Okra and hair growth

michaela

Natural 4b
okay so i went to the search thingy and i saw an older thread about okra and hair growth. So im wondering if anybody is still using okra as a growth aid?

Details please im really curious!

I have lots of ideas and i need some more info:yep:

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
I love okra soup but I didn't know it was a growth aide
I can't imagine washing it out of your hair, it would be so messy

almond eyes

Dear Ladies,

I am West African and we eats loads of okra. I have been eating okra since I was three and eat okra several times a week. I know that okra is good for women's digestive systems. Many West Africans have a lot of full thick hair but I cannot say that okra was the main reason. Yes, my hair was always naturally thick but the jury is still out on whether okra helped it along, it sure didn't when it fell out due to a bad relaxer and stress three years ago. In Rwanda (Central Africa) where many of the women have beautiful hair swear the secret is eating lots of yogurt and beans. I think the key is to have a well balanced diet because hair texture and thickness is genetics, however growth rate and retention of growth can be influenced by several factors.

Best,
Almond Eyes

~~HoneyComb~~

I don't know about using it as a growth aide, but I remember having a conversation with my mom some years ago and she said they would use the "slime" from okra, to make their hair shiny, this would have been in the 1940'-1950's era. The next time I talk to her, I'll ask her about it.

Platinum

Yuck!:perplexed I hate okra!:nono: I'll need more info before I decide to run out and purchase it.:spinning:

anon123

I looove okra! I can eat a crazy amount. Sautee it up in a little butter and olive oil, don't need nothing but some salt and pepper. :lick: Or coat it in that fish batter and deep fry. Man, I WISH eating okra made your hair grow. But putting it on my hair? That sounds kinda . . . gross.

ebonylocs

Sweet Cashew once made a post about how when she was a child back in Guyana, she caught lice from other children at school. When she was sent to her grandmother for the holiday, to treat the lice, weekly her grandmother would make this okra mush, massaged it into her scalp and hair, let it sit for a bit, and then wash it out.

She says that although she always had long hair, she came back from holiday with noticeably longer hair, so much so that everyone was commenting on it.

Who knows? :grin:

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

Any Okra Hair Growth Recipes? I am looking for all recipes...
Here's what I found...

do u appreciate my use of color???:lachen:

The worldwide used versatile vegetable called okra is characterized by green color, elongated and tapering ridged pods infused with double row of seeds and slimy texture when cut open. This integral member of the cotton family is indigenous to regions around the Nile in North Africa and the Middle East for it was discovered dating as far as 3500 years ago in Ethiopia. Early Egyptians are known to love its taste. Okra later transcended to North America enroute slave trade and then to Europe, Asia and South and Central America.
Besides being low in calories it is aplenty with vitamins of the category A, Thiamin, B6, C, folic acid, riboflavin, calcium, zinc and dietary fiber. Eating okra is much recommended for pregnant woman besides other for it is rich in folic acid which is essential in the neural tube formation of the fetus during 4-12 weeks of gestation period in the mother's womb.
Research revelations by the eminent nutritionists' state
• The mucilage and fiber found in okra helps adjust blood sugar by regulating its absorption in the small intestine.
• The fiber of okra has many superior qualities in maintaining the health of the gastro-intestinal tract.
• It helps reabsorb water and traps excess cholesterol, metabolic toxins and surplus bile in its mucilage and slips it out through the stool. Due to greater percentage of water in the bulk it thereby prevents constipation, gas and bloating in the abdomen.
• It is an ideal vegetable for weight loss and is storehouse of health benefits provided it is cooked over low flame to retain its properties. This also to ensure that the invaluable mucilage contained in it is not lost to high heat.
• Okra facilitates the propagation of good bacteria referred to as probiotics. These are similar to the ones proliferate by the yoghurt in the small intestine and helps biosynthesis of Vitamin B complex.
• For adding bounce your hair. Boil horizontally sliced okra till the brew become maximally slimy. Cool it and add a few droops of lemon and use this as the last rinse and see your hair spring back to youthfulness and jump.
• Okra is an excellent laxative treats irritable bowels, heals ulcers and sooths the gastrointestinal track.
• Protein and oil contained in the seeds of okra serves as the source of first-rate vegetable protein. It is enriched with amino acids on the likes of tryptophan, cystine and other sulfur amino acids.

Rosy Vohra works for Online books India
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Rosy_Vohra
:yep:
Thanks Chicas!

frizzy

I have done it....both ways. I love to eat it, and I put the slime in my hair once too. Yes I did it, and doggone it, I'm gonna do it again.

I actually found some okra juice in my refrig. in a cup, but I can't remember when I put it in there, plus I'm in braids, so I ain't putting that in my hair.

Come to think of it I can knock out two birds with one stone now, okra juice and salt. I would have used it a lot more, but I have to season my food while it's cooking, so the salt and pepper would prevent me from using the juice most of the time.

It did very good in the hair as a treatment.

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

I have done it....both ways. I love to eat it, and I put the slime in my hair once too. Yes I did it, and doggone it, I'm gonna do it again.

I actually found some okra juice in my refrig. in a cup, but I can't remember when I put it in there, plus I'm in braids, so I ain't putting that in my hair.

