OFFICIAL Half-Wig Thread (Gallery & Info)

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
How do you all go about shopping for HWs online? I see a lot of pretty HWs but am unsure if they would look the same when I put them on. I know that I've tried on some full caps that looked great but didn't look so good when I put them on. I've never tried on a HW though so I don't know how HWs work in that regard....can you order just about any HW and make it work?

indarican

anyone know how to get rid of that hump in the front of the half wig, any special ones i can buy? its makes me look like i have a huge head

Duchesse

How do you all go about shopping for HWs online? I see a lot of pretty HWs but am unsure if they would look the same when I put them on. I know that I've tried on some full caps that looked great but didn't look so good when I put them on. I've never tried on a HW though so I don't know how HWs work in that regard....can you order just about any HW and make it work?

Have you worn HWs before? For me, I can pretty much tell what is going to work and what isn't just by looking at the pics. Also, I tend to youtube a wig before I order to get an idea of how it looks on a moving person.

I think HWs are pretty easy to make look good.

jamaicalovely

Wow ladies. Your half wigs are gorgeous.
I think I may try this option in 2011. What are you all doing with your natural hair under half wig section?

indarican

(This is not a challenge)

Hey Ladies, I thought it would be a great idea if we had a designated home for our half-wig lovers to share pics and style recommendations. I've been noticing a LOT of posts here and there from members interested in certain half wigs or tips about them so they can incorporate it into their protective styling rotation. Especially with many of us transitioners, finding a half-wig that allows easy blending can be challenging. Or, even if you simply need a new look for the weekend and want a different style real quick, these HW can sure come in handy. I'm no half wig expert..I'm still getting my feet wet in that area, but I'm more than happy to share pics as I go along and I invite any of you who love them to also share your pics or faves in this thread that way we'll one spot to go to for everything half-wigs. (Please include the name of the wig, the color and where you purchased it) HTH and HHG everyone!

I think I may try this option in 2011. What are you all doing with your natural hair under half wig section?

I have been either moisturizing on dry or cowashed hair and putting a net wig cap on. so far so good. I wanted to baggy underneath but am real concerned with the bag making noise under the HW.

diadall

Okay, so I decided I want to get a half wig but here is the thing. I don't want it to look better than my real hair. I don't want people to see me in my real hair and feel let down. I don't want a bad half wig I just don't want one that makes people think I should never take it off.

I hope that makes sense.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Have you worn HWs before? For me, I can pretty much tell what is going to work and what isn't just by looking at the pics. Also, I tend to youtube a wig before I order to get an idea of how it looks on a moving person.

I think HWs are pretty easy to make look good.
I've never worn them before. I've only worn full caps which look way to wiggy. I have been looking at pics here on LHCF for a better idea of how the wig looks IRL. I will also check youtube for ideas. I plan to go HW shopping today so hopefully I can also find the similar styles to the online items I like.

kandake

Imani your wig came out great. I've been thinking about making my own wigs and was just contemplating what type of hair I wanted. So, I need more details!!!!!!!

1. Is it the Malaysian Remy Kinky Curl
2. What length did you get
3. How many packs.

Imani

Imani your wig came out great. I've been thinking about making my own wigs and was just contemplating what type of hair I wanted. So, I need more details!!!!!!!

1. Is it the Malaysian Remy Kinky Curl
2. What length did you get
3. How many packs.

Thanks. Yes, its the malaysian remy kinky curly. not the afro kinky curly, just kinky curly. I got 14 inches but I cut a lot of it off. I do NOT look cute with a bunch of hair. I used a little less than 1 pack. I used as few tracks as possible so it wouldn't get too big.

Imani

I just ordered some Halley's curls hair to make another half wig. Relaxed gentle wave. I looked at this girl on u tube who did a flexirod set on this hair and it was so pretty.

I was trying to avoid straightening my hair until February. But this way, I only have to straight a little in the front and will have a straight style I can do when I want to change it up from the kinky curly textured hair wigs I usually wear.

Imani

My hair is in plaits. As soon as I get home from work I take my wig off. I moisturize my hair every night.

Imani

I got my Halley's Curl Hair. Starting on the wig tonight. Will post pics when I'm done ....only if its cute! :look:

ladyfoxy07

I get that all the time...i joke with my co-workers and I say I switched up my Hat today!!! They start laughing and I can't help but giggle. It's like a fun accessory...I get to match up my hair style with what I'm wearing or what I'm doing that day. :yep:
I agree. I tell my friends any family hair is an accessory and I just like to match! On that note, I do have 20 pieces and counting...this is addicting. Does anyone else here remember Regine from "Living Single" and her hair pieces? she was/is my hero!

Last edited:

Belle Du Jour

I'm going to place a big wig order this week but I'm still getting my list together of what I want. I will probably order 2 Jessica wigs (my staple) and some full wigs. I may order a couple LFs too (maybe First Lady).

Imani

I get my headbands from Forever 21

Me too. I love forever 21 headbands. They are cute and never too tight.

Kimmaytube has some cute ones on her site. luvnaturals.com. but they are pricey, I've never ordered from there but they look cute.

Belle Du Jour

OK, I bought 4 new Goody headbands. All have a stretchy band in the back so it can accommodate my dome :look: They were pricey though ($5.99-6.99 each). This will make me less bored with the headbank/halfwig look. I also ordered 3 new half-wigs on Friday: Outre Lily, Jessica and Emily. :yep:

iri9109

tammy by outre:

i didnt blend at all...i just put it on to test it out...i have a satin scarf/durag underneath...i need to get a wig cap

Belle Du Jour

I think Lilly is the bomb! I'm not crazy about Emily. And Jessica is the one I wear daily (although I wore Vera the past couple of weeks since I didn't have a fresh Jessica). I will be traveling with Lilly for sure. She's perfect for the beach, Europe, everywhere :yep:

CB1731

I love this thread! It's 2:30am and all I am think about is ordering wigs. You all look so pretty in them. I can't wait to get one!

Imani

My homemade half wig with extensions plus relaxed texture hair. This hair has a kinky straight texture. I was in a hurry so I didn't get it very straight. I really like this hair. My natural hair is straightened in the front.

Attachments

• eprt.jpg
    eprt.jpg
    335.9 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:

NikkiQ

This thread makes me wanna pull out my halfies and start wearing them more often! Lookin lovely ladies :)

CB1731

My half-wig arrived today!! I am going to attempt to put it on and I will take some pics. I am so excited! I hope it looks good because I can see myself getting addicted to these things. I have to get over the fact that it's a wig. For some reason, Jerry Springer episodes keep replaying in my head. lol I wore extensions for years though. I guess I'm just afraid of it flying off my head or my little baby pulling it off. OMG I'd die.

CB1731

Ok so....are half-wigs supposed to be thin? I am afraid to wear her out of the house.

I bought Outre Lilly. She is cute but I'm doing something wrong with putting her on even though I've watched a million YT videos and read through the wig threads. She doesn't fit on my head tight enough and I have a big head. I did the strappy thing in the back too. Hmm. I'm going to purchase another one in a different style and see if it's just this particular wig or if half-wigs are just not for me.

Not the greatest pic of her curls but it's all I have

On a happy note, DH loves it. :yep: