Oprah's wears weave. (Why do celebs do this..?)

"To each his (her) own". Why does anyone owe someone else an explanation of anything? Its hair - not that serious.

Yes that was the pic I was trying to post. It showed up for me *shrugs*

I guess I just feel like Oprah shouldve said, "There are times that I DO wear weaves but in that pic, that is my REAL HAIR."

But youre probably right. Its not that serious. And Im sure to most of us on LHCF it really ISNT that serious. I just remember back in HS, and even now.,.some of my female friends hate themselves due to blacks taking on the european standards.

I completely agree with this part. And it also sounds like most of you guys have not seen that particular episode. She was clearly answering 2 FAQs at the end of her show, which I saw all of. But here's a clip I found for you.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/04/24/oprah-defends-her-hair-th_n_191287.html

BTW, she would be a fool not to wear weaves/wigs. Cause I wouldn't let a stylist damage my natural hair either.

"To each his (her) own". Why does anyone owe someone else an explanation of anything? Its hair - not that serious.

I Love myself some Oprah, and she doesn't owe any one an explanation about her hair. Which is why she should not have brought it up. Especially since she decided to tell only half the truth.

Yes, this was taken out of context. That still didn't stop the 'Why don't people think black women can't have long hair?' crew from speaking up in that other thread. People assumed her straight, pressed style was a weave because Oprah does indeed wear weaves at times. When Oprah came out and said that style was her real hair, people started with the 'That's sad, black women are always accused of wearing weaves.' Well duh, people who knew that Oprah wears weaves and wigs would naturally think her pressed style was a wig.

This is EXACTLY where I was coming from and what I thought. I've never seen a late ninteties episode of Oprah I wouldve been anywhere between the ages 8-10 so I've never seen any episode if there was one of her talking about weaves and this is why I thought she shouldve clarified it because I thought she was saying that this has been her real hair the whole time until I came across the picture. But TY.

Ty for your adding to the thread. It's just a discussion though I'm not threatening Oprah with a spoon or nothing.<3

I saw a show once where she said she wore weaves- especially in the summer to give her hair a rest and this was in the late 90's so it was no big secret.

I think a lot of celebs wear weaves and wigs because their hair would not survive the constant style changes. I remember reading that Maddona had constant hair issues in the 80's and 90's due to all the dye jobs etc before weaves/hair peices became so popular. So I imagine for people who have afro hair they have to ensure they protect their hair from constant styling procedures even more so because our hair needs more TLC to thrive.

See I wouldve been around 7-10 during this time so I completely missed these episodes.

Last edited:
I agree I don't know what the point is to lying. I too used to take the hair magazines to the shop and the stylist would be like thats a wig or weave. Isn't it just easier to say that you wear a weave to protect your real hair from all the constant styling, lights and heat? Its really not as taboo as it used to be if you are going to wear one you should be comfortable with it. Just my humble opinion.

Weaves are protective styling and she does have different engagements in the day. You want your hair to be fly without sitting down for countless hours without having to do much.

That woman has the $ to do whatever she wants to her hair, just as we do. Weaves are just another styling option in my opinion. If someone sported a weave and said it was their hair, they are still right because they bought it.:lachen:

That, being ashamed of wearing weaves played out in the early 90's. If they don't knock it off, Fake Hiar is a way of life now, for all Colors!

Cuz I Loves Me some Extras! Holla!

OP I totally understand how you feel but I do believe you've got her statement totally wrong. At no time did she say she doesn't or never wear weaves. As a matter of fact, that picture with the weave is one of her old styles that she wore over and over before she started pressing her hair straight and wearing it out. On the day she made the statement that "this was all her hair", that was the day she did not have any extensions and she was sporting her real pressed hair out for a couple of shows before she went on break.

That woman has the $ to do whatever she wants to her hair, just as we do. Weaves are just another styling option in my opinion. If someone sported a weave and said it was their hair, they are still right because they bought it.:lachen:
LMAOOOOO TRUE!

OP I totally understand how you feel but I do believe you've got her statement totally wrong. At no time did she say she doesn't or never wear weaves. As a matter of fact, that picture with the weave is one of her old styles that she wore over and over before she started pressing her hair straight and wearing it out. On the day she made the statement that "this was all her hair", that was the day she did not have any extensions and she was sporting her real pressed hair out for a couple of shows before she went on break.