Come to think of it I can knock out two birds with one stone now, okra juice and salt. I would have used it a lot more, but I have to season my food while it's cooking, so the salt and pepper would prevent me from using the juice most of the time.

It did very good in the hair as a treatment.

Do you think it could thicken hair, as well? How did you make okra juice? i've heard of okra oil, is juice made from boiled okra?

frizzy

I think it is good for overall health, I don't have enough experience with it to name any specifics.

Yep, I just put okra in less than an inch of water in a pot and boil. Eat the okra and reserve the slime. I think I just poured this on my head in sections concentrating on the scalp and then rinsed it out after a while.

phive34

IDK but this was posted by Infojunkie in the Best Speedy Hair Growers thread( I still don't know how to copy thresds(sorry)

How to use 'okra' to let your hair grow in length and have more volume , this really works

By bessy
okra
Rate: (4 Ratings)
A lot of us would want our hair to be longer or have more volume. Nowadays it is easy to have longer or fuller hair, you can easily add weave or use a wig. To have your own hair reach the desired length feels fantastic and natural. This is the way we do in the Caribbean: we use okra. You’ll be surprised. Okra functions as a substantial that makes your hair roots strong and will let it grow.It also gives a special glance to your hair.

Instructions

Difficulty: Moderate

Things You’ll Need:

Your own hair,never use okra on weave,even if the weave is human hair young medium size okra’s for each treatment (must be young and not hard)
Time:4 – 5 hours to let your hair wind dry (don’t use a electronic hair dryer)

Step1
hair Wash your hair, don't use conditioner, the okra will work as a special natural conditioner .Towel dry it
Step2
Take 3 okra’ s (very young ones) ,place them in the refrigerator for 2 hours ,take them out , of the refrigerator ,put them in a bowl of water for 15 minutes, take them out of the water, remove the stalk and rub the okra' s to a lotion in your hands with a little bit of salt until completely smashed and slimy .
Step3
comthrough Spread the smashed and slimy okra in your entire hair and comb through.
Let the okra dry in your hair, and then comb through with a big comb, taking out all rest pieces of okra-skin out of your hair.
Step4
okra When your hair has dried completely ,comb through and style as usual after you’ve washed it: with hair styling lotion, grease or gel.
Do not wash for 3 weeks and you will be surprised that your hair will grow 1-2 cm in length and will have more volume. The okra is a natural way of strengthening your hair roots and helps it to have more length and volume. It will give a special glance at your hair. Repeat as desired

Last edited:

michaela

Natural 4b
Idk about the Conditioner.I tried that a while back it was really hard to Get out:nono:

I would Recommend just Focusing on the Scalp instead of the length.

natieya

Hmm, very interesting...

I think it is good for overall health, I don't have enough experience with it to name any specifics.

Yep, I just put okra in less than an inch of water in a pot and boil. Eat the okra and reserve the slime. I think I just poured this on my head in sections concentrating on the scalp and then rinsed it out after a while.

IDK but this was posted by Infojunkie in the Best Speedy Hair Growers thread( I still don't know how to copy thresds(sorry)

How to use 'okra' to let your hair grow in length and have more volume , this really works

By bessy
okra
A lot of us would want our hair to be longer or have more volume. Nowadays it is easy to have longer or fuller hair, you can easily add weave or use a wig. To have your own hair reach the desired length feels fantastic and natural. This is the way we do in the Caribbean: we use okra. You’ll be surprised. Okra functions as a substantial that makes your hair roots strong and will let it grow.It also gives a special glance to your hair.

Instructions

Things You’ll Need:

Your own hair,never use okra on weave,even if the weave is human hair young medium size okra’s for each treatment (must be young and not hard)

Step1
hair Wash your hair, don't use conditioner, the okra will work as a special natural conditioner .Towel dry it
Step2
Take 3 okra’ s (very young ones) ,place them in the refrigerator for 2 hours ,take them out , of the refrigerator ,put them in a bowl of water for 15 minutes, take them out of the water, remove the stalk and rub the okra' s to a lotion in your hands with a little bit of salt until completely smashed and slimy .
Step3
comthrough Spread the smashed and slimy okra in your entire hair and comb through.
Let the okra dry in your hair, and then comb through with a big comb, taking out all rest pieces of okra-skin out of your hair.
Step4
okra When your hair has dried completely ,comb through and style as usual after you’ve washed it: with hair styling lotion, grease or gel.
Do not wash for 3 weeks and you will be surprised that your hair will grow 1-2 cm in length and will have more volume. The okra is a natural way of strengthening your hair roots and helps it to have more length and volume. It will give a special glance at your hair. Repeat as desired

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

I really wanna try this...i need the volume...anyone gonna give it try? How about you, Natieya?

BTW, enjoyed chatting on Saturday....:grin:

Muffinz05

Speaking of okra, has anyone heard of lush? I went to their website and yes they sell okra conditioner. Maybe it is healty for the hair.

txnatural409

By bessy
okra

Instructions

Things You’ll Need:

Step1
Step2
Step3
Step4

Bumping for results....have anyone tried this before?

teysmith

i luv okra! its Yummy! I can eat it but I wouldnt put it in my hair...unless it was going to give me miracalous results!!!