OMG! HAS ANYONE SEEN THIS TUTORIAL?!

marla

Well, I was one of those blow dry, then flat iron gals, and I broke my hair off. I wish I had tried it this way at least to see if it was better. I would probably try it on damp hair just so the steam wouldn't burn me.

ladylibra

ok Iris, i see where your coming from 100% but... that girl in the video... :perplexed that would be a total turn-off for me to flat iron wet-to-dry.

the "bubble hair" damage caused by frying your hair with heat appliances is not a myth... it is very real. i've SEEN it. on my own strands, no less. however, it's not JUST caused by flat irons. i've seen women who blowdry or do blowouts with the same issue. different things affect different people's hair differently. and yes, the execution of the techinque makes a huge difference.

i've flat-ironed damp hair before. the results weren't stunning enough to continue with the pain of scalding my scalp :lol: so i don't do it anymore. but yet and still... i get the best results if i blowdry or airdry but my hair is only 80% dry when i flat iron. so there is something to be said about that.

Irresistible

Last edited:

Irresistible

ok Iris, i see where your coming from 100% but... that girl in the video... :perplexed that would be a total turn-off for me to flat iron wet-to-dry.

the "bubble hair" damage caused by frying your hair with heat appliances is not a myth... it is very real. i've SEEN it. on my own strands, no less. however, it's not JUST caused by flat irons. i've seen women who blowdry or do blowouts with the same issue. different things affect different people's hair differently. and yes, the execution of the techinque makes a huge difference.

i've flat-ironed damp hair before. the results weren't stunning enough to continue with the pain of scalding my scalp :lol: so i don't do it anymore. but yet and still... i get the best results if i blowdry or airdry but my hair is only 80% dry when i flat iron. so there is something to be said about that.
well girl I have never seen the bubble hair, I cant say one way or another,but I should have it :grin:

yes that video was a bit extreme, but I have done soaking wet pressing too-no scalding-that goes with technique too, but I cant speak on what could happen with a flat iron, because I am using a comb, not compressing my hair between two plates, the pressing comb is giving constant air exposure, the wet to dry irons are supposed to have steam escape vents, i dont know if thats the kind of iron she used

but yeah her technique :ohwell: well she was just doing it for the first time......so that explains that I suppose

Irresistible

Well, I was one of those blow dry, then flat iron gals, and I broke my hair off. I wish I had tried it this way at least to see if it was better. I would probably try it on damp hair just so the steam wouldn't burn me.

I think anyone trying this should just do it on only damp hair

I am very used to doing this so it doesnt matter to me, but for anyone just trying this out, damp would be best

I also feel just damp would be best for flat ironing and relaxed hair

lashannasmall

If you read the those bottles of heat protectant, one of the main ingrediants is water, so this makes since and the hair care industry is probably just ripping everyone off

SparklingFlame

So far no one has shown me where adding steam to your hair via a flat iron ( Maxiglide) is damaging.

Guess no one wants to touch that one. :lachen:

Last edited:

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

If you read the those bottles of heat protectant, one of the main ingrediants is water, so this makes since and the hair care industry is probably just ripping everyone off

I believe everyone is being ripped off about a lot of products in the haircare industry. I believe that they put certain chemicals in to do just enough damage so you'd be inclined to purchase their "synergistically formulated" conditioners. What about hype on brand name? I just learned that the Biosilk flat iron IS the CHI iron and knew they were made by Farouk but didn't know they were the same exact irons in technology and quality. Rip off. And the Feather Flat irons are made of steel and provide the same shine and straightening (actually, superior) to these electric flat irons and these are heated in an oven.

So, from so-called natural products that often do not perform to the man-made petroleum-based products that are supposed to be harmful, I've become very astute in checking out products and reliability. I used to believe lots of hype but it's come down to this - whatever works is that which is best. Incidentally, I use some natural products (raw materials) as well as petroleum-based ones and believe I've reached product nirvana lol!:lachen:

Lucky's Mom

Well, it looks likes this debate is going to rage on:lachen::lachen:

I - for one would think it silly to flat iron Dripping wet hair.... But - no one is supposed to blow Dry, or excessively Comb Dripping wet hair.....

We love running from water.... :lachen:
I will post my damp to dry results Dec 20th! Stay tuned!

And BTW - Damp and Wet ( for me ) are totally different concepts..
:yep:

SparklingFlame

Well, it looks likes this debate is going to rage on:lachen::lachen:

I - for one would think it silly to flat iron Dripping wet hair.... But - no one is supposed to blow Dry, or excessively Comb Dripping wet hair.....

We love running from water.... :lachen:
I will post my damp to dry results Dec 20th! Stay tuned!

And BTW - Damp and Wet ( for me ) are totally different concepts..
:yep:
Yes ITA.

You wouldnt put soaking wet clothes in the dryer to dry would you?

You shouldnt attempt to flat iron soaking wet hair either.

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

So far no one has shown me where adding steam to your hair via a flat iron ( Maxiglide) is damaging.

Guess no one wants to touch that one. :lachen:

Is Maxiglide your only iron? I love your hair texture because it's full of body and not flat-ironed-to-death. Does the hair hold more moisture with Maxiglide?

SparklingFlame

Is Maxiglide your only iron? I love your hair texture because it's full of body and not flat-ironed-to-death. Does the hair hold more moisture with Maxiglide?
Thanks!

Yes the Maxiglide is the only flat iron that I own.

I only use it every once in a while. The steam makes the hair moisturized IMO.

laCriolla

has anyone seen part 3? after she flat irons it dry, she flat irons AGAIN - the whole length of hair, and bumps the ends.

Lucky's Mom

has anyone seen part 3? after she flat irons it dry, she flat irons AGAIN - the whole length of hair, and bumps the ends.

Well - I think that the biggest problem with most of these 'tutorials' ( I use that term loosely) is most of these people ( NOT ALL!!!!) don't know what they are doing.

Some people make TONS :jester:of passes while flat ironing.... They :blah: on the video - and use the iron, and make pass after pass....

Have you ever seen that in the salon?

I know I bash Stylists, But - The one or two people (professionals)that have Flat ironed my hair - have used ONE pass, maybe two - to get it straight. This is why it is important to know what Temp is right for your hair. We know those MARCEL irons get as hot as 500 degrees... ( too hot for ALL HAIR)

I know that my hair - needs:burning:heat... to get my hair straight...to go from:locks:to :kiss3: and I have had no damage.

A flat iron, FOR ME ( Like Atteya says) that heats up to 430 - 450 degrees ( with PROTECTION) gets my hair straight in one pass. Any lower... Tons of passes.... And it is still not straight enough.

Not every girl that jumps on YouTube knows what she is doing...

vestaluv1

Ok, so obviously the sizzling noise was just the sound of the water in her hair evaporating as the heat came into contact with it... IT STILL LOOKED TRAUMATIC THOUGH :ohwell:.

Wildkat08

Bump Bump... Anyone still flat ironing wet/damp? Someone used the wet 2 dry croc flat iron on me once (on dry hair) and my hair was fabulous!!!! Since I've been contemplating getting this iron b/c I know it works well on dry hair, I'd like to try it on damp hair too. What ya'll think?

Nonie

Bump Bump... Anyone still flat ironing wet/damp? Someone used the wet 2 dry croc flat iron on me once (on dry hair) and my hair was fabulous!!!! Since I've been contemplating getting this iron b/c I know it works well on dry hair, I'd like to try it on damp hair too. What ya'll think?

:wave: Here! Won't flat iron any other way.