Oh My Goodness! What People Will Do to Get Straight Hair

Nice & Wavy

Ok, now I have seen enough. This is crazy. I first saw this on www.roundhairbrush.com and they were talking about it, but when I looked into it further....this is crazy.

I have to ask: Are you willing to go this far????

http://www.short-hair-style.com/keratin-hair-treatment.html

Brazilian Keratin Hair Treatment

A Popular Hair Straightener Treatment Worth Dying For!!

The October issue of Allure magazine in US includes an investigation into the Brazilian Keratin hair treatment also known as "escova progressiva" treatments, which cost as much as $600 and claim to turn dry, frizzy hair into smooth, silky hair for months. Stylists and clients often wear gas masks or other protective equipment and still may feel the ill effects of this potentially fatal gas.

Many customers and stylists do not know that this Brazilian treatment often contains high concentrations of formaldehyde, a cancer-causing chemical.

The magazine found that many of the most popular treatments on the market contain at least ten times more formaldehyde than the .2 percent considered safe by the Cosmetic Ingredient Review Expert Panel. The Food and Drug Administration does not regulate cosmetics but now is looking into the "escova progressiva" treatments.

Some salon owners and stylists believed that their Brazilian keratin treatment solution contained 2 percent and not .2 percent formaldehyde and that is actually approved by the FDA. But that statement is false according to FDA's spokeswoman Veronica Castero.

Most stylists using this treatment said they use safe measure, like wearing latex gloves and working near ventilation hood or windows, but that might not be enough.

Most interesting part is that this product claim smooth silky hair using Keratin, but it seems keratin has nothing to do with hair straightening and does NOT change the structure of the hair and it's really the formaldehyde that makes the treatment work. According to Allure Magazine "It's doubtful that keratin does anything except provide a good marketing story. It's window dressing."

Many hair salons are started to suspend this kind of treatments and others offering their own alternative to unsafe popular Brazilian Keratin treatment. Yellow Strawberry Salon in Florida has developed its own Caribbean Dream treatment. "Caribbean Dream requires no gas masks, no extreme or unorthodox safety equipment and stylists can use this product without worrying about endangering their clients or themselves, confident that this hair treatment will give women the same, sought-after look as escova progressiva," Says the owner Jesse Briggs.

Source: Allure Magazine
Issue October 2007 - Article: Scared Straight
Sub-title: Warning: A hot new hair-straightening treatment from Brazil could be a health hazard. But that hasn't stopped people from performing it.

camibella

Wow.. okay this is practically INSANE!! I mean I'm sure there are individuals who would go to such EXTREME measures for straighter hair but ummm relaxer? blow-dryer? flat iron? any of those ever crossed their minds?

I always say to each his own but in my opinon, its not that serious. The mere fact that gask masks and other preventative measures are implemented shows how potent and dangerous that chemical is. I won't even go near a shop that does it.

I'll just stick to the good ole fashioned ways.

PPL are just crazy nowadays..... W.O.W

Nice & Wavy

Wow.. okay this is practically INSANE!! I mean I'm sure there are individuals who would go to such EXTREME measures for straighter hair but ummm relaxer? blow-dryer? flat iron? any of those ever crossed their minds?

I always say to each his own but in my opinon, its not that serious. The mere fact that gask masks and other preventative measures are implemented shows how potent and dangerous that chemical is. I won't even go near a shop that does it.

I'll just stick to the good ole fashioned ways.

PPL are just crazy nowadays..... W.O.W

If I have to wear a gas mask to go into the salon to get my hairs did....call me "STUPID.":spinning:

YoungWavey

This has got to be one of the most stupid things people can do to themselves. What is wrong with people?[/quote]

They think about what's HOT NOW then Later when they six feet deep with straight hair:perplexed...My guess the client would have to wear something too:nono:...lol crazy world:spinning:

Mestiza

Even having the most beautiful hair known to man is not worth exposing yourself to something that potentially harmful. :nono:

*Muffin*

I've heard of this treatment before. It's supposed to work wonders for damaged, curly hair. When applied to hair and then straightened it's supposed to turn it into silken, straight hair. I have also heard of the formaldehyde in it making people seriously ill. They claim to have formaldehyde-free treatments, but I'd suggest anyone looking into this treatment do some heavy research on it.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
1. I really want to see before and after pics of what this ish is supposed to do.

2. I wonder if the people involved knew that there was dead people preservative going on their heads.

3. I can picture the look on my face if I rolled up to a salon and everybody had gas masks on.
:nono:

tenjoy

why would you pay that money/risk to straighten hair. As if your not going to grow new growth???!!!

I saw this on CBS' The Early Show the other day. Crazy! The things people will do to get their hair straight. They were saying that it's too difficult for the FDA to regulate all hair care products but this has been banned in Brazil where it originated. A woman died and they think it was due to the chemicals but the lady did it herself at her home, the salon didn't do it. I wouldn't go about getting it done, but they said it lasts for months (I would hope since it is so expensive). NO THANKS.

trini_rican

call me craZy but - no thanks.

BTW - Dominican hair care products are all natural ( most of them) and very affordable hence the reason that they're so well liked.