Popular Hair Straightening ... Worth Dying For?!

BlackPearl1

Hi ladies I came across this article, while doing some research on Brazilian Keratin Treatments. I just wanted to share it with you. Health over Hair :bookworm: ! I am sure a few ladies know this info already, but for those like myself who didn't I just wanted to post it up.

I copied and pasted the article and also add the Link http://www.style-stars.com/blog/2007/10/brazilian-keratin-treatment.html

Brazilian Keratin Treatment

A Popular Hair Straightening Technique Worth Dying For?!

The October issue of Allure magazine in US includes an investigation into the Brazilian Keratin hair treatment also known as "escova progressiva" treatments, which cost as much as $600 and claim to turn dry, frizzy hair into smooth, silky hair for months. Stylists and clients often wear gas masks or other protective equipment and still may feel the ill effects of this potentially fatal gas.

Many customers and stylists do not know that this Brazilian treatment often contains high concentrations of formaldehyde, a cancer-causing chemical, used primary in the preservation of the deceased.

The magazine found that many of the most popular treatments on the market contain at least ten times more formaldehyde than the .2 percent considered safe by the Cosmetic Ingredient Review Expert Panel. The Food and Drug Administration does not regulate cosmetics but now is looking into the "escova progressiva" treatments.

Some salon owners and stylists believed that their Brazilian keratin treatment solution contained 2 percent and not .2 percent formaldehyde and that is actually approved by the FDA. But that statement is false according to FDA's spokeswoman Veronica Castero.

Most stylists using this treatment said they use safe measure, like wearing latex gloves and working near ventilation hood or windows, but that might not be enough.

The most interesting part is that this product claim smooth silky hair using Keratin, but it seems keratin has nothing to do with hair straightening and does NOT change the structure of the hair and it's really the formaldehyde that makes the treatment work. According to Allure Magazine, "It's doubtful that keratin does anything except provide a good marketing story. It's window dressing."

Many hair salons have started to suspend this kind of treatment and others are offering their own alternative to unsafe popular Brazilian Keratin treatment. Yellow Strawberry Salon in Florida has developed its own Caribbean Dream treatment. "Caribbean Dream requires no gas masks, no extreme or unorthodox safety equipment and stylists can use this product without worrying about endangering their clients or themselves, confident that this hair treatment will give women the same, sought-after look as escova progressiva," Says the owner Jesse Briggs.

Sources: Allure Magazine, www.short-hair-style.com
Issue October 2007 - Article: Scared Straight
Sub-title: Warning: A hot new hair-straightening treatment from Brazil could be a health hazard. But that hasn't stopped people from performing it.

Last edited:

ThatJerseyGirl

Neva heard of this and will NEVA pay 6 hunnit dollas for it...if i want that kinda hair, i'd rather buy it and have it sewed in..... 6 hunnit is a rent payment to some people..and only last a few months? get da ...... outta hea....

SoCalli

Yes, it is! LOL...just kidding. Thankfully, they make it without formaldehyde now. Don't sleep on it. It is the best thing since sliced bread.

BlackPearl1

I seen alot of thread here on LCHF about Brazilian Keratin Treatment
and it sounded wonderful . I try my best not to jump on bandwagons, so I decide to do some research into it. Needed less to say I won't try this product and plus 600 dollars :look: is a bit much for my student budget.

BlackPearl1

Yes, it is! LOL...just kidding. Thankfully, they make it without formaldehyde now. Don't sleep on it. It is the best thing since sliced bread.

:grin: yeah I know they make it without formaldehyde now. From my understanding the keratin is just a packing tool to get women to buy this product and that the level of keratin is so low that is doesn't do anything. Thanks for the info foxxylisa.

aloof one

damn... thats rent, cable, utilities all in one. Sheet... thats car note, gas and groceries all in one... I would have to choose between food or shelter every 6 months just to keep getting my hair done. :nono:

SoCalli

I seen alot of thread here on LCHF about Brazilian Keratin Treatment
and it sounded wonderful . I try my best not to jump on bandwagons, so I decide to do some research into it. Needed less to say I won't try this product and plus 600 dollars :look: is a bit much for my student budget.

damn... thats rent, cable, utilities all in one. Sheet... thats car note, gas and groceries all in one... I would have to choose between food or shelter every 6 months just to keep getting my hair done. :nono:

That's why I buy it myself and do it at home. It is still expensive, but so worth it. Doing it myself means that it is about $400 cheaper for me. There are so many different brands available that you never know what you are going to get. I stick with QOD. They are considered the best.

My hair is a lot stronger after using it. Also, the same thing can be said about other products we buy. We don't know how much of each ingredient we are getting. All we can tell is that ingredients further up the list are more prevalent in the formula.

SoCalli

Also wanted to add that I don't really care whether it has keratin in it or not. The benefit for me is that I can loosen my curl pattern without it being loosened permanently. This is the only reason that I started using it. It makes detangling my hair a breeze.