OH SNAP - FLATIRON WITH GREASE!!

ctosha

As some of the other posters stated if it aint broke don't fix it. Back when I was permed and transitioning I used indian hemp grease to flat iron and the new growth would revert no problem. I would use grease now to flat iron but more natural oils like Oyin burnt sugar I do have Fantasia IC heat protectant just to see how it works. I do believe her hair is so healthy because she does deep condition before her presses so that maybe has something to do with the fact that her hair is so healthy despite the use of grease

naturalmanenyc

I just had my hair blown out and flat ironed on Tuesday and the stylist did use basically a small dab of homemade grease on each section. So far my hair is holding up...except the edges where I added water based moisturizer.

I flatiron my natural hair with grease! Everything else I've tried doesn't work. Grease is the best thing ever happened for my hair. I'm retaining length and my hair is still healthy.

I used to flat iron my hair with DAX marcel iron wax or bee's wax. My hair is really thick though. I used just a little on the ends of my hair.

STLCoverGirl

She does have pretty hair, I would love to see her hair flat ironed with very little product, maybe just a leave-in and some serum...her hair would be swingin.

Juliagizzle

Aww man mine looks too stringy when i use anything to press my hair out. The only thing I can do is DC and rinse before I press and maybe use chi silk infusion diluted with water. But I have been tempted to use vaseline to press out because I still get so much breakage when I do it myself. I used to softee when I would let people do my braids and I remember getting some growth.

Her and her hair is so gorgeous. I wish my strands were even like that curly.

mahogany_horizons

WELL I CAN'T JUDGE HER TECHNIQUE, but her hair is AWESOME, THICK, FULL LUSH AND GORGEOUS.....she makes me want to become a flat ironing natural!!

girlyprincess23

the only thing I don't like is the greasy weighed down look of it. I think she would be better of wearing a serum it would be more bouncy and have more swang. I think her hair is too fine/ thin for all that grease but if it maker happy, it is her head!!!

discobiscuits

IF I ever straighten my hair again. I'm using what my mom used when I was little. I'll press n curl with this (this can is like 50 yrs old - seriously) :

Last edited:

Millahdoowop

When I was relaxed in high school and I started to flat iron my own hair, I was using grease and I had plenty of shine and body.

TaurusAngel

I did that when i was natural and i use it for my sister's APL natural hair. It really gets the hair relaxer straight and it turns out very nice. I used Vaseline. :)

BlackPearl1

Different thing work for different heads, but it is also the look your going for. Her hair looks, how my hair use to look like in High school; long and weigh down with grease (not as weigh down as hers) which I love back then . Now a days that is a big No No for me. Like my hair feeling bounce :trampolin and not weigh down with grease ( boy was I heavy handed with the grease back then :nono:). Her looks nice and if it works her, do your thing girl :notworthy.

Last edited:

that_1_grrrl

I wonder...

Since grease has all that stuff that clogs up your pores, could it actually protect the hair somehow?

Just throwing that question out there.

But, I am jealous of her hair. It is gorgeous. I love that braidout.

Jazala

I wonder...

Since grease has all that stuff that clogs up your pores, could it actually protect the hair somehow?

Just throwing that question out there.

But, I am jealous of her hair. It is gorgeous. I love that braidout.

Yes, it's just like sealing with oil. I would use grease too if it didn't attract dirt so readily.

Her hair is lovely!

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I just had my hair blown out and flat ironed on Tuesday and the stylist did use basically a small dab of homemade grease on each section. So far my hair is holding up...except the edges where I added water based moisturizer.
I never use any moisturizer on my hair after it has been straightened. My flat ironed natural hair lasts for 3-4 weeks without reverting as long as I stay away from water. My hair doesn't dry out either. The grease keeps my hair moisturized and soft.

alopeciagrl

Well I couldn't finish watching the video as I was unimpressed and deeply sadden to see someone using that old school reggie. She seems like she has naturally long hair so the grease doesn't help growth it's just how she does her hair.

I'm not anti grease but it has to be natural and sure not 99 cents. I think she could benefits from this site.

That's a shame we are are sitting around watching the video, no one invited her here to join us. WE ARE ALL GUILTY!!!

gabulldawg

Looking at her vids from 2006 her hair has DEFINITELY grown since then, so I guess her method is working for her. :yep: I have a cousin with between BSL and MBL hair who flat irons her hair with grease as well. :yep:

LyndseyJK

Wow. That can does look old. Do they even sell that anymore? It looks like it should be in a museum.

IF I ever straighten my hair again. I'm using what my mom used when I was little. I'll press n curl with this (this can is like 50 yrs old - seriously) :

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Well I couldn't finish watching the video as I was unimpressed and deeply sadden to see someone using that old school reggie. She seems like she has naturally long hair so the grease doesn't help growth it's just how she does her hair.

I'm not anti grease but it has to be natural and sure not 99 cents. I think she could benefits from this site.

That's a shame we are are sitting around watching the video, no one invited her here to join us. WE ARE ALL GUILTY!!!
Don't be sadden by it... what works for one may not work for everyone else. Some things that are encouraged here at LHCF like daily moisturizing, washing often, co-washing, airdrying, and staying away from heat doesn't work for everyone either.

Kimbosheart

lol at her other video about using conditioner to "indefinate" her curls. She is seriously country, I aint mad though thats my whole family on my mama's and daddy's side.

Geminigirl

I like her hair BUT like alot of you said it was a lil too stringy greasy looking for my tastes. I think if she used something lighter her hair would be on point.

jaszymeen

i can't use grease for ANYTHING. breaks out my forehead somethin serious and leaves build up on my scalp after 2 days :wallbash: back when i was in middle school my mom used to press my hair with isoplus pressing somethin and that was good OR either that good ol blue magic :nono: no bueno. anywho even though i clean my flat iron plates after each use wouldnt all that grease damage or leave a build up on the plates for someone who doesnt clean their flat iron?

brittdadutchess

Her hair is way to heavy...for me. But hey some like it stringy some like it flowing. I remember when I used grease and how heavy and icky my hair looked and felt. Also I hated the thought of hugging someone for fear that I'd rub grease on their clothes lol.