TY. I do agree that I've got her statement wrong but coming from someone who was never able to see her previous 90's shows on weaves I thought she was making a statement about all of it being her hair. TY for clarifying. I think its wonderful to be guided into the right direction to the correct information than to be rude about it. So I thank you sooo much! <3

The issue is not that weaves are sending a bad message, it's about leading people to believe all that indian yaky sewn onto your scalp is actually growing from it. I have no problem with weaves or wigs, but I would be upset if someone said "yeah this is my hair" then a track fell out.

:lachen: too funny

I think that Oprah wears lacefronts just like all the other celebs! I don't think it's really a big deal though..... but that's jmho.

OP I do see where you are coming from. I read this entire post and watched the video. If you didn't know better, then of course you would think she was saying she never wore weaves because she didn't address that. She could have addressed it too because the whole reason she talked about her real hair was because people were asking if she wore her real hair or if it was a weave. She didn't really answer the question which was whether she wore weaves or not.

Don't get me wrong I love Oprah dearly. And at the same time... I completely and totally understand what the OP is saying here after watching the video. If Oprah had truly been concerned about answering the FAQ she would have added "yes this is all my hair, BUT sometimes I do prefer to wear weaves, extensions...etc" --

Y'all she left that part out...she didn't answer the viewers question. Wonder why? It's not big deal and maybe it isn't our business....if that is the case then why did she address the FAQ at all?

Last edited:
OP, oprah was responding to a direct question. She was asked what kind of weave she had when she was wearing her hair straight, and she said that that was actually her hair. Then she showed a picture of herself in the morning with unstraightened hair; she never said she presses her hair everyday either.

She never said that the curly style was her hair. She never said that she does not wear wigs or weaves. But why would anyone broadcast the fact that they wear a wig from time to time, you don't hear me talking about my wig at work either.

So she never lied

OP, oprah was responding to a direct question. She was asked what kind of weave she had when she was wearing her hair straight, and she said that that was actually her hair. Then she showed a picture of herself in the morning with unstraightened hair; she never said she presses her hair everyday either.

She never said that the curly style was her hair. She never said that she does not wear wigs or weaves. But why would anyone broadcast the fact that they wear a wig from time to time, you don't hear me talking about my wig at work either.

So she never lied

Ok so I just watched the video a second time and the question was "Am I wearing a weave" -- I am quoting her words. Her answer to the question was not a lie. She answered "No" because at that moment she was wearing her real hair (it's beautiful by the way); however it's what she DIDN'T say that has people curious. If she was going to answer the question why not add; but yes I do sometimes wear tracks, wig, etc...

Again, I love Oprah, but this to me was a little misleading. This is an example of what celebrities do sometimes and we have to remember that. I don't think she is a liar either. Nor do I really care if her hair is real or fake, but I do get interested when someone very cleverly leaves information out. It's kinda funny. I'm just sayin...

Ok so I just watched the video a second time and the question was "Am I wearing a weave" -- I am quoting her words. Her answer to the question was not a lie. She answered "No" because at that moment she was wearing her real hair (it's beautiful by the way); however it's what she DIDN'T say that has people curious. If she was going to answer the question why not add; but yes I do sometimes wear tracks, wig, etc...

Again, I love Oprah, but this to me was a little misleading. This is an example of what celebrities do sometimes and we have to remember that. I don't think she is a liar either. Nor do I really care if her hair is real or fake, but I do get interested when someone very cleverly leaves information out. It's kinda funny. I'm just sayin...

Yes it is very clever, but we all do it. People are not in public discussing their mega padded bra, girdles, or make up secrets. However, when we have something that we our proud of, like having pretty hair, most of us are quick to correct people that it is not a weave. At then end of the day you can't please everyone, people will assume what they want

Yes it is very clever, but we all do it. People are not in public discussing their mega padded bra, girdles, or make up secrets. However, when we have something that we our proud of, like having pretty hair, most of us are quick to correct people that it is not a weave. At then end of the day you can't please everyone, people will assume what they want

You are right. Celebs do the same things that we do. They are just people like us. I think it's easy for me to forget that sometimes. We have to remember to try not to make them out to be more than that.

I am glad she showed her natural hair (pre-pressed) like she did. This is what I think people love about her. She doesn't hesitate to show us the "real" her. No makeup, natural hair and all! Her hair is beautiful and I am proud to see how healthy and long it appears to be. She even had some "swang" with her curls!

Back