NYC Ladies and Natural Hair: Where is it most common?

Which section of the city is natural hair more common?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

danniegirl

im from the bronx and i am natural but you were right in your observation naturals up here are far and in between. I do see a lot of dreads on older ladies but that's about it the people in my little area are now amazed with my hair like they never saw a twist out before

Lita

Bronx/Brooklyn girl...I see more naturals in BK..Yes,you do have quite a bit of naturals in bed-sty too under the weave..Protective Styling..non-thing wrong with that....If your relaxed or natural,living in Bk either way,your not judge for it-YOU CAN BE YOU...

*BROOKLYN WINS Hands DOWN!

Happy Hair Growing!

Stepiphanie

Fort Greener checking in, and I'm definitely going to say BK. I covered part of the bx (for work) when I was transitioning/beginning journey and I would get the most random questions about my hair, Like I was some kind of foreign creature of exotic nappyness that they never saw before. Lol. Manhattan is next, followed by Queens.

empressri

I've seen just as many naturals in queens and long island than I have in BK.

So unless you spend a fair amount of time in each borough...we'll never know! It's safe to say that we're everywhere :grin:

**SaSSy**

3rd Big Chop on 7/18/2016
Brooklyn in the Bed-stuy and Crown Heights area, then Harlem. But now that's it's a trend now, I'm seeing almost everywhere in BK.

Last edited:

cinnespice

Hello is me your looking for?
I was thinking to myself that i'm seeing a lot of naturals on the train in the morning from Flatbush. I see them everywhere but mainly in bk and in Manhattan. I work in union square and i'm always salivating at somebody's fro walking down the street.

MsSanz92

UPDATE: I was just cruising around the 161st street/Yankee stadium/Courthouse area of the Bronx today and saw quite a few naturals. Maybe that's where they've been hiding! I never usually go over in that area but I saw at least 5 natural heads in the vicinity in the span of 30 mins hmm.....

princessnad

Generally, the more affluent the NYC neighborhood, and the closer the proximity to universities (especially our prestigious ones ie. Columbia NYU) the denser the natural population.

I realized this working as a real estate agent and took note of the difference.

Before we "moved on up" my fam lived on Flatbush close to Parkside or Caton, it was a dense carribbean population but it was pretty hood and low income. Relaxers weaves and wigs are king in that area and hoods like it, not even gonna discuss the bright colors some folks throw in :ohwell:. Not to dog out my stomping grounds it had its positive aspects, but it's true.

When you go to the yuppie areas of Brooklyn and even Manhattan, that are high income, higher education ie. Park slope, Bklyn heights, Clinton hill, fort Greene carol gardens and for manhattan w village, soho, union sq etc. You can't walk an inch in any direction without bumping into some ultra fly naturals:grin:

I was meeting with a client today in downtown bk at a cafe and I saw countless naturals but this one natural family walked past and I was just in awe, they looked SO amazing.

I would definitely say that the yuppie neighborhoods in bk really take the cake in terms of naturals.

Sent from my iPhone4 using LHCF
*welp* I didn't want to say this for fear of being flamed. But it's generally true. But I do have to say that ultra affluent regions (not college-educated, upwardly mobile types but the ultra wealthy Westchester types) do not have such a high population of naturals... yet...or at least in my observation.

My answer is Brooklyn with Manhattan coming in a close second. Ft. Greene is seriously a natural Mecca.

pringe

I'm a native nyer. Lived in bk my whole life. I think u guys are trying to classify or analyze why certain areas may have more or less naturals by socioeconomic status, incomes,etc. I do see many naturals around in BK. But I see many all over the city! We are everywhere baby! You can't say in the WI area there r less naturals. Not nec true and a lot of those weave wearers and wigs that you're seeing may actually be natural ladies.

You also have to take in the fact that we are a mobile city. Meaning that the train and our cars make us able to easily go between the other boroughs in less than a hour. So the natural lady you saw in BK may actually live in the BX. Also we also affect our friends. I know when u went natural I was the only one but within a year 4 of my gf went natural too.. maybe we are causing the abundance of new natural sightings! Lol

BTW , theyre actually are quite a few naturals on SI. I happen to personally know a good number out there! Hth