on the flip side- things you can't do with long hair...

Aviah

I've been so focused on getting my hair to a certain length for so long now. Now that it's growing and doing better than ever before, I find its easier to get hair-bored after you escape the PSing.... I'm not sure if its because my hair frizzes at the drop of a hat or the fact that its different layers (shortest being SL) but having my hair this long isn't what I expected. I think I might be anti-climaxing. But braiding my hair takes longer, DCing takes longer, trying to use my heated rollers and get smooth curls first time- not happening. Now I'm actually evaluating, beyond the simple fact of having long hair, what can I really do with it? Especially with the versatility of being natural, you would think braidouts (get my hair tangled/dry), twistouts (hair seems to thin for that), bantu-knot-outs (always alittle too tight) , cornrows (starting to get bored of those), twists (very tangled after a week and the shrinkage start to kill it), afro puffs/afro, WnG's (all three seem to beg for SSK's when done more than occasionally), and even straight hair (frizz & fuss) would be my friends...

Anyone else feel there's "less" you can do as your hair gets longer?

nappytherapy

You are right, now that I am APL, I get bored so quickly, and I feel like I need to cut and regrow some hair (to give myself a challenge)

Things I can't do - Well my wash and go does not look the same (esp since I have no defined hair cut, everything is uneven)

LynnieB

Wash and go's - fuggetaboutit.

No frohawks for me.

Trying to put in cornrows, especially straight back ones for an "out" style is an exercise in :wallbash::wallbash:.

Stuff takes a little longer but it's not a big deal.

Trying to wrestle my hair into a nice rollerset is really a giant pain in the arse not to mention drying time. :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Besides that, nope. Lots of styling options available and can make long hair look short if I get bored.

Guess it all just depends on the person and how much time and effort they want to put into managing their hair.

TeeWhyAre

LynnieB... GIMME YO HAIR, NOW! I swear fo' gawd, i will :axehunter: you for your hair...

ok... not for real... but i love it.

Aviah

Wash and go's - fuggetaboutit.

No frohawks for me.

Trying to put in cornrows, especially straight back ones for an "out" style is an exercise in :wallbash::wallbash:.

Stuff takes a little longer but it's not a big deal.

Trying to wrestle my hair into a nice rollerset is really a giant pain in the arse not to mention drying time. :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Besides that, nope. Lots of styling options available and can make long hair look short if I get bored.

Guess it all just depends on the person and how much time and effort they want to put into managing their hair.

I think the time factor I can get used to, its just that I wanted "more". Any style ideas?

BlackMasterPiece

hmmm I can't do wash and go's at all...like....at all if I had a twa then I'd go to town with the wash and go's....but I think that has more to do with my texture....

there are certain styles that are sooooo cute but take entirely too long in longer natural hair like comb coils, straw sets (sometimes)....they can be done, its just more of a pain....

other then that I can pretty much do anything in my hair. I can do twists and look like I have an inverted bob, I can straighten and show off my MBL length....I can pretty much do whatever with my natural hair...so I'm happy:yep:

LynnieB

LynnieB... GIMME YO HAIR, NOW! I swear fo' gawd, i will :axehunter: you for your hair...

ok... not for real... but i love it.

:rosebud: Thank-you TeeWhyAre!!! :rosebud:

I think the time factor I can get used to, its just that I wanted "more". Any style ideas?

I live in out styles so far this winter (even though I said I'd be doing more protective styles). Twistouts, braidouts with wet and damp hair. Lately I've been blow drying then make 10-12 loose twists or braids and wearing those for a few days (usually with a headband) then outing those too. Some times I comb out some of the texture of the outstyles for a big bushy ponytail.

Oh yea, sometimes the twists/braids are big, sometimes they are pretty small - all variety.

Straightened styles with buns and ponytails, etc. Even did a flexirod set for a while.

Nothing fabulous or amazingly different or stunning but they look nice and the styles are always predictable.

Aviah, why don't you try to find some nice wigs or hair pieces. I've never worn them but lots of ladies seem to have a great time with different looks without committing to something permanent. Leave your hair alone for a while. Perhaps this is just a phase you're going through and you need a temporary break from your hair?

ClassicBeauty

I try to warn people about this all the time!
After your natural hair gets to a certain length, you really have to think about what to do with all of it. That's why my hair is straight most of the time.

Aviah

:rosebud: Thank-you TeeWhyAre!!! :rosebud:

I live in out styles so far this winter (even though I said I'd be doing more protective styles). Twistouts, braidouts with wet and damp hair. Lately I've been blow drying then make 10-12 loose twists or braids and wearing those for a few days (usually with a headband) then outing those too. Some times I comb out some of the texture of the outstyles for a big bushy ponytail.

Oh yea, sometimes the twists/braids are big, sometimes they are pretty small - all variety.

Straightened styles with buns and ponytails, etc. Even did a flexirod set for a while.

Nothing fabulous or amazingly different or stunning but they look nice and the styles are always predictable.

Aviah, why don't you try to find some nice wigs or hair pieces. I've never worn them but lots of ladies seem to have a great time with different looks without committing to something permanent. Leave your hair alone for a while. Perhaps this is just a phase you're going through and you need a temporary break from your hair?

Thanks LynnieB,
The funniest thing is I had my hair in braids for about 8 weeks and ran a flat iron through it last week for the first time since November. I just washed it today and was hair-bored.
I've tried weave once and am thinking about maybe trying it again for a little bit, but last time I really didn't like the fake hair thing. I was thinking of waering straight hair more but heat damage and my hair not acting right will annoy the life outta me. I think I'll just do more "out" styles and hope it doesnt ruin my progress. Or just resort back to braids....

lizzyb168

^^you definately can have length and style at the same time. Its just the amount of time and effort you put into it.

Aviah

this is something to think about. Is it more important to have length or to have style?

^^you definately can have length and style at the same time. Its just the amount of time and effort you put into it.

Very true. I want length more than style sometimes but in the long run I want style over length. No point having long hair and not being able to do anything with it. However like Lizzyb said you can do it, it will just take longer. Do I have the time/patience? That is more of the question.

I'll still shoot for WL but if I get bored just cut it to MBL I guess!