Only washing once a week? YOUR HAIR MAY BE BREAKING... a sweat.

chayil0427

Hey ladies

Through the winter I washed about once a week with Nexxus and all was well.

Well this week Texas is seeing its usual stiffling summer heat, and my air is out on my car. So on my way home from work I sweat A LOT.

Before bed I was just moisturizing and tying my hair down as usual, but it was feeling so dry.

Today when I washed I realised that my hair was FULL of sweat. I could taste it as the water ran from my hair across my face. Sweat was drying out my hair!

Now, freshly washed, it feels soft and has a nice luster. I realise that I'm going to have to wash a lot more this summer -- possibly daily, and I shouldn't worry because each time I wash I'm ADDING moisture. I will be skipping out on the blow dryer and using the cool setting on my pibbs to dry.

So I encourage those of you who sweat during the day...especially if you work out regularly to wash your hair when you get home! If you don't you may be letting dirt, oil, sweat, and bacteria live in your beautiful mane!

Chayil

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing
I agree. It gets hot up here in D.C. and my head sweats. I conditioner wash daily, but lately I've been increasing my shampoos to 2-3x a week.

Now, if too much washing and manipulation is harming someone's hair, then I wouldn't advise to do the daily washing, but if your hair is benefiting from it, then it wouldn't hurt to try.

shunta

Girl, you are right about this Texas heat. It aint no joke!! Unfortunately, I cant wash everyday but I do wash about twice weekly so my hair wont be smelling sweaty. That wouldnt be a good thing.

SignatureBeauty

shunta said:
Girl, you are right about this Texas heat. It aint no joke!! Unfortunately, I cant wash everyday but I do wash about twice weekly so my hair wont be smelling sweaty. That wouldnt be a good thing.

Okay!!! Texas heat is a Killer on Hair, I Conditioner Wash Daily or everyother Day, because my head sweats alot and I am always outside and when I dont' wash, my hair starts to feel funny and my face seems to start to breakout. So I gotta keep the hair and scalp clean plus smelling good:D

longhairluva

This is the exact reason I put co washing into my regimine. I workout and the sweat was eating my hair up and drying it out.

NuMe2004

chayil0427 said:
So I encourage those of you who sweat during the day...especially if you work out regularly to wash your hair when you get home! If you don't you may be letting dirt, oil, sweat, and bacteria live in your beautiful mane!

Chayil

I totally agree with you. I work out regularly and must rinse or conditioner wash my hair often. It is necessary to keep the scalp clean and free of dirt/oil in order to encourage new growth. That and sweat can be a kILLER on the hair as you mention. All the salt in sweat is VERY drying.

Mahalialee4

I keep my hair up and tied up so it stays cleaner but if my head or hair smells sweaty I have to wash it. Sweaty hair smells bad! bonjour

blue_flower

TSUprincess04 said:
I agree. It gets hot up here in D.C. and my head sweats. I conditioner wash daily, but lately I've been increasing my shampoos to 2-3x a week.

Now, if too much washing and manipulation is harming someone's hair, then I wouldn't advise to do the daily washing, but if your hair is benefiting from it, then it wouldn't hurt to try.

I agree with you. I work out a lot and I'll wash my hair at least 2 days a week. If I don't rinse/or wash my hair, my scalp becomes very irritated and I believe it also causes my dandruff to act up.

amina kamal

When I lived in Brazil I noticed that the women, yes black women with texturized 4a/b hair, would wash their hair everyday in that 100+ heat. I started doing it too and my hair thrived too as a result.

Lusa

I tend to wash my hair more often during the summer, and when I exercise I wash my hair afterwards because sweat will dry my hair out and lead to breakage if not nipped in the bud.

chayil0427

Lusa said:
I tend to wash my hair more often during the summer, and when I exercise I wash my hair afterwards because sweat will dry my hair out and lead to breakage if not nipped in the bud.

Yep...my hair feels tons better today after washing out all the sweat.

Chayil

preciousjewel76

I agree. I shampoo once a week and cowash once a week. I live in Georgia (which is hotter than Hades in the summer), and I work out several days a week. I can't stand to have sweaty hair! If I don't wash immediately after a workout, I at least rinse my hairline & nape (where I sweat the most) with water in the shower. I may start cowashing 2x per week.