No Heat???

Everything Zen

I was telling one of my friends about the LHCF and we discussed low manipulation, no heat, etc. Well one of our other friends just went to get a touch up and she had tons of breakage!! :eek: She was shocked and she asked the stylist what could she be doing wrong?? All she does is rollerset her hair and let it air dry. The stylist said that was the problem because you need heat to set the hair while it's wet otherwise your hair can break. Can anyone give me a little insight on that idea? I've never heard of that before.

*Happily Me*

Heat is not necessary for healthy hair. Look at Isis' hair - she hasn't used heat in over 3 years. :)

I rarely use heat myself.

Maybe that touch up by the stylist broke her hair off.

HoneyDew

I think it is true in SOME cases. If I let my hair airdry, in rollers or not, I will get lots of breakage if I don't use the right products. My hair will airdry and be brittle and dry without good products. A stylist is NOT going to try to troubleshoot the problem and help he get a better airdried set. it is easier for him to say she needs heat.

Actually even with heat, the set can turn out badly with dryness and breakage if the hair needs better products, more protein and/or more moisture.

Again, he would never try to help her with her airdried sets. That is way beyond the reach of many stylists.

Esmé

I've never heard of this. Could the problem be the way she sets her hair? I know taking the rollers out can sometimes break your hair off if you're not careful.

meaganita

I don't know. My hair likes heat, it's chemicals that are a problem for me. I know I couldn't do an air-dry rollerset with my naps without breakage though!:lol:

Cichelle

DSylla said:
Heat is not necessary for healthy hair. Look at Isis' hair - she hasn't used heat in over 3 years. :)

I rarely use heat myself.

Maybe that touch up by the stylist broke her hair off.

I agree.

I've never heard that heat stopped breakage. I dont use heat and haven't for years. My hair has been a lot better off. But I certainly have heard some people say that they did not like the way airdrying made their hair feel.

RubyWoo

I never heard that. I can't recall where I read or heard this but I recall reading that if you set/roll your hair too tight on to the roller then that could cause breakage. The reasoning is that as your hair dries, there is minor shrinkage. As a result, the dry hair is stretched on the roller and could snap if the hair is pulled too tight onto the roller when wet resulting in breakage. I hope that makes sense. Just something I read and I'm inclined to believe it because I airdry all the time but did experience minor breakage when I did an airdried rollerset. Never when I airdry in braids/plaits.

ETA:What kind of rollers did your friend use?

Last edited:

blackmaven

Anything Is Possible
The last stylist that relaxed my daughter's hair said she ,"need to blow dry hair weekly from Keracare's Testing Salon. I disagreed. The new manager screamed :eek: "That is why your child hair is damaged." I will give it the stylist she informed her manager both mommy and daughter's hair is very healthy. Thanks to LHCF and Sisterslick "Hair Breakage 101.

guesswho

Cichelle said:
I agree.

I've never heard that heat stopped breakage. I dont use heat and haven't for years. My hair has been a lot better off. But I certainly have heard some people say that they did not like the way airdrying made their hair feel.

Omg! I want your hair! Its beautiful

Everything Zen

Naturellle said:
I never heard that. I can't recall where I read or heard this but I recall reading that if you set/roll your hair too tight on to the roller then that could cause breakage. The reasoning is that as your hair dries, there is minor shrinkage. As a result, the dry hair is stretched on the roller and could snap if the hair is pulled too tight onto the roller when wet resulting in breakage. I hope that makes sense. Just something I read and I'm inclined to believe it because I airdry all the time but did experience minor breakage when I did an airdried rollerset. Never when I airdry in braids/plaits.

ETA:What kind of rollers did your friend use?

I don't know. I'll have to find out. Plus she probably wasn't moisturizing or sealing with oils either. I just did a pree-poo with EVOO and then did a whole moisturizing wash with Silk Elements shampoo, conditioner, and the Mega Silk Moisturizing treatment. Then I added Garnier end-strengthening leave-in treatment, ORS carrot oil, and then sealed with Kera Care essential oils. I use end wraps and magnetic rollers and I sat under the dryer (this time since my friend's mishap) for about an hour. Then I let it all air dry.

Iluvsmuhgrass

I hope it works out. I don't use heat but when I go to the stylist she roller sets my hair with foam. I've never had breakage from this... maybe Dsylla was right... could the "touch up" (relaxer or over processing) be the culprit?