really stopped using mine but when I did use it, it was in the shower with running water while rinsing my conditioner out. Now I don't use it at all. But I would use it to brush my hair back into a ponytail. perhaps that's not a good idea...:scratchch

Ramya

I comb once every 2 weeks to remove shed hair. I finger style but not really "finger combing" I've found that my hair really doesn't tangle nor shed very often so there's not point in combing. My curls are much happier when I just leave them alone :yep:

Lynnerie

I only comb occassionally to remove shed hairs. Like I just had some extensions in and I had to get rid of the shed hair. But I really hate combing my hair cause it disturbs my curls and coils making them frizzy so for the most part I dont comb.

katblack

I have to agree with you Sui Topi. I am a frequent cowasher now and I completely stopped using any combs or brushes for about 3 weeks now and I love it. I do what you do I finger comb under water, condition, finger comb as I am rinsing out. It's soooo much faster than messing with a comb and I lose a LOT less hair.

When I first came here I tried it and I got the tangled matted mess that a lot of ladies speak of but for me I believe it was for 2 reasons:

1. I wasn't wetting my hair frequently enough (for me water is the best detangler)
2. I was using the wrong products that made my hair more dry leading to tangled dreaded hair

I'm bunning for now so wetting my hair daily is easy but I know some people say they do search and destroys with their split ends, I do that with tangles. If I feel any tangles or hair that feels like it's starting to dread I dab a bit of Redken Real Control cream on the spot and slowly get it out with my fingers and that stuff works like a charm that's how I have been able to keep the dreading at bay. I have now reserved my combs for flat ironing (whenever I decide to do it again).

Nice I like this method alot!

Aggie

I don't practice the "no comb" method as I would literally look like I have a bit of a bird'snest sitting on the top of my head, that's how tangled it will get. I don't want to take the risk of losing my hair trying to detangle it after a no comb experience. I'd rather play it safe than be sorry:yep:. By the way, I am relaxed.

SherylsTresses

Has anyone else tried the no combing method. Before I was using the denman and getting so much shrinkage. I started my no combing method after watching a youtubers vidoe. I used part my twists with a comb but because it took so long to finish the twists I did the no comb method. That then evolved into not using a comb at all even when detangling. It has definetly helped my curls clump better.

So what I do in the shower while detangling is wet hair apply conditioners and run my fingers down my hair. The key is to always go in a downwards direction. HTH.:yep:

Hi Katblack! I am new to the finger detangle method and I L-O-V-E it! :yep:

ETA: I've realized that I have detangle once a week else my ends would become a tangled mess. :perplexed

Last edited:

SherylsTresses

This is something I so desperately wish I could do, but I just can't.
I'm not natural, but I'm 4 months post relaxer. My hair would not be able to handle not combing it.

Now, if I wear my hair back in a bun all week, then I will lightly comb the outsides and leave the inside alone. I will then comb the entire head when I get in the shower to wash/condition.

Tyefrmy, yes you can (...and yes we did!). You have to take a small piece at a time and work those kinks out. You will save a lot of hair that way.....

Sui Topi

I noticed another plus last night. Uh well, I used to detangle with the comb pretty gently, and stop as soon as I felt resistance but I find when you gently finger comb, your fingers detect tangles before it's too late. I find with combs, the only resistance you will feel is like when you barely have any slack left to try and work the knot out and that generally will leave you with a single strand knot. Like imagine trying to get a knot out of a shoe lace by just pulling the two strands. The knot will slide all the way down to the end where it can't slide anymore and the strings are too tight for you to really work the knot out. But if you started trying to work the knot out before it got tootight you would probably save your manicure and get it out with ease.

lollyoo

How were you using your Denman? I really stopped using mine but when I did use it, it was in the shower with running water while rinsing my conditioner out. Now I don't use it at all. But I would use it to brush my hair back into a ponytail. perhaps that's not a good idea...:scratchch

I was basically using it for styling everyday, after daily co-washing. It really enhance my coils and curls, as my hair easily frizz up on its own.
I can still use it occassionaly, may be once a month to once in 2 months.
But wont be using it regularly, infact wont be using any comb or brush regularly.

Candycane044

I only comb my hair on wash days right after deep conditioning...Other than that, a comb doesn't touch my hair when it is dry...it is one of the things that has helped me to retain length.

Cosigning. There is no way that I can comb my hair when it's dry...it would all break off on the floor. Only on wash days, and even then it's minimal.

Soliel185

Cosigning. There is no way that I can comb my hair when it's dry...it would all break off on the floor. Only on wash days, and even then it's minimal.

Even if I'm just finger combing my hair I dampen it slightly with braid spray or my aloe/glycerine moisture spritz. I feel like damp hair absorbs moisture better, and it softens my hair so that when I separate with my fingers the brittle or delicate areas (demarcation line esp) bend instead of snap and break.

Faith

I'm trying to do like Sylver :look: I finger comb some parts 1x/week but run a comb through 2x/month. So far...so good. I like to spritz (lightly) with diluted lacio lacio (since my hair is flatironed) and detangle.

Last edited:

Leeda.the.Paladin

This past summer I was fingercombing all the time. It's great for getting my curls to clump together. However, as my hair got longer, doing nothing but fingercombing would cause a ton of tangles and knots. I couldn't get all the shed hairs out. Now I make sure to use my denman at least once a week.

I'm mostly in protective styles anyway and I comb before doing those. But typically before a wash n go, I only fingercomb. I don't/can't do this more than 2-3 days in a row though.